UMRAO SINGH (Reg. No.1244)
Havildar Royal Indian Artillery.
London Gazetted on 31st May 1945.
Born on 11th July 1920 at Palra Village, Jrajur, Rhotak, Punjab, India.
Attended VC Dedication at Westminster Abbey on 14th May 2003.(Aged 82)
Digest of Citation reads:
In the Kaladan valley, Burma on the the 15/16th December 1944, Havildar Umrao Singh was in command of a gun in an advanced position of his battery. It came under very heavy fire from Japanese 75 mm guns and mortars for one-and-a-half hours before two companies of the Japanese attacked the position in the first of four assaults. He so inspired his comrades by personal example and his giving of encouragement that the attack was beaten off. Although he'd been wounded twice by grenades, Umrao Singh managed to beat off the four attacks by his heroic action and courage. By the final attack, the other gun had been overrun and all the ammunition exhausted. Seizing the gun barrel, he closed with the enemy and fought them fearlessly hand-to-hand. In an impetuous attempt to save the gun, he was observed striking down three Japanese soldiers before he finally succumbed and was knocked out. On the counter-attack, six hours later, Umrao Singh was found, at the side of his gun, so severely wounded that he was hardly recognisable. Around him lay 10 dead Japanese soldiers. His outstanding bravery, devotion to duty and his setting of a wonderful example was an inspiration to all. His gun was still in working order and saw further action that day.

UNWIN, Edward. (reg No. 1245).
Commander. Royal Navy.
London Gazetted on 16th August 1915.
VC Medal's Custodian is unknown.
Born on 17th March 1864 at Forest Lodge, Hythe, Hampshire.
Died on 10th April 1950 at Hindhead, Surrey.
Memorial on grave at St Luke's Churchyard, Grayshott, Surrey. (Headstone raised in 1995).
Digest of Citation reads:
At Gallipoli on 25th April 1915 during the landing on V Beach at Cape Helles, Commander Unwin along with two Midshipmen, Drewry and Malleson, Able Seaman Williams and Seaman Samson, left HMS River Clyde under devastating fire from the enemy to get the lighters, that were forming a bridge to the shore, in position after they had come adrift. Suffering from the effects of cold through immersion in the water he worked endlessly until he was forced to return to the ship for treatment. Against the orders of the medical officer he again returned to his work until its completion. He received medical attention for three wounds and again left the ship in a lifeboat in order to rescue three men, who were wounded, in the shallow water. He eventually was forced to stop through physical exhaustion.
Additional information:. Captain Unwin was made a Companion of the Order of the Bath (CB) and a Companion of the Order of St Michael and St George (CMG). He also held the Order of the Nile . The four men who assisted in the above deed were also awarded the Victoria Cross.
He was the son of Edward Wilberforce and Henrietta Jane (nee Carmac) Unwin. As a sailor he served in Donald Currie's sailing ships, and worked for the P and O line. Before joining the Royal Navy as a Lieutenant in 1895 he served in the Egyptian Navy. He retired from the Royal Navy as a Commander. He was recalled on 29th July, 1914 as Fleet Coaling Officer serving aboard HMS Iron Duke under Admiral Jellicoe. He was given the acting rank of Captain of HMS River Clyde during the landing.


UPHAM, Charles Hazlitt. (Reg. No.1246)
Second Lieutenant (later Captain) 20th Battalion 2nd New Zealand Expeditionary Force. (Canterbury Regt.)
London Gazetted on 14th October 1941 and 26th September 1945 (BAR)
Born on 21st September 1908 at Christchurch N.Z.
Died on 21st November 1994 at Christchurch N.Z.
Memorials at HQ Dunedin RSA and in the Quadrangle of Christ's College, Christchurch, N.Z.
Digest of Citation reads:
On the island of Crete, between 22nd and 30th May 1941 Second Lieutenant Upham displayed outstanding leadership and courage in the very close quarter fighting that ensued. After being blown up by one mortar shell he was severely wounded by a second. He was also wounded in the foot. In spite of these wounds and a debilitating attack of dysentery he refused to go off to recieve medical attention. . On 22nd May, when his company was forced to retire, he carried a severely wounded man back to safety. On 30th May he beat off an attack at Sphakia, 22 Germans becoming casualties to his devastating fire from short-range.

Citation for BAR reads:
At El Ruweisat Ridge in the Western Desert, on 14/15 July 1942, Captain Upham, in spite of having been wounded twice, insisted on remaining with his company . Just before dawn he led them in a determined attack, and, after fierce fighting, captured the objective. He personally destroyed a German tank, along with various guns and vehicles, by using hand grenades with deadly effect. His arm having been broken by a machine-gun bullet did not prevent him from. continuing to dominate the situation and when eventually, weak from loss of blood, he had to go and have his wounds attended. After treatment he returned immediately to his company, remaining with them until he was again so severely wounded that he was unable to carry on.


UPTON, James. (reg No. 1247).
Corporal. 1st Battalion. Sherwood Foresters. (Notts. and Derbys. Regiment.
London Gazetted on 29th June 1915.
VC Medal's Custodian is the Sherwood Forester's Museum, Nottingham Castle, Nottingham.
Born on the 3rd May, 1888 at Lincoln.
Died on 10th August 1949 at Uxbridge, Middlesex.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 9th May 1915 at Rouge Bancs, France, Corporal Upton displayed outstanding courage for the whole of the day by rescuing the wounded while being exposed to heavy rifle and artillery fire. Without regard for his own safety he went close to the enemy Parapet to retrieve the casualties. A man, being carried by Corporal Upton, was killed by a shell. When he wasn't actually engaged in carrying in the wounded, he was dressing and bandaging the seriously wounded in front of our Parapet.