WADESON, Richard. (reg No. 1255).
Lieutenant. 75th Regiment. *
London Gazetted on 24th December 1858.
VC Medal's Custodian is the Gordon Highlanders Museum, Aberdeen, Scotland.
Born on 31st July 1826 at Lancaster, Lancashire.
Died on 24th January 1885 at Chelsea, London.
Memorial on grave at Brompton Cemetery, London and at the Royal Hospital, Chelsea.
Digest of Citation reads:
During the engagement in the Subjee Mundee, at Delhi, India on the 18th July 1857, when Private Michael Farrell was being attacked by a sowar of the enemy cavalry, Lieutenant Wadeson attacked and killed the Private's attacker, thus saving his life. Later on the same day, lying wounded, Private John Barry, of the 75th Regiment was also being attacked by an enemy cavalryman when Lieutenant Wadeson came to his aid and attacked and killed the sowar .
* Gordon Highlanders.
Additional information: Colonel Wadeson saw considerable action during the Indian Mutiny, including Badlu Keserai, Siege and capture of Delhi, India, receiving the medal and clasp. Promoted to Captain in 1864, Major in 1872, and Lieutenant Colonel in 1877. He commanded the 75th Regiment and became Colonel in 1880. Until his death in January 1885, at the age of 58, he was the Lieutenant Governor of the Royal Chelsea Hospital where he resided.

WAIN, Richard William Leslie. (reg No. 1256).
Captain. 'A' Battalion. Tank Corps.
London Gazetted on 13th February 1918.
VC Medal is in private ownership..
Born on the 5th December, 1896 at Penarth, Glamorganshire, Wales.
Killed in action on 20th November 1917, Marcoing, France.
Remembered on the Canbrai Memorial, France and in Llandaff Cathedral, Glamorganshire, Wales.
Digest of Citation reads:
Near Canbrai, in France, at Marcoing on 20th November 1917, Captain Wain and another soldier were the only survivors, both seriously wounded after an attack. The tank, in which they both were, was severely disabled by a direct hit. They were near an enemy strong point which was holding up the attack. Although he was bleeding profusely, he refused medical attention and rushed from the rear of the tank armed with a Lewis gun. He successfully captured the enemy position, taking half of the enemy garrison as prisoners. Picking up a rifle, he continued to fire after the retreating enemy, in spite of the fact that his wounds are extremely serious. He continued firing until he was killed, by a sniper, with a shot to the head. It was owing to Captain Wain's extreme bravery that his comrades were able to advance.
Additional information:. Captain Richard Wain was the son of Mr Harry Swain of 4, The Avenue, Llandaff and his wife Florence Emily (née Tucker). Educated at Llandaff Cathedral School and also at St Bees College, Cumberland. He joined the Public School Corps of the Middlesex Regiment, being amongst the first to volunteer. On 16th July 1915 he was commissioned Second Lieutenant in the Manchester Regiment. 12th July 1916 promoted to Lieutenant and then to Acting Captain the following 12th November.
On the 1st July 1916 he took part in the charge on the Somme of the Manchester Regiment where he was wounded.

WAKEFORD, Richard. (reg No. 1257).
Captain. 2nd /4th Battalion. Hampshire Regiment. *
London Gazetted on the 13th July 1944.
VC Medal's Custodian is The Worshipful Haberdashers Company, City of London, London.
Born on 23rd July 1921 at London.
Died on 27th August 1972 at Leatherhead, Surrey.
Memorial at Randall's Park Crematorium, Leatherhead, Surrey.
Digest of Citation reads:
Captain WakeFord was in command of the company which was leading the attack on the two hills near Cassino, Italy on 13th May 1944. Armed with a revolver, and accompanied by his orderly, he killed several of the enemy, taking 20 prisoners. The final objective, a house vigorously defended by a German officer in five men, was attacked by Captain Wakeford, who was driven back twice by grenades, before he managed a to make final run to reach the window, through which he was able to throw his grenades. Some of the enemy were killed and wounded, the remainder surrendered. The following day, after the initial surprise had been lost, a tank having become bogged down, they came under extremely heavy fire from the enemy which caused many casualties. Although wounded in both arms and the face, Captain Wakeford crossed the start line, leading his men forward. On the way up the Hill they came under heavy fire from Spandau guns. Despite his wounds he led an attack and dealt with the opposition. His company now came under heavy mortar fire and he was again wounded in the legs, but he carried on until he reached and consolidated his objective.
* Royal Hampshire Regiment.
Additional information:. Major Wakeford became a barrister, and in 1964 was appointed a Master of the Chancery Division of the Supreme Court. On his death on 27th August 1972, he was cremated at Randall Park Crematorium in Leatherhead, Surrey, aged 51.

WAKENSHAW, Adam Herbert. (reg No. 1258).
Private. 9th Battalion. Durham Light Infantry.
London Gazetted on 11th September 1942.
VC medal not necessarily available to the public.
Born on the 9th June 1940 at Newcastle upon Tyne, Northumberland.
Killed in action on 27th June 1942 at Mersa Matruh, Egypt.
Memorial on grave at El Alamein War Cemetery and on a plaque at St Aloysius Secondary School, Newcastle upon Tyne, Northumberland.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 27th June, 1942 in the Western Desert, South of Mersa Matruh, Egypt, Private Wakenshaw was a crew member of a two pounder anti-tank gun, during an attack by the enemy who silenced the gun and killed or seriously wounded all crew. In the action Private Wakenshaw lost his left arm but he managed to crawl back to his gun. With one arm he loaded the gun, firing five more rounds with some considerable effect. An enemy shell blew him away from the gun and he was again seriously wounded. He managed to crawl back once more, and was preparing to fire again, when a direct hit on the ammunition killed him and destroyed the gun.

WALFORD, Garth Neville. (reg No. 1259).
Captain. Royal Regiment of Artillery.
London Gazetted on 23rd June 1915.
VC Medal is in private ownership..
Born on the 27th May, 1882 at Frimley, Surrey.
Killed in action on 26th April 1915 at Sedd-el Bahr, Gallipoli.
Memorial on grave at V Beach, Gallipoli, also in both , Chagford Church, Devon and Exeter Cathedral.
Digest of Citation reads:
After a landing had been established on V Beach at a point on the Gallipoli peninsular on 26th April 1915, both the Brigadier General and the Brigade Major had been killed . Lieutenant Colonel Doughty-Wylie and Captain Walford devised and led an attack on going, both through and each side of Sedd-el-Bahr village, to the Castle that crowned the top of the hill. This position was defended strongly by concealed machine runs, pom-poms and the enemy troops were well entrenched. However, the attack was a success, due mainly to the initiative, skill and outstanding courage displayed by these two officers. Unfortunately, they both met their deaths at the moment of victory.

WALKER, Mark. (reg No. 1260).
Lieutenant. 30th Regiment. *
London Gazetted on 2nd June 1858.
VC Medal's Custodian is the National Army Museum, London.
Born on 24th November 1827 at Gore Port, Finca, County Westmeath, Ireland.
Died on 18th July 1902 at Arlington, Devon.
Memorial on grave at Cheriton Road Cemetery, Folkestone, Kent, also in Canterbury Cathedral.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 5th November 1854, Lieutenant Walker distinguished himself before his regiment, by jumping over a wall at Inkerman, Crimea, to face the oncoming two battalions of Russian infantry. His purpose was to encourage his comrades by setting an example and then advance against a far superior force. He succeeded in, not only getting support from his men, but also in driving back the two battalions .
* East Lancashire Regiment.
Additional information:. General Sir Mark Walker, also held the Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath (KCB).
It was reported that as the Russians grew nearer, the position grew desperate. Lieutenant Walker realised that his men might become nervous, so seizing the psychological moment, he jumped over the wall, calling for his troops to follow, with bayonets fixed. The Russians became panic-stricken at their sudden appearance before them. Despite the threats and cajoling of their superior officers they retreated swiftly in disorder. They were pursued for some distance by Lieutenant Walker and his men. He later led an attack on a Russian rifle pit, and destroyed it. After this he went to the Buffs where he was severely wounded in action, resulting in the loss of his right arm.
He had a distinguished career in the army, serving in the China war, which included the capture of the Taku Forts. He was mentioned in despatches, receiving the medal with two clasps. In 1861 he was promoted Brevet Lieutenant Colonel.
In 1881 he married Catherine Chichester, after which he lived at 10, Castle Avenue, Folkestone. He died at Arlington, Devon. His medals were presented to the first Battalion (miniatures) along with his grey overcoat and watch. In his memory, a bed was endowed at the Union Jack Club.

WALKER, William George. (reg No. 1261).
Captain. 4th Gurkha Rifles. Indian Army. *
London Gazetted on 7th August 1903.
VC Medal's Custodian is the National Army Museum, London.
Born on the 28th May, 1863 at Naini Tal, India.
Died on 16th February 1936 at Seaford, Sussex.
Memorial at Woodvale Crematorium, Woodvale Cemetery, Brighton, Sussex.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 22nd April 1903, during the return of Major Gough's column, after taking part in the action at Daratoleh, beause of the thick bush, the rearguard had been left considerably to the rear of the column. Whilst the wounded were being placed on camels, they had to fight and hold their ground. Captain Bruce, victim of a shot from 20 yards away, fell on to the path and was unable to move. Captain Walker and Captain Rolland, both of the Indian Army and with the Berbera Bohottle Flying Column, and a Somali soldier were alongside the captain when he fell. The column, unaware of their dilemma, were getting farther away. Captain Rolland ran back at least 500 yards to get help whilst Captain Walker and the men remained with the wounded Captain Bruce. Their time was spent keeping back the enemy who were placed all round them in the thick bush. Although they succeeded, the wounded captain was hit for a second time. The Sikh was also wounded. Had it not been for the actions of these men, Captain Bruce would almost certainly have fallen into enemy hands. Major Gough, returned to the assistance of the two captains and the wounded.
Additional information:. Major General Walker was made a Companion of the Order of the Bath (CB). He was the son of Deputy Surgeon-General W. Walker IMS. After his education at Haileybury he obtained his MA at St John's, Oxford. He joined the Suffolk Regiment in August 1885 as a Lieutenant. On the 28th May 1887 he became a Lieutenant in the Indian Staff Corps later being promoted to Captain on 29th August 1896.
In 1891 he saw service with the second Miranzai Expedition; the Waziristan Expedition in 1895; served in East Africa, in Somaliland seeing action at Daratoleh and Jidballi. He received medals and Clasps and was also mentioned in despatches.
Also commended, for their help in the rescue of Captain Bruce, were Sergeant Nderamani; Corporal Surmoni; Sowar Umar Ismail, of the Somali Camel Corps, all of the South African Rifles and Lance Naik Maieya Singh of the 24th of Beluchistan Regiment .

WALLACE, Samuel Thomas Dickson. (reg No. 1262).
Lieutenant. 'C' Battery. Royal Field Artillery. *
London Gazetted on 13th February 1918.
VC Medal's Custodian (on loan) is the Royal Regiment of Artillery Museum, The Royal Arsenal , Woolwich, London.
Born on a 7th March 1892 at Holmhill, Thornhill, Dumfriesshire.
Died on 2nd February 1968 at Moffatt, Scotland.
Memorial at Dumfries.
Digest of Citation reads:
When Lieutenant Wallace's battery had lost their commander and five sergeants owing to shell, machine gun, infantry and aircraft fire, leaving only five remaining on the day of 20th November 1917 at Gonnelieu, France. They were surrounded by enemy infantry, both front and rear. Lieutenant Wallace maintained the firing of the guns, the remaining men running from gun to gun and loading each one after they had swung the trails closer together. They inflicted severe casualties on the enemy, firing continually the whole of the time for over eight hours. They managed to assist not only other batteries, but also enabled some small infantry detachments to gain positions against great odds. His men, completely exhausted, were able to retire when Infantry support arrived. Lieutenant Wallace rendered the guns harmless by taking away essential parts. He was also able to take the wounded men along. His guns were eventually recovered.
* 63rd Brigade
Additional information:. Captain Wallace was made Deputy Director of Agriculture for the Central Province of India, from 1919 to 1932. He also served in the Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve from 1940-43 as Flight Lieutenant.
He was educated at Dumfriesshire Academy and also Edinburgh University where he obtained a BSc in Agriculture. He was a member of the OTC from 1911-14 before joining the army in October 1914 as a Lieutenant in the Royal Field Artillery.

WALLER, George. (reg No. 1263).
Colour-Sergeant . 1st Battalion. 60th Rifles. *
London Gazetted on 20th January 1860.
VC Medal's Custodian is the Royal Green Jackets Museum, Winchester.
Born in June 1827 at West Horsley, Guildford, Surrey.
Died on 10th January 1877 at Cuckfield, Sussex.
Interred in an unmarked grave at Holy Trinity churchyard, Hurstpierpoint, Sussex. Memorial on King's Royal Rifle Corps Memorial, Winchester Cathedral, Winchester.
Digest of Citation reads:
For conspicuous bravery on two occasions, during the Indian Mutiny, the 14th and 18th September 1857. The first occasion, the 14th September 1857, Colour-Sergeant Waller when he charged and captured the enemy's guns at the nearby Kabul Gate at Delhi, India, and on the second occasion, the 18th September, 1857 during the repulse of an attack by the enemy on the gun near the Chaudney Chouk. He was elected, by the Regiment, for the Victoria Cross under Rule 13 of the Royal Warrant.
* King's Royal Rifle Corps.
Additional information:. It is recorded in the Victoria Cross 1856-1920 published by J B HAYWARD and Son, that Colour-Sergeant Waller was serving with the 25th Bombay Light Infantry at the time of this action.

WALLER, Horace. (reg No. 1264).
Private. 10th Service Battalion. King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry.
London Gazetted on 8th June 1917.
VC Medal is in private hands.
Born on the 23rd September, 1897 at Batley Carr, Dewsbury, Yorkshire.
Killed in action on 10th April 1917 at Heninel, France.
Memorial on grave at Cojeul British Cemetery, France.
Digest of Citation reads:
Private Waller was with a bombing section at Heninel, France, on 10th April 1917, forming a block in the enemy line. A concerted attack by the Germans was made on this post and five of the garrison were killed. In spite of this Private Waller finally repulsed the enemy attack after he'd spent more than an hour throwing bombs continuously. Later, in the evening, the enemy counter-attacked once more, and all except Private Waller were made casualties, and although he was wounded later, he continued to throw bombs for a further half-hour, until he was killed.
Additional information:. Private Horace Waller was reported missing believed killed. He was paid tribute by his commanding officer, followed by a tribute by his old-school, Batley Grammar School, who were extremely proud of their ex-pupil. His parents received a letter from Captain L March, Commanding 'C' Company, explaining that he had recommended Horace for the highest of all honours, which had also been endorsed by the Colonel.


WALLER, William Francis Frederick. (reg No. 1265) .
Lieutenant. 25th Bombay Light Infantry.
London Gazetted on the 25th February 1858.
VC Medal's Custodian is in private ownership.
Born on 20th August 1840 at Dagoolie , India.
Died on 29th January 1885 at Bath, Somerset.
Memorial on grave at Locksbrook Cemetery, Bath, Somerset.
Digest of Citation reads:
On the 20th June 1858 at the storming of the fortress of Gwalior, India, Lieutenant Waller and Lieutenant Rose were the only Europeans present and along with an extremely small body of men who, as they attacked the fortress,climbed on to the roof of a house, shooting the enemy gunners who faced them. Carrying all before them, Lieutenant Waller and these few men, Lieutenant Rose had been killed by this time, captured the fort, killing every man inside it.
Additional information:. Colonel Waller entered the service in 1857 which was followed by extensive service in India. During this time he saw action at the siege and storming of Chandairee and Jhansi, was at the Battle of Betwa and took part in the capture of Jhansi. It was during the storming of the fortress at Gwalior that he won his Victoria Cross. On 4th February 1885, the report of Colonel Waller's death was recorded in the Times newspaper.

WALTERS, George. (reg No. 1266).
Sergeant. 49th Regiment. *
London Gazetted on 24th February 1857.
VC Medal's Custodian is the Royal Gloucestershire, Berkshire and Wiltshire Regimental Museum, Salisbury.
Born on 29th January 1831 at Newport Pagnell, Buckinghamshire.
Died on 3rd June 1872 at Marylebone, London.
Memorial on grave at Westminster City Cemetery, Finchley, London.
Digest of Citation reads:
Sergeant Walters, went to the rescue Brigadier General Adams CB., who had been surrounded by Russian troops, during the Battle of Inkerman, on the 5th November 1854. During the rescue, Sergeant Walters bayonetted one of the enemy.
* Royal Berkshire Regiment.
Additional information:. Sergeant WALTERS received his medal from Queen Victoria during the initial ceremony held on Hyde Park on 26th June 1857. In November 1910 his Victoria Cross was sold, along with six others, for £72. On leaving the service he joined the London Police Force, serving until his death, at the age of 41.



WANKLYN, Malcolm David (Reg No.1267)
Lieutenant Commander Royal Navy.
London Gazetted on 16th December 1941.
VC Medal not necessarily available to the public.
Born on 28th June 1911 at Calcutta, India.
Died on 14th April off North Africa at the Gulf of Tripoli.
Memorial on Portsmouth Naval Memorial
Citation reads
: On 24 May 1941 in the Mediterranean, south of Sicily, Lieutenant commander Wanklyn , commanding HM Submarine Upholder, torpedoed a troopship which was with a strongly protected convoy. The troopship sank and Upholder then endured a strong counter-attack in which 37 deoth charges were dropped in 20 minutes, before she got clear. By the end of 1941 Lieutenant-Commander Wanklyn had sunk nearly 140,000 tons of enemy shipping, including a destroyer and troop-ships, tankers , supply and store ships.
Additional information: He was also the holder of the Distinguished Service Order and two Bars. (More to add.)


WARBURTON-LEE, Bernard Armitage Warburton. (reg No. 731).
Captain. Royal Navy 2nd Destroyer Flotilla.
London Gazetted on 7th June 1940.
Born 13th September, 1895 at Redbrook, Maelor,Flintshire, Wales.
Killed in action at Ofot Fjiord, Narvik, Norway on 10th April 1940.
Memorials at Ballangen New Cemetery, Norway and on the Iscoed War Memorial, Flintshire, Wales.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 10th April 1940, Captain Warburton-Lee, of HMS Hardy, led 5 destroyers, through a blinding snowstorm, in a surprise attack on German destroyers and merchant ships. The action was successful but almost immediately they were engaged by another 5 German destroyers of superior gun-power. HMS Hardy's bridge was hit by a shell, mortally wounding Captain Warburton-Lee. His last signal was "Keep engaging the enemy." .
Additional information:. Captain Warburton-Lee was the first man to be Gazetted for the Victoria Cross in World War Two.

WARD, Charles. (reg No. 1268).
Private. 2nd Battalion. King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry.
London Gazetted on 28th September 1900.
VC Medal in private hands.
Born on 10th July 1877 at Hunslet, Leeds, Yorkshire.
Died on 30th December 1921 at Bridgend, Glamorgan, Wales.
Memorial on grave at St Mary's churchyard, Whitchurch, Cardiff, Wales.
Digest of Citation reads:
At Lindley, South Africa, on 26th June 1900, a Yorkshire Light Infantry picquet was enveloped on three sides by approximately 500 Boers, at close range. The two officers in charge were both wounded and all others, apart from six men, were either killed or wounded. Private Ward volunteered to carry a message asking for reinforcements, even though this deed was highly dangerous, and almost certain death. His offer was at first refused, but his insistence convinced his officers that it was worth a chance. The signal station was 150 yards to the rear but he managed to get across to it through heavy fire from both sides, without injury. Private Ward, retiring from a place of safety, made his way back, re-crossing the fire-swept ground, to inform his commanding officer that the message had been sent. On his return journey to the post he was severely wounded. The post would almost certainly have fallen into enemy hands, had it not been for Private Ward's gallant action.
Additional information:. Company Sergeant-Major Ward was educated at Primrose Hill School, Leeds. He enlisted in the Yorkshire Light Infantry, in the 1st Battalion on 29th April 1897, serving with it for two years until he joined the 2nd Battalion in the Cape Colony. He was severely wounded and because of this had only two clasps with the South African Medal, for Cape Colony and Free State. The citizens of Leeds, Yorkshire, presented him with a testimonial, £600 and a commemorative gold medal. He was the last recipient of the Victoria Cross to be decorated by Her Majesty Queen Victoria.


WARD, Henry. (reg No. 1269).
Private. 78th Regiment *
London Gazetted on 18th June 1858.
Born in 1826 at Harleston, Norfolk.
Died on 21st September, 1867 at Great Malvern, Worcestershire.
Memorials at the War Memorial, Harleston, Norfolk.
Digest of Citation reads:
At Lucknow, India, on the 25th and 26th September, 1857, Private Ward stayed with a dhooly in which an officer of the 10th Foot, Lieutenant H M Havelock and a Private Thomas Pilkington of the 78th had taken refuge. Private Ward remained at the side of the dhooly, in spite of a very heavy crossfire of Ordnance and musketry, and by his example inspired the bearers to carry their double load through the heavy fire. He encouraged them with the same calm and sturdiness as if they were parading. They got the wounded men to the safety of the Baillie Guard, thus saving the lives of both wounded men.

WARD, James Allen. (reg No. 1270)
Sergeant. Royal New Zealand Air Force. *
London Gazetted on 5th August 1941.
VC Medal not on public display.
Born on the 14th in June 1919 at Wanganui, New Zealand.
Killed in a burning Wellington, 15th September 1941 whilst over Hamburg, Germany.
Memorial on grave at Ohlsdorf Cemetery, Hamburg, Germany.
Digest of Citation reads:
Sergeant Ward was the co-pilot on a Wellington aircraft when fire broke out after a raid on Munster, Germany. The captain of the aircraft having told Sergeant Ward to try to put out the fire, he then crawled out through a narrow Astro-Hatch, attached a dinghy rope and managed, with great difficulty to scramble to the rear of the starboard engine which was alight, and then smothered the flames with great difficulty using an engine cover. On his way to the engine, being hampered by his parachute, he had torn hand and foot-holes in the wing. In spite of this, his return journey was even more dangerous than the outward one. With the help of the Navigator he finally made it into the aircraft. The pilot, Squadron Leader R.P. Widdowson eventually landed the aircraft safely at Newmarket without flaps or brakes before coming to rest in the boundary hedge.
* Won VC while serving with 75 Squadron, RAF.
Additional information:. Sergeant Ward's family had emigrated to New Zealand from Coventry, England. He was educated at Wanganui Technical College and at Victoria University College. He became a teacher at Castle Cliff School in his hometown, joining RNZAF in 1939. He was trained as a pilot and eventually sailed to Canada. He joined the 75 Squadron at Feltwell, Norfolk on 13th June 1941 and on his 22nd birthday, the following day, he was detailed as co-pilot of a Wellington bomber taking part in a raid on Dusseldorf. He flew most of his missions with Squadron Leader R.P.Widdowson, right up to the night of 7th July 1941 when he won the Victoria Cross.

WARD, Joseph. (reg No. 1271).
Sergeant. 8th Hussars. *
London Gazetted on 26th January 1859.
VC Medal in private hands.
Born in 1832 at Kinsale, County Cork, Ireland.
Died on the 23rd November 1872 at Longford, Ireland.
Memorial on grave at St John's Churchyard, Longford, Ireland.
Digest of Citation reads:
At Gwalior , India, on 17th June 1858, Sergeant Ward together with Farrier G HOLLIS and Private J. Pearson were in a gallant charge by a squadron of the Regiment, supported by a division of the Bombay Horse Artillery and the 95th Regiment. They succeeded in routing the enemy who were advancing against Brigadier Smith's position. They charged through the enemy camp into two batteries, capturing and bringing two enemy guns into their own camp while under heavy and converging fire from both the Fort and the town.
* King's Royal Irish Hussars.
Additional information:. All three men were elected by the Regiment under rule 13 of the Royal Warrant.


WARE, Sidney William. (reg No. 1272).
Corpora 1st Battalion. Seaforth Highlanders *.
London Gazetted on 26th September, 1916.
Born on 11th November 1892 at Whitchurch, Dorset.
Died, from his wounds, on 16th April 1916 at the Rawal Pindi Hospital. Persian Gulf.
Memorial on grave at Amara War Cemetery, Iraq.
Digest of Citation reads:
When orders were given to retire to a communication trench at Sanna-i-Yat, Mesopotamia, on 6th April 1916, Corporal Ware was one of the few men who had not been wounded. His cool gallantry had been conspicuous during the advance. He picked up and carried a wounded comrade for some 200 yards to cover. He then returned for more wounded and continued, going to-and-fro, for more than two hours, until he'd managed to bring in all of the wounded. After this time he was completely exhausted.
* Duke of Albany's Ross-shire Buffs

WARING, William Herbert. (reg No. 12 73).
Lance- Sergeant. 25th Battalion. Royal Welch Fusiliers.
London Gazetted on 31st January 1919.
VC Medal's Custodian is Welshpool Town Council, Montgomeryshire,* Wales.
Born on 13th October 1885 at Welshpool, Montgomeryshire,* Wales.
Died from wounds on 8th October 1918 at Le Havre, France.
Memorial on grave at St Marie Cemetery, Le Havre, France.
Digest of Citation reads:
At Ronssoy, France, on 18th September 1918, the advance of the nearby troops was being held up by enemy machine-guns. Lance-Sergeant Waring led the attack against them in spite of the devastating fire from both flanks and front. He single-handedly rushed a strong point, where he bayonetted four of the enemy and captured 20 others along with their weapons. Under extremely heavy shell and machine-gun fire, he reorganised his men, then leading them off, giving them inspiration, for a further 400 yards before he fell mortally wounded. His Leadership, courage and determination were conspicuous throughout the attack.
* Powys.
Additional information:. 355014, Lance Sergeant Waring also held the Military Medal (M M). He was the son of Richard and Annie Waring. After his education at the National School, Welshpool, he joined the Montgomeryshire Yeomanry in 1904. On the 4th August 1914 he was transferred, on mobilisation, to the 25th Service Battalion of the Royal Welch Fusiliers. In 1913 he won a silver watch for shooting. The following year his Troop was considered the best in the squadron and was awarded a Silver Cup. As a young man he was very keen on football, playing for many of his local teams. William Waring never married.

WARK, Blair Anderson. (reg.No.1274)
Major. 32nd Battalion. * Australian Imperial Force.
London Gazetted on 26th December 1918.
VC Medal's Custodian is the United Service Club, Brisbane, Australia.
Born on 27th July 1894 at Bathurst, New South Wales, Australia.
Died on 13th June 1941 at Puckapungel, Australia.
Memorials at Eastern Suburbs Crematorium, Sydney, New South Wales and on the Australian War Memorial at Canberra, Australia.
Digest of Citation reads:
During the period 29th September to the 1st October, 1918, during the operations against the Hindenburg Line at Bellicourt, and the following advance through Nauroy, Etricourt, Magny La Fosse and Joncourt, Major Wark exercised magnificent control showing great bravery and initiative. He led his men, during a critical period, forward against the enemy on 29th September 1918 and restored the situation. He moved fearlessly at the head of his men, often far in advance of them, cheering them on through Nauroy towards the next objective Etricourt. whilst leading his advance party of assault troops, he sighted a battery of 77mm guns that were pouring fire, causing heavy casualties on his companies at the rear. Selecting a few of his men, he rushed the batteries, capturing 10 of the crew and four guns. Moving rapidly forward, accompanied by only two NCOs, they surprised and captured 50 more Germans near Magny Le Fosse. Again, showing great leadership and outstanding gallantry on 1st October 1918, regardless of personal danger, he rushed forwards and silenced some machine guns that had been causing heavy casualties. He showed outstanding leadership and a great devotion to duty throughout these operations doing invaluable work.
* Southern Australian and Western Australian.
Additional information:. Lieutenant Colonel Wark was also made a Companion of the Distinguished Service Order (DSO). The Victoria Cross was awarded for the outstanding courage, leadership and deeds carried out over the period of 12 days.
Major Blair Anderson Wark married Miss Phyllis Marquiss-Munro of 16, Norfolk Mansions, Prince of Wales Road, London S W. The marriage took place at St George's Church, Worthing.

WARNEFORD, Reginald Alexander John. (reg No. 1275).
Flight Sub-Lieutenant. 1 Squadron, Royal Naval Air Service.
London Gazetted on 11th June 1915.
VC Medal's Custodian is the Fleet Air arm Museum, Yeovilton, Somerset.
Born on 15th October 1891 at Darjeeling, India.
Died on 17th June 1915 in a plane crash at Buc Aerodrome, Paris, along with his passenger, Mr Henry Beach Needham, an American writer, who was killed. Warneford died on the way to Versailles Hospital.
Memorial on grave at Brompton Cemetery, London and also at St Michael's Church, Highworth, Wiltshire.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 7th June 1915, Flight Sub-Lieutenant Warneford single-handedly attacked and completely destroyed a Zeppelin airship, LZ37, in the air. He had chased the Zeppelin from the Belgian coast near Ostend, 45 minutes later catching up with it close to Bruges. The airship, under the command of Oberleutnant von der Haegan, opened fire on his aircraft, causing him to take evasive action. For 20 minutes the German Machine-Gunners attempted to down his aircraft. After turning away to resume its course, the airship went on its way. Sub-Lieutenant Warnford managed to climb, reaching a height and 11,000 ft before diving to attack the airship. His only armament, 6 bombs weighing 20 lbs each. Flying above and along the airship's length he began to release his bombs. After a short time there was an explosion breaking the airship's back and setting it on fire. The explosion caused his aircraft to be thrown skywards and on to its back, stopping the engine. He was forced to land behind enemy lines, where after roughly half-an-hour he managed to repair and restart the engine. He took off again but was unable to find his way through the thick fog and mist before he was finally able to land on the beach at Cap Gris Nez. After obtaining fuel from a French unit he returned to his own camp at Furnes.
Additional information:. Flight Sub-Lieutenant Warneford was the son of Reginald and Alexandra ( née Campbell ) Warneford. He attended the Grammar School at Stratford upon-Avon, entering the Merchant Navy at the age of 13. In February 1915 he joined the RNAS and within four months had earned the Victoria Cross. He received a telegram from King George V saying, " I most heartily congratulate you upon your splendid achievement of yesterday, in which you, single-handed, destroyed an enemy's Zeppelin. I have much pleasure in conferring upon you the Victoria Cross for this gallant act. George, R I."
General Joffre recommended the Légion d'Honneur for Warneford which he received from the General in Paris on 17th June. After the ceremony, before leaving for his unit, he took off for a short flight taking Mr Henry Beach Needham, an American writer, for his first experience of flight. The frail Farman aircraft's wings buckled as it shot up 200 feet and the aircraft virtually fell apart. Both were ejected from the aircraft before falling to the ground. Needham was killed outright and Warneford died as he was being transported to Versailles Hospital.

WARNER, Edward. (reg No. 1276).
Private. 1st Battalion , Bedfordshire Regiment.
London Gazetted on 29th June, 1915.
V.C., Medal's Custodian is the Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Regimental Museum (Luton).
Born on 80th November, 1883 at St Albans, Hertfordshire.
Died on 2nd May 1915 at Ypres, Belgium. (Died on from gas poisoning).
Memorial at Menin Gate Memorial, Belgium.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 1st May, 1915 near Hill 60, Ypres, Belgium, when a trench had been vacated by our troops after a gas attack, Private Warner entered it alone in order to prevent the enemy taking possession. Reinforcements were sent to him but could not reach him owing to the gas. However he then went back and brought up more men, by which time he was completely exhausted, but the trench was held until the enemy attacks ceased. Private Warner died shortly afterwards from the effect of gas poisoning.

WASSALL, Samuel. (reg No. 1277).
Private. 80th Regiment. *
London Gazetted on 17th June 1879.
VC Medal's Custodian is the Staffordshire Regimental Museum, Whittington Barracks, Lichfield, Staffordshire. Born on 28th July 1856 at Aston, Warwickshire.
Died on 31st January 1927 at Barrow-in-Furness, Lancashire.
Memorials on grave at Barrow-in-Furness Cemetery, Lancs., and in the garrison church, Whittington Barracks, Lichfield, Staffordshire. (A New Headstone was erected on the grave in 1986).
Digest of Citation reads:
On 22nd January 1879, Private Samuel Wassall, without concern for his own life, which was in imminent danger, rescued Private Westwood, a comrade of the 80th Regiment. The British and Native encampment at Isandhlwana, came under attack from 20,000 of King Cetswayo's Zulus. Private Wassall was retreating towards the Buffalo River, when he saw Private Westwood struggling, apparently drowning, in the river. Leaving his horse on the Zulu side of the river, he rescued his comrade from the fast-flowing water. Remounting his horse, he dragged Private Westwood across the river to safety under a hail of bullets from the Zulus.
* South Staffordshire Regiment.

WATERS, Arnold Horace Santo. (reg No. 1278).
Major. 218th Field Company. Royal Engineers.
London Gazetted on 13th February 1919.
VC Medal's Custodian is the Royal Engineers Museum, Brompton Barracks, Chatham, Kent.
Born on 23rd September 1886 at Plymouth, Devon.
Died on 22nd January 1981 at Four Oaks, Sutton Coldfield, Warwickshire.
Memorial at Sutton Coldfield Crematorium, Royal Engineers Museum, Chatham, Kent.
Digest of Citation reads:
On the 4th November 1918, as his Field Company were building a bridge over the Oise-Sambre Canal, near Ors, France, from the outset they had come under heavy artillery and machine-gun fire at close range. The building party suffering severe casualties in addition to the bridge being damaged. On hearing that all his officers had been either killed or wounded, he went forward personally, to supervise, until the bridge's completion. During this time he worked on cork floats, all the time under extremely intense fire, from the enemy, at point-blank range. The success of this operation was entirely due to his bravery and the example he set, even though it seemed impossible that he could escape death under the enemy fire.
Additional information:. Major Sir Arnold Waters was also made a Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE); a Companion of the Distinguished Service Order (DSO) and he also held the Military Cross (MC).
Major Sir Arnold Waters was the son of the Reverend Richard and Abigail Waters. Dedicated in Plymouth at the Hoe Grammar School. As an engineer, working for Wilcock and Raikes, Consultant Engineers he had worked in the Rhymney Valley and Eastern Valleys of South Wales. On 30th January 1915 he joined the Royal Engineers as a Second Lieutenant, going off to serve in the European War (WW I). Here he was awarded the Military Cross (July 1917 ) and the Distinguished Service Order, which was London Gazetted on 3rd June 1918. He was also Mentioned in Despatches in June 1918 . The presentation of the Victoria Cross was decided after King George V, after seeing his record, that a Bar to the Distinguished Service Order would be inadequate for such a deed.


WATKINS, Tasker. (reg.No. 1279)
Lieutenant. 1st/5th Battalion. Welch Regiment.
London Gazetted on 2nd November 1944.
VC Medal is in recipients hands.
Born on the 2nd November, 1944 at Nelson, Glamorgan, Wales.
Digest of Citation reads:
Lieutenant Watkins' company, whilst advancing through booby-trapped cornfields, on their way to attack objectives near the railway at Barfour, Normandy, on 16th August 1944, came under devastating fire from machine-guns and an 88 mm gun, causing many casualties. Being the only officer left, he spearheaded a bayonet charge, with the only 30 men who were not casualties, against 50 of the enemy infantry, resulting in the virtual destruction of that body. Their wireless, having been destroyed, Lieutenant Watkins company had not received the orders to withdraw. It was now dusk and they found themselves, in depleted numbers, alone in the failing light. He decided to rejoin his battalion and on their way back, they were passing through the cornfields once again. They were challenged by the enemy at close range. Ordering his men to spread out, Lieutenant Watkins, armed with a Bren gun, single-handedly charged the post and, on silencing it, continued to lead the remaining men of his company back to Battalion HQ.
Further research required.
Additional information:. Major Watkins also holds The Knights Grand Cross, The Most Excellent Order of The British Empire. (GBE)
He was one of the eleven surving VCs who attended the VC dedication at Westminster Abbey on 14th May, 2003

WHIRLPOOL,* Frederick. (reg No. 1297).
Private. 3rd Bombay European Regiment (Prince of Wales Leinster Regiment).
London Gazetted on 21st October, 1859.
Custodian of VC is the Australian War Memorial, Canverra, Australia.
Born in 1829 in the City of Liverpool.
Died on 24th June 1899 at Windsor, New South Wales, Australia
Memorial on grave in the Presbyterian Cemetery, McGrath Hill, New South Wales, Australia.
Digest of Citation reads:.
On 3rd April 1858 in the attack on Jhansi, India, Private Whirlpool volunteered to return and carry to safety several killed and wounded. He did this twice under very heavy fire. On 2nd May he rushed to the rescue of a Lieutenant of his regiment who was dangerously wounded. Private Whirlpool himself received 17 severe wounds, one of which nearly severed his head from his body. The gallant example shown by this man was considered to have greatly contributed to the success of the day.
* alias JAMES, Frederick Humphrey.
Additional information:. He was born with the surname CONKER.




Private 2nd Battalion 24th Regiment (later South Wales Borderers)
VC London Gazetted on 2nd May 1879
Born on 24th May 1857 at Abergavenny, Monmouthshire.
Died on 25th November 1932 at Cwmbran, Monmouthshire.
Memorials at Llanfihangel Churchyard, Llantarnam, Mon.; John Fielding Home, Llantarnam.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 22/23 January 1879 at Rorke's Drift, Natal, South Africa, Private Williams and two other men held a distant room of the hospital for more than an hour until they had no ammunition left, when the Zulus burst in and killed one of the men and two patients. Meanwhile Private Williams had succeeded in knockig a hole in the partition and took two remaining patients through into the next ward. He was there joined by another man (See A.H.Hook. Reg No.592) and working together,(one holding the enemy at bayonet point while the other broke through three more partitions) they were able to bring eight patients into the inner line of defence
Additional information: Having been discharged from the Army Reserve on the 22nd May 1893, Williams then joined and served in the 3rd Volunteer Battalion of The South Wales Borderers for the duration of the war. He served the at Depot of the Regiment at Brecon, from 1914-20 (Aged 63?)

WILSON, Arthur Knyvet (Reg. No.1319)
Captain. Royal Navy.*
.VC Medal's Custodian is the The Royal Naval Museum, HM Naval Base (PP 66), Portsmouth. PO1 3NH.
Memorial on grave at St Peter and St Paul's Church At Swaffham, Norfolk.
*Naval Brigade


WILSON, Eric Charles Twelves. (reg. No. 1320)
Attended VC dedication at Westminster Abbey on 14th May 2003

WOOD, Harry Blanshard. (reg No 1322).
Corporal. 2nd. Battalion. Scots Guards.
London Gazetted on 14th December 1918.
VC Medal's Custodian is the York Castle Museum, York.
Born on 21st June 1881 at Newton-on-Derwent, near York. *
Died on 15th August 1924 at Bristol.
Memorial on grave at Amos Vale Cemetery, Bristol.
Digest of Citation reads:
During operations at the village of St Python, France, on 13th October 1918, the advance was severely hampered by enemy machine guns, the streets being raked by fire. Corporal Wood's platoon sergeant was killed, the onus being placed on Corporal Wood to become its leader. The platoon's task was to secure the crossing of the River Selle after clearing up the western side of the village. It was imperative that the ruined bridge was captured, although sniper's, strategically placed, in front commanded the situation. Corporal Wood carried a large brick out into the open space and, lying down behind it, put up a continuous fire against the snipers. He ordered his platoon to work their way across under his covering fire. Under heavy and accurate fire from the enemy, he managed to keep firing until the whole of his platoon had reached the objective. Throughout the day his leadership was exemplary, with great disregard for his personal safety. Later, he repelled repeated enemy counter-attacks on his position. His gallantry contributed greatly to the success of the day's operations.
Additional information:. * His place of birth is disputed in some circles. One saying that he was born at Newton-on- Derwent, Yorkshire. Others saying that he was born at Pocklington, Yorkshire. I Have no way at the moment on knowing if this is one and the same place. (I think not).
He was the son of Mr John and Maria (née Dey) Wood. He was Educated at Strensall, near York. Joined the Scots Guards on the 3rd February 1903. As No. 4796, Private H B Wood in the 2nd Battalion Scots Guards, where in October 1914, he was sent to the Europe War. As well as the Victoria Cross, he held the Military Medal and the 1914 Star. It was as No. 16444, Lance Sergeant Wood that he won his VC.


WOOD. Wilfred (Reg No.1325)
Private 10th Battalion The Northumberland Fusiliers.
London Gazetted on 27th November 1918.
Born on: 2nd February 1897 at Stockport, Cheshire.
Died on: 3rd January 1982 at Hazel Grove, Nr. Stockport, Cheshire.
Memorials at: Regimental Museum of The Northumberland Fusiliers, Alnwick Castle, Northumberland in the form of a Name Plate from a London Midland and Scottish Railway engine.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 28 October 1918 near Casa Vana, Italy, when the advance was being held up by hostile machine-guns and snipers, Private Wood on his own initiative worked forward with his Lewis gun, enfiladed the enemy machine-gun nest and caused 140 men to surrender. Later when a hidden machine-gun opened fire at point- blank range, Private Wood charged the gun, firing his Lewis gun from the hip at the same time. He killed the machine-gun crew and, without further orders, pushed on and enfiladed a ditch from which three officers and 160 men subsequently surrendered.


Private (later Corporal) 2nd Battalion Irish Guards.
London Gazetted on 17th October 1917
VC Medal's Custodian is the Guards Regimental HQ
Born on 19th March 1888 at Wigan, Lancashire.
Died on 27th March 1918 at Bullecourt, France.
Memorial on grave at Douchy-les-Ayette British Cemetery. France.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 12/13 September 1917 at Broenbeek, Belgium, when an advanced post had held out for 96 hours and was finally forced to retire, the lance-sergeant (See MOYNEY, John Reg. No.895) in charge of the party and Private Woodcock covered the retirement. After crossing the stream themselves, Private Woodcock heard cries for help behind him--he returned and waded into the stream amid a shower of bombs and rescued another member of the party whom he carried across open ground in daylight towards our front line regardless of machine-gun fire.
Additional information:
Private Woodcock was Born on in Wigan Lancs on the 19th of March 1888. He was educated at St. Patrick's Roman Catholic School there. On the 26th May 1915 he joined the Irish Guards and served in the European War (WW1) in France. Where he won the Victoria Cross. London Gazetted 17th October 1917.
He was accorded a public welcome by the Mayor and towns-people of Wigan. He was presented with a sum of over £200 from public subscription as well as an illuminated address. He was married and had three children. On his return to the Front line Private Thomas Woodcock was killed in action on the 27th of March 1917.

WOODEN, Charles. (Reg.No. 1328)
Sergeant-Major (later Lieutenant and Quartermaster) 17th Lancers (Duke of Cambridge's Own.)
London Gazetted on 26th October 1858.
Born on: 24th March 1827 at ?, Germany.
Died on: 24th April 1876 at Dover, Kent. (Believed to have shot himself.)
Memorial at: St. James's Cemetery, Dover.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 26th October 1854, in the Crimea, at Balaclava , Sergeant-Major Wooden went out with a surgeon* to the assistance of an officer who was lying seriously wounded in an exposed position, after the retreat of The Light Cavalry. He helped dress the officer's wounds under heavy fire from the enemy.
* Surgeon James MOUAT( Reg. No 893.)
Additional Information: He had a ginger beard and was known in the 17th Lancers as, "tish me--the devil."
The nick-name came about because of a broken English reply he gave when challenged by a sentry.who didn't recognise him.
He rode in the charge of The Light Brigade. It is believed that he shot himself on the 24th of April 1876 at the age of 49, one month after his birthday.

WOODROFFE, Sydney Clayton. (Reg. No.1329)
2nd Lieutenant 8th Battalion The Rifle Brigade (The Prince Consort's Own)
London Gazetted on 6th September 1915.
Born on: 17th December 1895 at Lewes, Sussex.
Died on: 30th July 1915 at Hooge, Belgium.
Memorials at: Menin Gate, Belgium, and The Rifle Brigade Memorial at Winchester Cathedral.
On 30 July 1915 at Hooge, Belgium, when the enemy had broken through the centre of our front trenches, Second Lieutenant Woodroffe's position was heavily attacked with bombs from the flank and subsequently from the rear, but he managed to defend his post until all his bombs were exhausted. He then skilfully withdrew his remaining crew and immediately led them forward in a counter-attack under intense rifle and machine-gun fire, and was killed whilst in the act of cutting the wire obstacles in the open.
Additional information: S.C.WOODROFFE was the fourth and youngest son of Henry Long and Clara Woodroffe, of Woodmoor, Branksome Avenue, Bournemouth. Clara was the daughter of the late Henry Clayton. Whilst at Marlborough College, he took part in many sports. He won the Curzon Wyllie Medal and was included in the football fifteen between 1912 and 1914, the hockey eleven and the cricket twenty-two. He was Captain of the O.T.C. as well as being the Senior Prefect. He gained a classical scholarship at Pembroke College, Cambridge.
He joined the 8th Battalion of The Rifle Brigade on 23rd of December 1914 and was sent to the European War (WW1) on 25th of May 1915. At Hooge, in Flanders, he was killed in action on the 30th of July 1915.The Victoria Cross was awarded posthumously.
His two elder brothers were both killed in action. Lieutenant K.H.C.Woodroffe on the 9th May 1915 serving with the 6th Battn. of the Rifle Brigade. He was also a sporting man. The other brother, Captain Leslie Woodroffe MC was severelty wounded at Hooge, in the same battle that Sydney Woodroffe was killed in July 1915. He was able to return to his regiment, the 8th Battn. Rifle Brigade on the 1st of June 1916. He was wounded on the same day. He Died on of his wounds three days later.

WRIGHT, Peter Harold. (reg No. 1333).
Company Sergeant-Major. 3rd Battalion Coldstream Guards.
London Gazetted on 7th September 1944.
Born on 10th August 1916 at Mettingham, Bungay, Suffolk.
Died on 5th April 1990 at Ipswich, Suffolk.
Memorial on grave at All Saints Churchyard, Ashbocking, Suffolk and Helmingham Parish Church, Suffolk.
Digest of Citation reads:.
In Italy on 20th September 1943, during an assault on a steep wooded hill near Salerno, Italy, the right handed company was stopped by heavy mortar and Spandau fire, causing all the officers to become casualties. Company Sergeant-Major Wright, after seeing that there were no officers left, took charge and crawled forward by himself to examine the situation. Three Spandaus were blocking their advance. Placing a section where it could give covering fire, he single-handedly attacked each post in turn, and using hand-grenades and bayonet silenced them.
On leading his company to the crest he realised that enemy fire made this position indefensible, so he led them a short distance down the hill and approached the objective from a different direction. In spite of the very heavy fire, CSM Wright, using the remainder of his company, deployed them to consolidate the position. They successfully beat off a counter-attack by the enemy and CSM Wright, in spite of heavy shell and machine-gun fire, around Company H Q., and slopes, he fetched and distributed ammunition to the company.
Additional information:. In the London Gazette on 27th January 1944, CSM Wright was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal (DCM), however, this Decoration was cancelled and, on the instruction of King George VI, it was upgraded to the Victoria Cross on 7th September 1944.