TAIT, James Edward. (reg No. 12 02).
Lieutenant. 78th Battalion. Manitoba Regiment. * Canadian Expeditionary Force.
London Gazetted on 27th September 1918.
VC Medal's Custodian is the Glenbow Museum, Calgary, Canada.
Born 27th May 1886 at Greenbrae, Dumfries, Scotland.
Killed in action on 11th August 1918 near Amiens, France.
Memorial on grave at Fouquescourt British Cemetery, France.
Digest citation reads:
Lieutenant Tait rallied his company after the advance had been held up by intense machine-gun fire during the period 8th/11th August 1918, at Amiens, France. With considerable skill and flair, he led his company forward under a hail of bullets from the Machine-guns. One well concealed machine gun continued to harass and cause considerable casualties. Lieutenant Tait, acquired a rifle and bayonet, and dashing forward alone, killed the enemy machine-gunner. His men, inspired by his courage and example, rushed the position and captured 12 machine guns and 20 prisoners. This action made it possible for the battalion to advance. When the enemy counter-attacked the Allied lines under cover of an intense Artillery bombardment, Lieutenant Tait again gave an exhibition of outstanding courage and leadership. Although he was mortally wounded from shellfire, he continued, until his death, to direct and aid the men of his company.
* Winnipeg Grenadiers.
Additional information:. Lieutenant Tait had also been awarded the Military Cross (MC).
Lieutenant Tait had written an article called 'The Vimy Ridge'*, in which he described their actions before the battle. He told how they'd spent the day preparing and waiting all night as, what he called, "crumps" whined overhead hoping to find the gun batteries. He told of the Y Z night as they waited for dawn and what they thought would be the greatest battle of all-time, against an enemy they'd never seen, and yet, that mysterious enemy had taken the lives of their friends and comrades on a daily basis. It was their job to take the Ridge that he described as, 'that great, black, sinister-looking mass from which the grass, if it had ever grown there, had long since disappeared, battered and riven by shellfire until it looked as though every yard of it had come under the plough." He went on to call Vimy Ridge a sentinel of the Powers of Darkness, a tragic memory and a Sepulchre of thousands of the bravest of France, England and their Allies that was to be taken (by the Canadians) on the Morrow. He continued saying, "Surely it was no sign of weakness to think of home at this time."
This article appeared in "Canada," on 28th July 1917. It described in detail how they prepared and how he felt that night. (A part of this article appears in the Victoria Cross 1856-1920, published by J. B. Hayward and Son)

TANDEY, Henry. (reg No. 1203).
Private. 5th Battalion. Duke of Wellington's Regiment *.
London Gazetted on 14th December, 1918.
VC Medal's Custodian is the Duke of Wellington's Regiment, Green Howards Museum, Richmond, Yorkshire.
Born on 30th August 1891 in Livery Street, Leamington Spa, Warwickshire.
Died on 20th December, 1977 at 7, Loudon Avenue, Coventry, Warwickshire at the age of 86.
After the service at the Church of Christ the King, he was cremated at Canley Crematorium, Coventry. His ashes were buried at Masnieres British Cemetery, Marcoing, France.
Digest of Citation reads:
Private Tandey's platoon was held up by machine-gun fire during the advance to capture the village and crossings at Marcoing, France, on 28th September 1918. He immediately crawled forward and located the gun. With a Lewis gun team he silenced the gun, knocking it out. On arrival at the crossings, Private Tandey, under a hail bullets, managed to restore a plank bridge which allowed the first crossing to be made at this vital spot. Later during an attack in the evening, Private Tandey and eight of his comrades were surrounded by an overwhelming force of Germans. The position, although it appeared hopeless, was changed when Private Tandey led a bayonet charge through them. They fought so fiercely that 37 Germans were driven into the hands of, and taken prisoner by, Tandey's own company. He refused to leave the scene until the fight was over, even though he was twice wounded.
* West Riding.
Additional information:. Army No. 9545 Sergeant Henry 'Napper' Tandey was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal (DCM) for bravery at Vaulx Vraucourt on the 28th August 1918 and the Military Medal (MM), for heroism at Havrincourt on 12th September 1918.
He was educated at St Peter's School, Leamington. In August 1910 he joined the Green Howards Regiment, serving with them in South Africa and on the island of Guernsey. He fought in the European War starting in the first Battle of Ypres in October 1914. He was wounded in 1916 on the Somme, being transferred to the 3rd Battalion on his recovery and then to the 9th Battalion serving in Flanders. He was wounded in the Third Battleof Ypres (Passchendaele) in 1917. Again, on his recovery, he was sent to the 3rd Battalion, prior to joining the 12 Battalion in France in March 1918.
His own unit was disbanded in July 1918 and he was attached to the 5th Battalion, Duke of Wellington's Regiment.
After being discharged from the Green Howards he rejoined the army in the 3rd Battalion of the Duke of Wellington's Regiment, finally being discharged on 5th January 1926.
At an Investiture on the 17th December, 1919, at Buckingham Palace, Sergeant Tandey was presented with the Victoria Cross by His Majesty King George V.
He married Edie Warwick, and on her death he then married a second time to Annie Kietzmann. On the 26th November, 1980, she sold his medals to a private collector for, what was then, a record price of £27,000. On Armistice Day 1997, his medals were presented, at a special ceremony in the Tower of London, to the Regiment.
During the Second World War he served as a Recruiting Sergeant.

TAYLOR, John. (reg No. 1204).
Captain of the Forecastle Royal Navy. *
London Gazetted on 24th February, 1857.
VC Medal's Custodian is the Sheesh Mahal Museum, Patalia, India.
Born in 1822 * at Bristol (* January or February).
Died on 25th February 1857 at Woolwich, London. (The day following the Gazetting of his VC).
Buried in Woolwich Old Cemetery, Plumstead. New headstone erected in 1996.
Digest of Citation reads:
Immediately after the assault on 18th June 1855 at Sebastopol in the Crimea, a wounded soldier was seen sitting up, approximately 70 yards away, amidst heavy gunfire, and calling for help. He had been wounded in both legs. Lieutenant RABY, Boatswain CURTIS and Captain of the Forecast Taylor, climbing over the breastwork of the advanced Sap, they left the safety of their Battery Works and ran forward towards the salient angle of the Redan, under extremely heavy fire from the enemy, and succeeded in carrying back the wounded man to safety.
* Naval Brigade.
Additional information:. John Taylor also held the French Légion d'Honneur. According into the Victoria Cross 1856-1920, John Taylor died on the same day his VC was Gazetted.

TEESDALE, Christopher Charles. (reg No. 1205).
Lieutenant. Royal Regiment of Artillery.
London Gazetted on 25th September 1857.
VC Medal's Custodian is unknown.
Born on 1st June 1833 at Grangetown, Cape of Good Hope, South Africa.
Died on 1st December 1893 at Bognor, Sussex.
Memorial on grave at St Mary Magdalene Churchyard, Bersted, Bognor, Sussex.
Digest of Citation reads:
Whilst acting as Aide-de-Camp to Major-General Sir William Fenwick Williams Bart., KCB., at Kars, in the Crimea on 29th September 1855, Lieutenant Teesdale volunteered to take command of the force that was engaged in the defence of the foremost part of works , the key point of the position, against a Russian attack. Throwing himself into the thick of the enemy, which had penetrated the Redoubt, he encouraged the garrison to make an attack that was so vigorous that the Russians were driven off. During the height of the action, Lieutenant Teesdale, by his example, encouraged the Turkish Artillerymen to return to their positions, from where they been driven by Russian fire. Having led the final charge, which was victorious, he saved a number of Russian wounded from being savagely attacked by the irate Turks, not without great risk to his own safety. This deed, which was witnessed by, and earned Lieutenant Teesdale the gratitude of, the Russian Staff.
Additional information:. Major General Sir Christopher Teesdale was created a Knight Commander of the Order of Sir Michael and St George (KCMG) in 1887. He was also a Companion of the Order of the Bath (CB) . He served as ADC to Her Majesty Queen Victoria for 10 years and later as Master of Ceremonies to Her Majesty. He was Equerry to Edward, Prince of Wales. During a visit to Germany in 1893 he suffered an attack, causing slight paralysis. On 30th November, he suffered another paralysis attack and died the following day, 1st December 1893, at his home, The Ark, South Bersted, Bognor, Sussex.
Sir Christopher Teesdale never married.



TEMPLE, William. (reg No. 1206).
Assistant Surgeon. Royal Regiment of Artillery.
London Gazetted on the 22nd September, 1864.
VC Medal's Custodian is unknown.
Born on the 7th November 1833 at Monaghan, County Monoghan, Ireland .
Died o 13th February, 1919 at Tunbridge Wells, Kent.
Memorial on grave at Highland Rd., Cemetery, Portsmouth, Hampshire.
digest of Citation reads:
During an assault on the enemy's position at Rangiriri, New Zealand, on 20th November 1863, Assistant Surgeon Temple, along with Lieutenant Pickard, showed gallant conduct in exposing their lives to imminent danger, in order to render assistance to the wounded, and especially to Captain Mercer, who later died, of the Royal Artillery. At a point in the crossing of the entrance to the Maori Keep, where the enemy were concentrating their fire. As Assistant Surgeon Temple attended to the wounded, Lieutenant Pickard, crossed and recrossed the parapet to obtain water for the wounded, when none of the other men could be prevailed upon to perform the service. The coolness displayed by these officers, exposed all the time to heavy cross-fire was exemplary.
Additional information:.
He was the son of the late William Temple M D and his wife Anne of Monaghan, Ireland. He had a private education at the Reverend John Bleckley's School, Monaghan going on to Trinity College, Dublin. He joined the army on the 1st November 1858, serving between 1860-61 in the Taranaki, New Zealand, campaign. Whilst in New Zealand, he married Anne Theodosia Mould, the fourth daughter of Major-General Mould CB of the Royal Engineers. They had nine children, William Arthur; Reginald Cecil; Bertram Henry; Frank Valiant; Annie Georgina; Elizabeth Alice; Mabel Eva; Ethel Kate and Eleanor.
Mrs Anne Theodosia Temple died in 1914.
All the male children had Military Careers. Captain William Temple, Gloucestershire Regiment died of wounds on 22nd October 1914.
Reginald Temple was a Lieutenant-Colonel in the Royal Marine Artillery. Bertram Temple was a Brevet Lieutenant-Colonel and his brother Frank Temple was a Brigadier-General, both in the Royal Marine Light Infantry.
Lieutenant Pickard reg No. 987), was also awarded the Victoria Cross.

THACKERAY, Edward Talbot. (reg No. 1207).
Second Lieutenant. Bengal Engineers.
London Gazetted on 29th April 1862.
VC Medal's Custodian is unknown.
Born on 19th October 1836 at Broxbourne, Hertfordshire.
Died on 3rd September 1927 at Garassio, Italy.
Memorial on grave at the English Cemetery, Bordighera, Italy.
Digest of Citation reads:
For cool intrepidity and characteristic daring shown in extinguishing a fire, in the Delhi Magazine Enclosure, on 16th September 1857 at Delhi, India. He was at imminent risk of his own life from a possible explosion in the shed containing combustible stores, where the fire had originated.
Additional information:. Colonel Sir Edward Thackeray was made a Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath (KCB). He was the son of the Reverend Francis St. John and Mary Anne Thackeray of Broxbourne, Hertfordshire. Educated at Marlborough College and the Honourable East India Company's Military College he joined the Royal Engineers on 9th December 1854.
He served throughout the Indian mutiny, being mentioned in despatches by General Sir Archdale Wilson, Commander of the Delhi Field Force. He saw service in the Afghan war 1879- 80 .
In 1862, he married Amy Mary Anne Crowe and they had two daughters, Amy Margaret Ritchie and Anne Wynne Thackeray. his wife died in 1865, and in that year he was promoted to Captain. He married for a second time on the 2nd December 1869 to Elizabeth Pleydell having four sons. They are E. F. Thackeray, born 2nd November, 1870 (Lieutenant Colonel, CMG., DSO. C de G.)).---- Richmond Clive Thackeray born 19th September, 1873.---- Charles Bouverie Thackeray born 20 December 1875. (Lieutenant Colonel, DSO., RFA.).--- H. St. J., P. Thackeray, born 6th October 1879.
Further research required


Rifleman 5th Royal Gurkha Rifles Indian Army.
London Gazetted on 22nd February 1945.
Born on 2nd October 1924 at Singla, (village) in the No 2 Thehsil in West Nepal.
Died on 11th November 1944 at Monte San Bartolo in Italy.
Memorial on grave at Rimini Gurkha War Cemetery, Italy.
Citation reads;
On 10th November 1944 at Monte San Bartolo, Italy, Rifleman Thaman Gurung was acting as a scout to a fighting patrol. It was undoubtedly due to his superb gallantry that his platoon was able to withdraw from an extremely difficult position without many more casualties than were in fact incurred and that some very valuable information was obtained which resulted in the capture of the feature three days later. The rifleman's bravery cost him his life.

THOMAS, Jacob. (reg No. 1209).
Bombardier. Bengal Artillery.
London Gazetted on the 24th December, 1858.
VC Medal's Custodian is the Royal Artillery Museum, Woolwich.
Born in 1833 at Llanwinio, Carmarthen, Wales.
Died on 3rd March 1911 at Darjeeling, India.
Buried in an unmarked grave at Bandel Churchyard, Hooghly, Darjeeling, India.
Digest of Citation reads:
At Lucknow, India, on the 27th September, 1857, when the party, to which Bombardier Thomas was attached, was returning to the Residency, after a sortie, the Bombardier, under extremely considerable difficulty, brought in, on his back, a wounded soldier of the Madras Fusiliers, thus saving him from falling into the hands of the rebels.

THOMAS, John. (reg No. 1210).
Lance-Corporal. 2nd/5th Battalion. North Staffordshire Regiment.
London Gazetted on the 13th February, 1918.
VC Medal's Custodian is unknown.
Born on 10th May 1886 at Openshaw, Manchester.
Died on the 28th February, 1954 at Stockport, Cheshire.
Memorial on grave at Stockport Borough Cemetery, Cheshire and at the Garrison Church, Whittington Barracks, Lichfield, Staffordshire.
Digest of Citation reads:
On seeing that the enemy were making preparations for a counter-attack on 30th November 1917 at Fontaine, France, Lance-Corporal Thomas, along with a comrade, on his own initiative, decided to reconnoitre from a closer position. The two men, in broad daylight and in full view the enemy, under extremely heavy machine-gun fire, made their way forward. His comrade became a casualty within a few yards of the trench, Lance-Corporal Thomas, undeterred, made his way alone. Whilst making his way around a small copse, in order to push on to a building used by the enemy as a night post, he encountered and shot three snipers. From this position he could see where and when the enemy troops were assembling. He stayed for one hour in this position, during which time he sniped at the enemy to great effect. He returned to his own lines, after three hours, with intelligence of great value that enables definite plans to be made and the artillery fire could be brought on to where the enemy was most concentrated, allowing it to break up the attack when it began.
Additional information:. Sergeant Thomas was the son of Edward and Elizabeth Thomas, a boot and shoe maker.
On 11th June 1919, he married Amelia Wood at St Matthew's Church, Douglas, Isle of Man .
He worked extremely hard for a living, suffering from the effects of shell concussion he received at the time he was blown up at Bullecourt, in March 1918. He, at that time, received a pension for partial disablement of nine shilling and four pence a week. ( Less than 50p today) .

THOMPSON, Alexander. (reg No 1211).
Lance-Corporal. 42nd Regiment. *
London Gazetted on 27th May 1859.
VC Medal's Custodian is the Black Watch Regimental Museum, Perth, Scotland.
Born in 1824 at Edinburgh.
Died on 29th March 1880 at Perth, Scotland.
Memorial on grave at Wellhill Cemetery, Perth, Scotland.
Digest of Citation reads:
During the attack on Fort Ruyha, India, on 15th April 1858, Lance-Corporal Thomson, along with four men, helped Captain Cafe to bring in the body of Lieutenant Willoughby of the 4th Punjab Rifles, from the top of the glacis, all the time being in an exposed situation and under extremely heavy fire.
Additional information:. Private Spence, who was one of the men in the party, was mortally wounded and died on the 17th April, 1858. His Victoria Cross was one of several awarded posthumously on 15th January 1907. Private Cook who also aided in the recovery of the Lieutenant also won the Victoria Cross at Maylah Ghautt, India, 15th January 1859
* Black Watch.


THOMPSON George (Reg No.1212).
Flight Sergeant 9 Squadron Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve..
London Gazetted on 20th February 1945
VC Medal's Custodian is the National War Museum of Scotland, Edinburgh Castle..
Born on 23rd October 1920 at Trinity Gask, Perthshire, Scotland.
Died on 23rd January 1945 in Belgium. (Died on of wounds).
Memorial on grave at Brussels Town Cemetery, Evere-les-Bruxelles, Belgium.
Citation reads.
On 1 January 1945 in an attack on the Dortmund-Ems Canal, a Lancaster bomber, after releasing its bombs, was hit by two shells and raging fire broke out. Flight Sergeant Thompson, wireless operator, seeing that both turrets were ablaze, went at once to help the two gunners to a place of relative safety, extinguishing their burning clothing with his bare hands. Then, despite his shocking state of burns and charred clothing, he went through the burning fuselage to report to the pilot. The crippled aircraft finally crash-landed, one of the gunners survived, the other Died on. Flight Sergt Thompson Died on of his injuries three weeks later.

THOMPSON, James. ( reg No. 1213).
Private. 1st Battalion 60th Rifles (King's Royal Rifle Corps).
London Gazetted on 20th January, 1860.
Vc Medal's Custodian is the Royal Green Jackets' Museum, Winchester.
Born on in 1830 (actual date not known) at Yoxall, Burton, Staffordshire.
Died on 5th December, 1891 at Walsall, Staffordshire.
Memorial at grave in Old Cemetery, Walsall.
Digest of Citation reads:
At Lucknow, India, on 9th July, 1857, Private Thompson saved the life of his Officer, Captain Wilton, by dashing forward to his relief when the Captain was surrounded by a party of Ghazees, who rushed at him suddenly, from a serai. The Private Thompson killed two of the enemy before further assistance arrived. He was also commended for conspicuous gallantry throughout the siege.
Additional information : He was elected under Rule 13 of the Royal Warrant, by his Regiment, for the Victoria Cross. In 1920 the Medal was in the possession of one Alexander Duncan Esq

THROSSELL, Hugo Vivian Hope. (reg No.1214).
Second Lieutenant. 10th Light Horse Regiment. Australian Imperial Force.
London Gazetted on 15th October 1915.
VC Medal's Custodian is the Australian War Memorial, Canberra, Austrailia.
Born 27th October 1884 at Northam , Western Australia.
Died on 19th November 1933 at Perth, Australia.
Memorial on a plaque at Greenmount, Australia and on the Australian War Memorial, Canberra, Australia.
Digest of Citation reads:
During operations on the Kaiakij Aghala, ( known as Hill 60), in the Gallipoli Peninsula on the 29th/30th August 1915, although a seriously wounded in several places during a counter-attack, Lieutenant Throssell refused to leave his post to receive medical assistance until he was satisfied that all danger was past. When he had his wounds dressed, he returned to the firing line until he was ordered out of the action by the Medical Officer. He was largely responsible, at that critical period, for saving the situation by his personal courage and fine example, by which he managed to keep up the spirits of his party.
Additional information:. Lieutenant Throssell was the youngest son of the Honourable George Throssell, CMG. At the beginning of the European War (WW I) he enlisted in the 10th Light Horse Regiment. He was first promoted to Sergeant and then gained a commission. For a time the Regiment was in Egypt before moving, dismounted, to Gallipoli, leaving Lieutenant Throssell in charge of the horses. He rejoined his regiment in Gallipoli Peninsula in time to take part, at Walker's Ridge, in the now famous charge of the Light Horse Brigade on the 7th August 1915. He was invalided to England suffering from meningitis, before returning to his regiment, which was then serving in Egypt and on to Palestine.
On his return to Australia, he married Katharine Susannah Prichard, the prize-winning author of "The Pioneers," a tale of Australian life. He did sterling work for the Discharged Soldier's Association in Western Australia.

TILSTON, Frederick Albert. (reg No. 1215).
Major. Essex-Scottish Regiment. Canadian Infantry Corps.
London Gazetted on 22nd May 1945.
VC Medal's Custodian is The Royal Canadian Military Institute, Toronto, Canada.
Born on 11th June 1906 at Toronto, Canada.
Died on 23rd September 1992 at Toronto, Canada.
Memorial on grave at Mount Hope Cemetery, Toronto, Canada.
Digest of Citation reads:
At the Hochwald Forest, Germany, on the 1st March 1945, Major Tilston led his company in the attack, even though he was wounded, through a tangle of 10 ft of barbed-wire, towards the enemy trenches. He personally silenced a machine-gun and was the first to reach the enemy position. While pressing on to the second objective, he received a severe wound in the hip but carried on regardless. His unshakeable confidence and his own enthusiasm gave such inspiration, to the men of his company, that they determinedly held on against greater odds. Wounded for a third time, and hardly conscious, he refused any medical attention until he given complete instructions to his men for the holding of the position.

TISDALL, Arthur Walderne St. Clair. (reg No. 1216).
Sub-Lieutenant. Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve. *
London Gazetted on 31st March 1916.
VC Medal's Custodian is the Royal Naval Museum, Portsmouth.
Born on 21st July 1890 at Bombay, India.
Killed in action on 6th May 1915 at Achi Baba, Gallipoli.
Memorial on Hellas Memorial, Gallipoli and at St George's Churchyard, Deal, Kent.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 25th April 1915, during the landing on 'V' Beach, Gallipoli, from the S.S. River Clyde, Sub-Lieutenant Tisdall heard wounded men calling for assistance. He jumped into the water and, pushing the boat before him, went to their rescue. Needing assistance, he took with him, on two trips, Leading Seaman Malia, and on further trips he was assisted by Chief Petty Officer Perring and Leading Seamen, Curtis and Parkinson. Sub-lieutenant Tisdall made around five trips between ship and shore, and was responsible for the rescue of several wounded men, all the time under extremely heavy and accurate fire. (The following was attached): "Owing to the fact that Sub-Lieutenant Tisdall and the platoon under his orders were on detached service at the time, and that this officer was killed in action on 6th May 1915, it has only now been possible to obtain complete information as to the individuals who took part in this gallant act. "
* Anson Battalion, Royal Naval Division.
Additional information:. Sub-Lieutenant Tisdall was the second son of the Reverend William St. Clair Tisdall and his second wife, Marian Louisa. Educated at Bedford School, where he was a member of the Officer Training Corps. He also went to Trinity College, Cambridge, where he rode in the First Trinity boat. He graduated with a BA, with Double First Classical Honours, in 1913 gaining the Chancellor's Gold Medal.
In May 1914 he joined the RNVR serving in the European War (WW I). He took part in the Antwerp expedition and in 1914 was commissioned Sub-Lieutenant. In April 1915 he took part in the landing a Gallipoli, where he won his Victoria Cross.

TOLLERTON, Ross. (reg No. 1217).
Private. 1st Battalion. Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders.
London Gazetted on 19th April 1915.
VC Medal's Custodian is the Highlanders Regimental Museum, Ardesier, Inverness-shire.
Born on 6th May 1898 at Hurlford, Ayr, Scotland.
Died on 7th May 1931 at Irvine, Ayrshire, Scotland.
Memorial on grave at Knadgerhill Cemetery, Irvine, Ayrshire, Scotland.
Digest of Citation reads:
Private Tollerton, on 14th September 1914, at the Battle of Aisne, France, carried a wounded officer, Captain Matheson, who had fallen as they came under heavy shell and machine-gun fire. Although he himself had been wounded in the head and hand, he raised the wounded officer on to his back and carried him into a small cornfield, where he left him and struggled back and rejoined the line. Private Tollerton stayed in the line until his battalion retired, at which time, he returned to the wounded officer. He lay beside Captain Matheson for three days, until they were both rescued.

TOMBS, Henry. (reg No. 1218).
Major. Bengal Horse Artillery.
London Gazetted on 24th April 1858.
VC Medal's Custodian is the Royal Artillery Museum, Woolwich.
Born on 10th November 1825 at Calcutta, India.
Died on 2nd August 1874 at Newport, Isle of Wight.
Memorial on grave at Carisbrooke cemetery, Isle of Wight and in the Garrison Church, Woolwich, London.
Digest of Citation reads:
At the Siege of Delhi, India, on the 9th July 1857, Major Tombs twice went to the rescue of Lieutenant J. Hills, one of his junior officers. On the first occasion, one of the enemy was about to kill Lieutenant Hills with his own sword when Major Tombs rushed in and shot the rebel. A second attack on the Lieutenant caused him to be cut down by a sword wound to his head. Major Tombs drove his sword through the subaltern's attacker, who would have undoubtedly killed the young officer.
Additional information:. Major-General Sir Henry Tombs was created Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath (KCB). He was the seventh son of Major General John and Mary Tombs. At the age of 14 he went to Sandhurst Military College until 30th June 1839. He joined the Bengal Artillery on 11th June 1841 as a Second Lieutenant.
Further research required.

TOMBS, Joseph Harcourt. (reg No. 1219).
Lance-Corporal. 1st Battalion. King's (Liverpool) Regiment.
London Gazetted on 24th July 1915.
VC Medal's Custodian is RHQ of the King's Regiment, Bury, Lancashire.
Born in 1884 at Melbourne, Victoria , Australia.
Died on 28th June 1966 at Toronto, Canada.
Memorial on grave at Pine Hill Cemetery, Toronto, Canada.
Digest of Citation reads:
Lance-Corporal Tombs, on his own initiative, repeatedly made his way out under extremely heavy fire, from shell and machine-gun, in order to bring in some wounded men who were lying, approximately 100 yards, in front of our trenches. He managed to rescue four men, one of whom was so badly wounded that had he not received Medical attention, he surely would have died. This man, Lance-Corporal Tombs dragged back by placing a rifle sling around the man's body and his own neck.

TOPHAM, Frederick George. (reg No. 1220).
Corporal. 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion.
London Gazetted on 3rd August 1945.
VC Medal's Custodian is the Canadian Force Airborne Museum, Petawawa, Canada.
Born on 10th August 1917 at Toronto, Canada.
Died on 31st May 1974 at Etobicoke, Canada.
Memorial on grave at Sanctuary Park Cemetery, Itobecoke, Canada.
Digest of Citation reads:
Two medical orderlies had been killed whilst attending to a wounded man on the 24th March, 1945 at Diersfordter, North West Europe. On his own initiative, Corporal Topham went out to continue their work and was injured through the nose. Despite his wound, he attended to the casualty and then brought the man in under continuous and heavy fire, and further refusing any medical treatment himself until all the casualties were cleared. He rescued three men from a disabled carrier, later in the day, despite the fact that the ammunition on board the carrier was exploding.

TOWERS, James. (reg No. 1221).
Private. 2nd. Battalion. Cameronians. *
London Gazetted on 6th January 1919.
VC Medal's Custodian is unknown.
Born on 9th September 1897 at Church House Farm, Broughton, Preston, Lancashire.
Died on 24th January 1977 at Preston, Lancashire.
Cremated at Preston Crematorium, Lancashire.
Digest of Citation reads:
After five futile, previous attempts, by runners, to deliver an important message at Méricourt, France, on 6th October 1918, Private Towers, being well aware of the fate of the previous runners, volunteered to carry out the task. As soon as he moved from his position, he was exposed to extremely heavy fire. In spite of this, he made his way stealthily from cover to cover, finally delivering the message successfully. He set an inspired example with his determination and his utter disregard for danger.
* Scottish Rifles.

TOWNER, Edgar Thomas. (reg No. 1222).
Lieutenant. 2nd. Battalion. Australian Machine-Gun Corps.
London Gazetted on 14th December 1918.
VC Medal's Custodian is unknown.
Born on 19th April 1890 at Glencoe Station, Queensland, Australia.
Died on 18th August 1972 at Kaloola Station, Longreach, Queensland, Australia.
Memorial on grave at a Longreach Cemetery, Queensland, Australia.
Digest of Citation reads:
Lieutenant Towner, on the 1st September 1918, was in charge of four Vicker's machine guns, at Mont St Quentin, Peronne, France. With a great devotion to duty, outstanding bravery and entirely on his own initiative, during the early stages of their advance, he located and single-handedly captured a machine-gun, which had been inflicting several casualties. Turning their own machine-gun on to the Germans, he inflicted heavy losses. Subsequently, by the skilful use of the Vicker's machine guns, he managed to cut off 25 of the enemy and take them prisoner. Later, with great foresight and readiness, and by his own fearless reconnaissance, he was able to bring his guns to bear on the enemy groups, where they were situated, giving valuable support to the advancing infantry. When short of ammunition, he secured and mounted an enemy machine gun, and in full view of the them, he fired upon them forcing them to retire even further, enabling the advance to continue. Although Lieutenant Towner was wounded, he continued to fire the gun at this very critical time. The following night, he inspired his men immensely as he gave support to a small detached post, remaining cheerful and cool at this time. Throughout the night, he kept close watch on the enemy and their actions by reconnoitring personally. Thirty hours after being wounded he was finally evacuated, completely exhausted. There is no doubt that this officer's resourcefulness, courage and sheer determination had saved a very critical situation, contributing greatly to the successful attack.
Additional information:. Major Towner, also held the Military Cross (MC) and the Croix de Guerre of France. He was a Fellow, of both, the Royal Geographical Society of Australia and the Royal Historical Society of New South Wales.

TOWSE, Ernest Beachcroft Beckwith. (reg No. 1223).
Captain. 1st. Battalion. Gordon Highlanders.
London Gazetted on 6th July 1900.
VC Medal's Custodian is the Gordon Highlanders Museum, Aberdeen, Scotland.
Born on 23rd April 1864 at Regent's Park, London.
Died on 21st June 1948 at Goring-on-Thames, Berkshire.
Memorial on grave at St Thomas of Canterbury Churchyard, Goring-on-Thames, Berkshire.
Digest of Citation reads:
During the retirement in the action at Magersfontein, South Africa, on 11th December 1899, Captain Towse showed great gallantry in assisting Colonel Downman, who had been mortally wounded. Whilst close to the front of the firing line, he attempted to get Colonel Downman on to his back, but found that it was not possible. Captain Towse supported the Colonel until Colour-Sergeant Nelson and Lance-Corporal Hodgson came to join him. On 30th April 1900, along with 12 men, Captain Towse, well away from any support, took up a opposition on Mount Thaba. Neither party having sighted the other until approximately 100 yards apart, the position was approached by some 150 Boers, who were attempting to take the same position. A party of the Boers managed to get within 40 yards of their position and called upon Captain Towse to surrender. At once, he ordered his men to fire, firing himself until both of his eyes were shattered, causing the attacking party to retire. The gallantry of Captain Towse, who not only been firing on the enemy, he actually charged at them, had saved the situation, even though they had been completely outnumbered.
Additional information:. Captain Towse was made a Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE). In 1892 he married Gertrude Christie. He was also made a Knight of the Order of St John.
He saw service in 1895 with the Chitral Relief Force; Malakand, receiving the medal and clasp; on the North West Frontier of India; Tirah 1897-98 and two clasps. He received the Queen's Medal and three clasps for service in South Africa, being mentioned twice in Despatches as well as being awarded the Victoria Cross. He was also seriously wounded in the eyes.
He was Sergeant at Arms to King Edward VII in 1901. In 1903 he was created a member of the Honourable Corps of Gentlemen at Arms
He served as the Honorary Staff Captain for Base Hospitals during the European War (WW I) 194 -18, and he was the Chairman of the Grand Council of Comrades of the Great War.

TOYE, Alfred Maurice. (reg No. 1224).
Second Lieutenant. * 2nd Battalion. Middlesex Regiment. *
London Gazetted on 8th May 1918.
VC Medal's Custodian is the National Army Museum, Chelsea, London.
Born on 15th April 1897 at Aldershot, Hampshire.
Died on 6th September 1955 at Tiverton, Devon.
Memorial on grave at Tiverton Cemetery, Devon.
Digest of Citation reads:
At Eterpigny Ridge, France, Captain Toye, when the enemy had captured the trench, at a bridgehead, he three times re-established the post during the 25th March 1918. The position was later taken by the enemy after new attacks. When three of his posts had been captured, Captain Toye, another officer and six men fought their way through the enemy. He then collected 70 men of the Battalion, who had been retiring, and took up a position which was maintained until reinforcements arrived. Without this action, the defence of the bridge would certainly have failed. On two further occasions, when in command of a composite company, he covered his battalion's retirement with both skill and courage. Later with a battalion headquarter's party, he forged on through the enemy who were situated in the village, firing at them in the streets, helping cover the battalion's retirement on the left flank. On a later occasion still, whilst in command of a mixed force of Brigade, after some extremely hard fighting, he managed to re-establish a line that had been lost before their arrival. His valour and leadership, throughout this extended period of intense fighting, were most conspicuous, especially as he had been wounded twice in 10 days, but had continued to remain on duty.
* Acting Captain
* Duke of Cambridge's Own.
Additional information:. Brigadier Toye also held Military Cross (MC). Between 1925-35 he was Assistant Commandant at the Royal Egyptian Military College in Cairo. From 1940-42 he commanded the Chemical Warfare School, followed in 1943 when he Commanded the 6th Airborne Division until 1944. Again in the Middle East he served at GHQ from 1945-48. Until his retirement he was the Commandant of the Home Office Civil Defence School.

TRAIN, Charles William. (reg No. 1225).
Corporal. 2nd/14th Battalion. * London Regiment (London Scottish).
London Gazetted on the 27th February, 1918.
VC Medal's Custodian is the London Scottish Regiment (Territorial Force), RHQ., Horseferry Road, London, SW1P 2DX.
Born on 21st September, 1890 at Finsbury Park, London.
Died on 28th March 1965 at Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
Memorial on grave at Field of Honour, Forest Lawn Memorial Park, Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada.
Digest of Citation reads:
When his company was unexpectedly engaged and brought to a halt, at close range, by the enemy with two machine guns, at Air Karim, near Jerusalem,Palestine. Corporal Train rushed forward and engaged the enemy with grenades, succeeding in putting some of the enemy team out of action by means of a direct hit. He did this on his own initiative, during which, he shot and wounded an enemy officer, killing or wounding, with grenades and rifle , most of the remainder of the team. Following this he went to the assistance of a comrade who was also bombing the enemy from the front, Corporal Train killed one of them who happened to be carrying his machine gun out of the action. He was no doubt responsible for saving his battalion from receiving heavy casualties, enabling them to advance at a seemingly critical time.
* County of London.
Additional information:. Army No. 510051, Sergeant Train's father and mother lived at 58, Chatterton Road, Finsbury Park, London. He attended Gillespie Road London County Council School, after which he became a solicitor's clerk. He had a brother, Private G. F. Train who served in the Royal Artillery both in France and Salonica, receiving wounds. Sergeant Train had joined the London Scottish 10 years prior to winning a Victoria Cross, seeing service in the European War and he was entitled to the Mons Star.

TRAVERS, James. (reg No. 1226).
Colonel. 2nd Bengal Native Infantry.
London Gazetted on 1st March 1861.
VC Medal's Custodian is unknown.
Born on 6th October 1820 at Cork, Ireland.
Died on 1st April 1884 at Verbania- Pallanza, Italy.
Buried in an unmarked grave at Municipal Ossuary, Pallanza, Italy.
Digest of Citation reads:
When the Presidency at Indore, India, during the Indian mutiny in July 1857, was surprisingly attacked by the Holkar's troops, Colonel Travers with only five men in support charged the guns, driving the Gunners away, and thereby causing a timely diversion, undoubtedly saving the lives of many persons. Officers who were present at the time considered that as a result of the charge, it enabled many Europeans to escape from actual slaughter and gained valuable time allowing the Bhopal Infantry to man their guns. Colonel Travers' horse had been wounded in three places as well as his accoutrements being shot through.
Additional information: General Travers was the son of Major General Sir Robert Travers. He was created a Companion of the Order of the Bath (CB). He saw service in Afghanistan, 1840-42 and action at Zamindanar, Ghuzni and Mydan. He further served at Bhopal and Kulla Karee and in 1856 received the thanks of the Governor-General for his services against the rebel Sunker Singh.

TRAVIS, Richard Charles.* (Reg. No. 1227)
Sergeant 2nd Battalion Otago Infantry Regiment NZEF.
London Gazetted on 27th September 1918.
Born on 6th April 1884 at Otara,Opotiki, Southland, New Zealand.
Died on 25th July 1918 at Rossignol Wood, France.
Memorial at Couin New British Cemetery, France and the HQ Dunedin RSA, New Zealand.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 24 July1918 at Rossignol Wood, north of Hebuterne, France, it was necessary to destroy an impassable wire block and Sergeant Travis volunteered for this duty. In broad daylight and in close proximity to enemy posts he crawled out, successfully bombing the block and the attacking parties were able to pass through. A little later when a bombing party was held up by machine -guns Sergeant Travis rushed the position, capturing the guns and killing the crew, also an officer and three men who attacked him, thus enabling the bombing party to advance. He was killed next day while going from post to post ecouraging his men .
Additional information: Sergeant Travis served in the European War (WW1) He held the Distinguished Conduct Medal as well as the Military Medal. He was awarded the Victoria Cross posthumously.
*Real name Dickson Cornelius SAVAGE.

TRAYNOR, William Bernard. (reg No. 1228).
Sergeant 2nd Battalion. West Yorkshire Regiment. *
London Gazetted on 17th September 1901.
VC Medal's Custodian is unknown.
Born on 31st December, 1870 at 29, Moxon Street, Hull, Yorkshire.
Died on 20th October 1956 at Dover, Kent.
Memorial on grave at Charlton Cemetery, Kent.
Digest of Citation reads:
During the attack on Bothwell Camp on the night of the 6th February, 1901, Sergeant Traynor jumped from his trench, and under extremely heavy fire ran to the assistance of a wounded soldier. On his way over to the man, the sergeant was severely wounded, making it impossible for him to carry the wounded man alone: so he called for assistance. Lance-Corporal Lintott immediately responded to the call and between them they were able to get the wounded man to shelter. Although severely wounded, Sergeant Traynor continued to command his section and cheerfully encouraged his men until the attack failed.
Additional information:. Sergeant Trayner was the son of Francis Taylor, formerly of County Monaghan, Ireland and his wife Rebecca of Hull. He was educated at the Roman Catholic School of Pryme St, Hull. He joined the West Yorkshire Regiment on 14th November 1888, serving in India, and from 1899 to 1901 in the Boer War seeing action at Willow Grange; Colenso; Spion Kop and Vaal Krantz. He also served in the actions in Northern Natal , at Pieter's Hill; Orange River Colony; Laing's Nek as well as in East and West Transvaal.
Because of wounds received, he was invalided from the army, being discharged on 29th September 1901. He became a barrack warden a year later at Dover.
He married Jane Elizabeth Martin and had six children, Alice Kathleen (born 5th May, 1898) Francis Bernard Redvers (born 7th December 1899), named after General Redvers Buller; Cecil Robert (born 4th May 1903) William Bothwell and Victor Charles, twins, (born on 5th April 1905) and Eileen May (born 20th July 1910).
Corporal Lintott, who came to his aid,so gallantly, was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal. (DCM).

TRENT, Leonard Henry. (reg No. 1229).
Squadron Leader. Royal New Zealand Air Force. *
London Gazetted on the 1st March 1946.
VC Medal's Custodian is the Royal Zealand Air Force Museum, based at Wigram, Christ Church, New Zealand.
Born on 14th April 1915 at Nelson, New Zealand.
Died on 18th May 1986 at Auckland, New Zealand.
Memorial at North Shore Crematorium, Auckland, New Zealand.
Digest of Citation reads:
Whilst on a daylight raid on Amsterdam power-station on 3rd May 1943, Squadron Leader Trent's attacking force, which consisted of 11 Venturas, was met and attacked by the superior number of enemy fighters. By the time they reached the power station, only three Venturas remained and one of these was destroyed. When Squadron Leader Trent's bombs had been released, the other aircraft had also disappeared. Almost immediately his own aircraft began to break-up, going into a spin throwing the Squadron Leader and his Navigator clear as they bailed out. In the face of overwhelming odds, he had shown great courage and had remained cool. They were both taken prisoner.
* At the Time of deed he was serving with 487 Squadron, Royal Air Force.
Additional information:. *Group Captain Trent VC., DFC., transferred and served with the Royal Air Force in England, becoming Aide-De-Camp to the Queen from 1962-65.
He was a prisoner of war in Stalag Luft III. He was one of many prisoners who, in March 1944, attempted a mass escape from captivity, albeit unsuccessful. Squadron Leader Trent was recaptured outside the tree-line of the camp after he'd been found lying in the grass. He stood up and surrendered.

TREVOR, William Spottiswoode. (reg No. 1230).
Major. Bengal Engineers. Indian Army.
London Gazetted on 31st December 1867.
VC Medal's Custodian is the Royal Engineers Museum, Prince Arthur Road, Gillingham, Kent.
Born on 9th October 1831 in India.
Died on 2nd November 1907 at 11, Queen's Mansions, Victoria Street, London, aged 76.
Memorial on grave at Kensal Green Cemetery, London.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 30th April 1865, after the retirement of the main body of the rebels, a party of them, between 180 and 200, barricaded themselves into a Blockhouse at Dewken-Giri, Bhootan, India, which they continued to defend after the position had been carried. This loop-holed Blockhouse was the critical point of the enemy's position. Following the orders of the general commanding, Major General Tombs VC., CB., seeing that no other storming officers were close by, he ordered Major Trevor and Lieutenant Dundas to find a way into the Blockhouse. They had to climb 15 ft up a ladder and enter through an opening about 2 ft wide between the top of the wall and the roof of the Blockhouse. Major Trevor told the Sikh soldiers, in Hindustani, to climb the wall. They showed no desire to respond. When Major Trevor and Lieutenant Dundas showed them the way, they responded immediately, following the officers with great alacrity. Both officers were wounded.
Additional:. Major-General Trevor was the son of Captain Robert S. Trevor of the Bengal Cavalry. He was born and brought up in India, as one of seven children. At the age of 10, William was taken, along with his mother and his six other siblings and many others, captive by Akhbar Khan. They were freed by a force sent by Sir George Pollock in order to avenge the assassination of the British envoy, Sir William McNaghton.

TREWAVAS, Joseph. (reg No. 1231).
Seaman. Royal Navy.
London Gazetted on 24th February 1857.
VC Medal's Custodian is Penlee House Gallery and Museum, Morrab Road, Penzance, Cornwall.
Born on 14th December 1835 at Mousehole, Cornwall.
Died on 20th July 1905 at Mousehole, Cornwall.
Grave in the Old School Cemetery, Paul, near Mousehole, Cornwall. A new memorial was erected at Paul's Church of St Pol De Lion, Paul, Cornwall, in June 2002.
Digest of Citation reads:
During the Crimean War, on 3rd July 1855, while serving aboard HMS Beagle in the Straits of Genitchi, Sea of Azov, Seaman Trawavas was sent to destroy a pontoon bridge that crossed between Genitchi and the Arabat Spit, in a gig. The shore was completely occupied by a line of Russian troops and the adjacent houses contained Riflemen. They went forward under extremely heavy fire, that was originating only 80 yards away. Seaman Trewavas, showing great heroism, cut the hawsers restraining the floating pontoon bridge. At the moment of his achievement he was wounded, but he managed to carry out his intent. The means of reinforcing the enemy had been destroyed.
Additional information:. Seaman Trawavas was the son of Joseph and Ann Trewavas of Mousehole, Cornwall. He was educated at the National School in the village of Paul, Cornwall. He also held the Conspicuous Gallantry Medal. (CGM).
He married Margaret, the daughter of Benjamin and Sarah Harry on the 15th to January 1866 at Paul Church and had three children, Joseph born on 14th December 1866 and two daughters, Elizabeth and Sarah.
On 15th October 1853 he joined HMS Agamemnon, serving in the Crimea from 1854-55, and taking part in the bombardment of Sebastopol on 17th October 1854.

TRIGG, Lloyd Allan. (reg No. 1232).
Flying Officer. Royal New Zealand Air Force. *
London Gazetted on the 2nd November 1943.
VC Medal's Custodian is unknown.
Born on 5th June 1914 at Houhora, New Zealand.
Died on 11th August 1943. Flying Officer Trigg was lost at sea when his aircraft crashed after attacking and sinking a U-boat. *
Memorial on the Malta Memorial, Malta GC., and also at the Headquarters of the Dunedin RSA, New Zealand.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 11th August 1943, Flying Officer Trigg's Liberator aircraft was on patrol over the Atlantic, when they sighted a U-boat on the surface. During the Attack approach, the enemy's anti-aircraft guns scored many hits on the Liberator, causing it to burst into flames and enveloping the tail. Although he could have broken off the engagement, he continued the attack knowing full well that a crash-landing on the sea would have saved all their lives. Flying at an altitude of 50 feet, they dropped their bombs on and around the submarine, effecting a sinking that took around 10 to 20 minutes. The Liberator then crashed into the sea along with Flying Officer Trigg and his gallant crew. All were lost.
* Serving with 200 Squadron of the Royal Air Force at time of deed.
Additional information:. Flying Officer Trigg also held the Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC). It was on the testimony of the survivors of the U-boat that the heroism and gallantry of Flying Officer Trigg and his crew became known. He had shown, in their words, "amazing courage," as he had attacked them knowing his aircraft was on fire. (No mention of this is made in the London Gazette of the 2nd November 1943, that his recommendation, for the Victoria Cross, was virtually made on their testimony alone).
His Victoria Cross was sold at auction by Spinks on 6th May 1998 for £120,000 to a private buyer.

TRIQUET, Paul. (reg No. 1233).
Captain. Royal 22nd Regiment. Canadian Army.
London Gazetted on 6th March 1944.
VC Medal's Custodian is the Royal 22nd Regimental Museum, Quebec, Canada.
Born on 2nd April 1910 at Cabano, Quebec, Canada
Died on 4th August 1980 at Quebec, Canada.
Major Triquet cremated at Mount Royal Crematorium, Montreal, Canada.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 14th December at Casa Berardi, Italy, during the attack, and supported by a Canadian Armoured Regiment, Captain Triquet and his company came under very heavy fire from machine guns and mortars. When all of his company's officers and half its men had been either killed or wounded, Captain Triquet dashed forward accompanied by the remaining men and broke through the enemy's resistance. With his small body of men, who by this time were reduced to 15 men and two senior NCOs, they forced their way forward gaining a position on the objective's outskirts. During the action, four tanks were destroyed and several machine-gun nests put out of action. This small contingent, along with the remaining tanks, held out against attacks from superior numbers of the enemy until they were relieved the following day by the remainder of the Battalion. Captain Triquet showed an utter disregard for danger throughout the whole of the action and filled his men with inspiration by his cheerful encouragement.
Additional information:. Major Triquet was educated at Cobano Academy, during which time he joined the Cabano Cadet Force and showed interest in the military from a very early age. From 1954-59 he commanded the Canadian 8th Militia Group. He was Aide de Camp to the Governor-General of Quebec, Provisional Commissioner of St John's Ambulance Corps as well as President L'Association du 22e Inc.

TUBB, Frederick Harold. (reg No. 1234).
Lieutenant. 7th Battalion * Australian Imperial Force.
London Gazetted on 15th October 1915.
VC Medal's Custodian is the Australian War Memorial, Canberra, Australia.
Born on 28th November 1881 at St Helena, Longwood, Victoria, Australia.
Killed in action on 20th September 1917 at Polygon Wood, Ypres, Belgium.
Memorial on grave at Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery, Belgium. Also commemorated at the Australian War Memorial, Canberra, Australia.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 8th August 1915 in the Lone Pine trenches on the Gallipoli peninsula, the enemy made a determined counter-attack on the newly captured trench held by Lieutenant Tubb. The enemy advanced of the sap, blowing up a sandbag barricade leaving just one foot of its standing. Lieutenant Tubb and his men repulsed the attack and rebuilt the barricade under the support of a strong bombing party. One each occasion Lieutenant Tubb, although wounded in both the hand and arm, held his ground with great coolness and courage. He finally succeeded in maintaining his position under very heavy bomb fire.
* Victoria.
Additional information:. Major Tubb was the son of Harry and Emma (née Abbott) Tubb. His parents were English, his father being born in Hampshire and his mother in Wiltshire. They came from an old Cornish family. St Neots Church had a window put in by his ancestors in 1620. Their name is spelt Tubbe in an old Cornish book.
More research required.

TULBAHADUR PUN. (reg No. 1236).
Rifleman. 3rd Battalion. 6th Gurkha Rifles. Indian Army.
London Gazetted on 9th November 1944.
VC Medal's Custodian is the Gurkha Museum, Winchester.
Born on 23rd March 1923 at Banduk Village in the Parbat District of Nepal.
Digest of Citation reads:
During the attack on the railway bridge at Mogaung, Burma, on 23rd June 1944, a section of Rifleman Tulbahadur Pun's Platoon was wiped out with the exception of his section commander, another Rifleman and himself. The section leader led the three of them in a charge against the enemy position during which, both the leader and the third man fell badly wounded. Rifleman Tulbahadur Pun, armed with a Bren gun, charged on alone, in spite of a devastating fire from the enemy, and on reaching the position killed three of the occupants, forcing five more of the enemy to flee in terror. He captured two light machine guns and considerable ammunition. His accurate supporting fire then allowed the rest of his platoon to move forward and reached their objective.

TURNBULL, James Youll. (reg No. 1236).
Sergeant. 17th Battalion. Highland Light Infantry.
London Gazetted on the 25th November 1916.
VC Medal's Custodian is unknown.
Born on 24th December 1883 at Glasgow, Scotland.
Killed in action on the 1st July 1916 at Authuille, France.
Memorial on grave at Lonsdale Cemetery, Authuille, France.
Digest of Citation reads:
On the 1st July, 1916, Sergeant Turnbull's party had captured a post of some importance. The Germans immediately mounted heavy counter-attacks on the post, continuous throughout the day. Sergeant Turnbull's party was continually wiped out and replaced several times but the sergeant never wavered in his determination to hold the position. Almost single-handed, he displayed a high degree of skill and Valour during this time, knowing that the loss of the position would have been extremely serious. During a bombing attack later in the day, Sergeant Turnbull was killed.

TURNER, Alexander Buller. (reg No. 1237).
Second Lieutenant. 3rd Battalion.(attached to 1st Battalion). Royal Berkshire Regiment.
London Gazetted on 18th November 1915.
VC Medal's Custodian isThe Royal Gloucestershire, Berkshire & Wiltshire Regiment Museum,
58 The Close, Salisbury, Wiltshire.
Born on the 22nd May, 1893 at Reading, Berkshire.
Died of his wounds on the 1st October 1915 near Chocques, France.
Memorial on grave at Chocques Military Cemetery, France.
Digest of Citation reads:
Second Lieutenant Turner volunteered to lead a new bombing attack at Fosse 8, Vermelles, France, after previous attacks by the Regimental bombers had failed to make any headway on 20th September 1915. He made his way, almost alone, along the communication trench continuously throwing bombs with courage and determination in such a way that the Germans were forced to retreat 150 yards. His act of courage allowed the reserves to advance with minor casualties. Subsequently, during the retirement of his regiment, he covered the flank, no doubt averting the loss of some hundreds of his comrades. During this action, Second Lieutenant Turner was wounded. He subsequently died of these wounds.
Additional information:. Second Lieutenant Turner was the brother of Lieutenant Colonel Victor Buller Turner VC., CVO. Both brothers had included in their Christian names, Buller, as they had a family connection with General Sir Redvers Buller VC., GCB., GCMG.

TURNER, Hanson Victor. (reg No. 1238).
Sergeant. 1st Battalion. West Yorkshire Regiment.
London Gazetted on 17th August 1944.
VC Medal's Custodian is The Duke of Wellington's Regimental Museum, Halifax.
Born on 17th July 1910 at Andover, Hampshire.
Killed in action on 7th June 1944 at Ningthoukong, Burma.
Memorial on grave at the Commonwealth War Graves Commission Cemetery, Imphal, India.
Digest of Citation reads:
Just after midnight on 7th June 1944, a powerful force of Japanese made an attack at Ningthoukong, Burma. In beginning the bulk of the attack was on the south-west corner which was held by a small party of 20 men under the command of Sergeant Turner. The enemy creeping under the cover of a nullah * got into a position where they could use grenades with deadly effect on the small party. Three of their light machine guns having been put out of commission, leaving only one, the party were forced to withdraw a distance of 40 yards which they did under the cool leadership of Sergeant Turner.. The Japanese made continuous attempts to dislodge them, concentrating as much fire as they could in order to allow their advance. Sergeant Turner and his reduced party managed to sustain a fire that held the enemy for two hours. It was due to his determination and endurance that they managed to repel all attacks:allowing them to hold the position throughout the night. He then went forward alone from the position, armed with as many grenades as he could carry, and single handed carried out an attack against the enemy. Using the weapons to devastating effect, all the time under severe fire from the enemy, he returned no less than five times to renew his supplies. On the 6th occasion, however, he was killed in the act of throwing a grenade into an enemy party.
* Hindu for dry river bed or ravine.

TURNER, Richard Ernest William. (reg No. 1239).
Lieutenant. Royal Canadian Dragoons.
London Gazetted on 23rd April 1901.
VC Medals Custodian is The Royal Canadian Dragoons Museum, New Brunswick, Canada.
Born on the 25th of July 1871 at Quebec, Canada.
Died on 29th June 1961 at Quebec, Canada.
Memorial on grave at Mount Hermon Cemetery, Sillery, Quebec, Canada.
Digest of Citation reads:
During an action at Komati River, South Africa, on 7th November 1900, the guns were in danger of being captured by the Boers. Lieutenant Turner, although twice wounded, dismounted and by deploying his men at close quarters was successful in driving off the enemy, thus saving the guns.
Additional information:. Lieutenant General Sir Richard Turner also held the Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath (KCB); Knight Commander of the Order of St Michael and St George (KCMG); the Distinguished Service Order (DSO); the Légion d'Honneur and Croix de Guerre avec Palme of France; the Russian Order of White Eagle with Swords. He also served in the European War (WW I), Commanding a Canadian Brigade of Infantry and the 2nd Canadian Division: he was also the General Officer Commanding Canadian forces in England from 1916-18
He married Harriet Gooday in 1900 and had a son and a daughter

TURNER, Samuel. (reg No. 1240).
Private. 1st Battalion. 60th Rifles. *
London Gazetted on 20th January 1860.
VC Medal's Custodian is unknown.
Born in February 1826 at Witnesham, Ipswich, Suffolk.
Died on 13th June 1868 at Meerut, India.
Buried in an unmarked grave at St John's Cemetery, The Cantonment, Meerut, India.
Digest of Citation reads:
Private Turner, during a heavy engagement with the enemy on the night of 19th June 1857 at Delhi, India, when the enemy attacked at the rear of the camp, carried off a mortally wounded officer, Lieutenant Humphreys, of the Indian Service, under extremely heavy fire. Private Turner himself had received a sabre cut wound. His gallant conduct saved the officer, who died, from the fate that was suffered by the others. Their mutilated corpses were recovered the following day.
* King's Royal Rifle Corps.

TURNER, Victor Buller. (reg No. 1241).
Lieutenant Colonel. Rifle Brigade. *
London Gazetted on 20th November 1942.
VC Medal's Custodian is the Royal Green Jackets Museum, Winchester.
Born on 17th January 1900 at Thatcham, Newbury, Berkshire.
Died on 7th August 1972 at Ditchingham, Bungay, Suffolk.
After Cremation at Horsham St Faith, Norfolk, his ashes were interred at St Mary's churchyard, Ditchingham, Suffolk. Name also appears on the Rifle Brigade Memorial, Winchester Cathedral.
Digest of Citation reads:
Lieutenant Colonel Turner was commanding a battalion of the Rifle Brigade at 'Kidney Ridge', El Aqqaqir, in the Western Desert. On the night of the 27th October 1942, he led the Battalion through extremely difficult terrain, for over two miles, to their objective, where they captured 40 prisoners. Organising an all-round defence of the captured position which came under continuous attack from the enemy they held out for nearly 14 hours. Owing to the accuracy of the enemy fire and their isolated position, they were unable to replenish their supplies of ammunition. During these hours of isolation they came under attack from enemy tanks, around 90 in all. The Germans lost 35 of these tanks during this engagement and approximately 20 more were immobilised. Throughout the action Lieutenant Colonel Turner was found wherever the position was most threatened and on one occasion acted as a loader for a six pounder gun that was manned only by an officer and a sergeant. He was in this situation when he received a wound to the head. He delayed any medical attention until the last tank had been destroyed. His encouragement to the men under his command and his own personal gallantry set an example to the whole Battalion.
* Prince Consort's Own.
Additional information:. Lieutenant Colonel Victor Buller was the brother of Second Lieutenant A.B.Turner VC and had a family connection with General Sir Redvers Buller VC. He was also Commander of the Victorian Order (CVO). Once he was taken prisoner, but gaining the support of his fellow prisoners they turned on their captors, in turn taking them prisoner and returning to the Allied lines with enemy soldiers loaded in lorries.

TURRALL, Thomas George. (reg No. 1242).
Private. 10th Battalion. Worcestershire Regiment.
London Gazetted on the 9th of September 1916.
VC Medal's Custodian is the Worcester Regimental Museum, Worcester.
Born on 5th July 1885 at Hay Mills, Birmingham.
Died on 21st February 1964 at Birmingham.
Memorial on grave at Robin Hood Cemetery, Solihull, Birmingham.
Digest of Citation reads:
During an attack with bombs, against the Germans, by a small section of men on 3rd July 1916 at La Boiselle, France, , the officer in command was severely wounded. The section were eventually forced to retire. Private Turrall decided to stay with the wounded officer and for over three hours suffered heavy, continuous fire from both machine-guns and grenades. In spite of the fact that they were completely separated from their own company, Private Turrall held his position with great determination before a counter-attack, by our own troops, made it possible for him to carry the officer back to the safety of our own lines.
Additional information:. No 15888, Private Turrall, was the son of Mr and Mrs Turrall of 23, Oakley Road, Small Heath, Birmingham

TYTLER, John Adam. (reg No. 1243).
Lieutenant. 66th Bengal Native Infantry. *
London Gazetted on 23rd August 1858.
VC Medal's Custodian is The Gurkha Museum, Winchester.
Born on 29th October 1835 at Monghyr, Bengal, India.
Died of pneumonia on 14th February 1880 at Thal, Kurram Valley, North West Frontier of India.
Memorial on grave at the Christian Cemetery, Pohat, Pakistan.
Digest of Citation reads:
As they approached the enemy position on 10th February 1858 at Choopoorah, India, Lieutenant Tytler's men wavered as they came under heavy fire of round shot, grape and musket. Lieutenant Tytler charged ahead alone, on horseback, towards the enemy and attacked the rebel gunners. For a short time he was engaged in hand-to-hand fighting until he was reached by the his troops and the position was carried. Before his men arrived he had been shot through the left arm and had received a spear wound in the chest as well as a ball through the sleeve of his uniform jacket.
* 1st Gurkha Rifles.
Additional information:. Brigadier-General Tytler was also a Companion of the Order of the Bath. He was a son of a surgeon to the East India Company, Mr and Mrs John Tytler. He was sent home at the age of five from India to be brought up by his mother's sisters until his parents returned in 18 35. On moving to Jersey he attended a local school until his father's death. His mother then moved to Edinburgh where he attended the Academy. He joined the East India Company in 1843. He joined the 66th Bengal Native Infantry in 1844 seeing action at Peshawar. He died of pneumonia at the age of 44, weakened by the severe wounds received. He was credited with turning raw levies into one the smartest Gurkha Regiments in the Indian Army.