PALMER, Anthony. (reg No. 956).
Private. 3rd Battalion Grenadier Guards.
London Gazetted on the 24th February, 1857.
Born in 1819 and Brereton, Congleton, Cheshire.
Died on 12th December 1892 at Crumpsall, Manchester, Lancashire.
Memorial on grave at Heywood Cemetery, Rochdale, Lancashire.
Digest of Citation reads:
During the Battle of Inkerman, Crimea, on 5th November 1854, Brevet Major Sir Charles Russell offered to dislodge a body a Russian soldiers from the Sandbag battery if anyone would volunteer to go with him. Sergeant Norman, Private Anthony Palmer and Private Bailey volunteered. The attack succeeded. Private PALMER was present when the charge was made in defence of the Colours. Sir Charles Russell also witnessed Private PALMER make a single charge against the enemy. He undoubtedly saved Sir Charles' life when he shot an assailant who was about to bayonet him.
Additional information:. During this action Private Bailey was killed.
See also Brevet-Major Sir Charles Russell VC (reg No 1087).

PALMER, Frederick William. (reg No. 957).
Lance Sergeant. 22nd Battalion. Royal Fusiliers.
London Gazetted on 3rd April 1917.
Born on 11th November 1891 at Hammersmith, London.
Died on 10th September, 1955 at Hordle, Hampshire.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
North of Courcelette, France, on the 16th/17th February 1917, when all his officers had become casualties, Lance Sergeant PALMER assumed command of his company. Under point-blank machine-gun fire he cut his way through barbed wire entanglements. He and six of his men rushed the enemy trench and dislodged an enemy machine gun which had hampered the advance. He collected men detached from other regiments and held the barricade for almost three hours against seven determined counter-attacks under a continuous barrage of bombs and rifle grenades from his flank and front. Lance Sergeant PALMER went in search of more bombs and in the short absence an 8th counter-attack, from the enemy, succeeded in driving his party back, threatening the defence of the whole flank. Although he'd been blown off his feet by a bomb and was exhausted, rallying his men he drove back the enemy and maintained his position. his determination and devotion to duty undoubtedly averted what might have been a disaster in this sector of the line.
Additional information:. Second Lieutenant PALMER also held the Military Medal (MM).

PALMER, Robert Anthony Maurice. (reg No. 958 )
Squadron Leader. 109 Squadron. Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve.
London Gazetted on 23rd March 1945.
Born on 7th July 1920 at Gillingham, Kent.
Killed in burning aircraft on 23rd December, 1944 over Cologne, Germany.
Memorial on grave in Commonwealth War Graves Commission Cemetery, Rheinberg, Germany.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 23rd December 1944, Squadron Leader Palmer was leading a Lancaster formation on a daylight raid over Cologne, Germany, to attack the marshalling yards. It was his task to mark the target. He came under extremely heavy anti-aircraft fire minutes before reaching the target, causing two engines to be set on fire. Enemy fighters attacked in force, but it did not deter Squadron Leader Palmer from diverging from his course, knowing that if he did so, he would be unable to utilise the special equipment to the best advantage. He was determined to provide an aiming point that could be easily seen by the following bombers. Ignoring the risk of fire and explosion in the aircraft, and it taking an immense effort to keep the aircraft on a straight course, he nevertheless, madea perfect approach and the bombs found their target. His Lancaster was last seen spiralling downwards in flames. There was only one survivor: the rear-gunner.
Additional information:.
Squadron Leader Palmer had completed 110 missions and was a member of the famous 'Pathfinder Force'. These operations began in January 1941 and he took part in the first 1000 bomber raid against Cologne in 1942. He was amongst the first to drop a 4000 lb bomb on Germany.
He held the Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC) and Bar.

PARK, James. (reg No. 959).
Gunner. Bengal Artillery.
London Gazetted on 24th December, 1858.
Born in January 1835 at Barony, Glasgow.
Died on 14th June 1858 at Lucknow, India.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
Gunner Park acted with conspicuous gallantry throughout the period 14th to 22nd of November 1857 at the Relief of Lucknow, India.
Additional information:. Gunner Park was elected by the Regiment, along with four others, under Rule 13 of the Royal Warrant for the Victoria Cross. (See Lieutenant HARINGTON, reg No. 531; Rough-Rider JENNINGS, reg No. 638; Gunner LAUGHNAN, reg No. 719 and Gunner McINNES, reg No. 787.).

PARK, John. (reg No. 960).
Sergeant. 77th Regiment *.
London Gazetted on 24th February 1857.
Born in February 1835 at Londonderry, Ireland.
Died on 18th May 1863 at Allahabad, India.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
Sergeant Park, on 20th September and 5th November 1854, whilst taking part in the Battles of Alma and Inkerman showed great bravery. He also highly distinguished himself at the taking of the Russian Rifle Pits on the night of the 19th April 1855. His valour during the attack, when he was severely wounded, found the approval of Colonel Egerton.
* Duke of Cambridge's Own --- Middlesex Regiment.

Havildar. 8th Punjab Regiment. Indian Army.
London Gazetted on 13th May 1943.
Born on 31st March 1913 at Sharikar, Jaranavala Tehsil, Lyallpur Distrt., India.
Died on 23rd March 1991, whilst on a visit to England, at Ealing, London.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
Havildar Parkash Singh drove his own carrier forward to rescue the crews of two other disabled carriers under extremely heavy fire on 6th January 1943 at Donbaik, Mayu Peninsula, Burma. In the same area, on 19th January 1943, he again rescued two more carriers which had been put down of action by Japanese anti-tank gun. He went out again and brought to safety another disabled carrier and its two wounded occupants.
Additional information:. Havildar Parkash Singh held the Indian PVSM.

PARKER, Charles Edward Haydon. (reg No. 962).
Sergeant. 'Q' Battery. Royal Horse Artillery.
London Gazetted on 26th June 1900.
Born on 11th March 1870 at Birmingham.
Died on 5th December 1918 at Coventry, Warwickshire.
Memorial on grave at London Road Cemetery, Coventry, Warwickshire.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 31st March 1900, two batteries of the Royal Horse Artillery were retiring towards Bloemfontein, South Africa. The Boers had formed an ambush at Korn Spruit and before it was realised they captured a large portion of the baggage column and five of the six guns of the leading battery. When the alarm was sounded Q battery was within 300 yards of the Spruit, they at once wheeled about, moving off at a gallop under very heavy fire. A wheel horse was shot, it's gun upset, and had to be abandoned, along with another waggon whose horses had been killed. The remainder of the battery came into action close to some unfinished railway buildings, 1,150 yards from the Spruit and remained in action until told to retire. Then Major Phipps-Hornby, Commanding the battery, ordered the guns and limbers to be run back to safety. This exhausting operation was carried out by Sergeant Parker, Major Phipps-Hornby, Gunner Lodge, , and Driver Glasock. When finally all the guns, except one and one limber, had been removed to safety: the battery was reformed.
Additional information:. Sergeant Parker along with Major Phipps-Hornby, reg No. 595; Gunner Lodge, reg No. 749; and Driver Glasdock, reg No. 452, were elected by the Regiment under Rule 13 of the Royal Warrant for the Victoria Cross. (each one being elected according to his rank by his peers ie., Officer, NCOs and Privates.[ see a royal warrant page.] )
NB. In the VC Research archives is a photograph of the grave of a Sergeant C. Parker. VC of D Battery Royal Horse Atillery. It is in Stellawood Cemetery, Durban, South Africa. As no VC, of this name, is on the Register,we can only assume that the VC claim is a fake, or it stands for some other meaning.


PARKER, Walter Richard (Reg. No.963).
Lance Corporal Royal Marine Light Infantry.
London Gazetted on 22nd June 1917.
VC Medal's Custodian is the Royal Marine museum, Eastney Barracks, Southsea, Hants.
Born on 20th September 1881 at Grantham, Lincolnshire
Died on 28th, November 1936 at Stapleford, Nottinghamshire
Memorials on grave at Stapleford Cemetery; Walter Parker Square.(Photo*.) R.M.Museum. Eastney.
Digest of Citation reads:
On the night of 30 April/1 May 1915 at Gaba Tepe, Gallipoli, Lance Corporal Parker, a volunteer stretcher bearer, went out with a party of NCOs and men to take vital supplies to an isolated trench. Several men had already been killed in an attempt to reach the trench, and after crossing an area of about 400 yards swept by machine gun and rifle fire. Lance Corporal Parker was alone, the rest of the party having been killed or wounded. On his arrival he gave assistance to the wounded and when the trench was finally evacuated, he helped to remove and attend the casualties although he himself was seriously hurt.
* A small square was named after Lance corporal Parker on date, It was attended by his daughter Victoria and an attachment of Royal Marines.

PARKES, Samuel. (reg No. 964).
Private . 4th Light Dragoons *.
London Gazetted on 24th February 1857.
Born in 1813 at Stafford, Staffordshire.
Died on 14th November 1864 at London.
Buried in unmarked grave at Brompton Cemetery, London.
Digest of Citation reads:
In the charge of the Light Brigade at Balaclava, Crimea, Trumpet Major Crawford's horse fell and dismounted him, causing him to lose his sword. He was then attacked by two Cossacks when Private Parkes, whose horse had been killed, saved his life by placing himself between them and the Trumpet Major, driving them away with this sword. Whilst attempting to follow the Light Cavalry, in its retreat, they were both attacked by six Russians whom Parkes kept at a distance, as they retired slowly, using his sword deftly and skilfully to defend the Trumpet Major, for some time, until he was deprived of his sword by a shot.
* Queen's Own 4th Hussars
Additional information:. Private Parkes' Army No. 635 of the 4th Light Dragoons. He was presented with the Victoria Cross at the Investiture held on Hyde Park on the 26th June 1857.

PARSLOW, Frederick Daniel. (reg No. 965).
Lieutenant. Royal Naval Reserve.
London Gazetted on 24th May 1919.
Born on 14th April 1856 at London.
Killed on the bridge of H.M. Horse Transport Anglo-California at sea on 4th July 1915, south-west of Queenstown, Ireland.
Memorial on grave at Queenstown and on the Tower Hill Memorial, London.
Digest of Citation reads:
HM Horse Transport Anglo-California, completely unarmed, was attacked, on the surface, by a German submarine on 4th July 1915, south-west of Queenstown, Ireland. The submarine, in spite of the fact that Lieutenant Parslow, commanding, the Transport, kept altering the course, made occasional hits. The submarine hoisted the single "abandon the vessel as fast as possible." Lieutenant Parslow stopped the transport and was about to give the order to abandon ship, when a message was recieved, from a destroyer, to hold on as long as possible: so he got the Anglo-California under way again. At this, the U-boat opened up a very heavy fire, doing great damage to the transport. Lieutenant Parslow remained on the bridge throughout the whole attack, he was entirely without protection and was killed when the bridge was wrecked.

PARSONS, Francis Newton. (reg No. 966).
Lieutenant. 1st Battalion. Essex Regiment.
London Gazetted on 20th November 1900.
Born on the 23rd March, 1875 at Dover, Kent.
Killed in action on 10th March 1900 at Driefontein, South Africa.
Memorial on a tablet, unveiled by Sir Evelyn Wood VC in 1903. This tablet contains, along with Lieutenant Parsons name, seven fellow officers, one warrant officer and 198 non-commissioned officers and men of the Essex Regiment who gave their lives for their country in the Boer War. Memorial's whereabouts not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
On the South Bank of the Modder river, on the morning of the 18th February 1900, Private Ferguson of the 1st Battalion, Essex Regiment fell wounded in a place devoid of any cover. Whilst crawling to cover he was again wounded: in the stomach. Lieutenant Parsons immediately went to his assistance and dressed his wounds under extremely heavy fire, going twice down to the bank of the river to get water for the wounded man, all the time under heavy fire. Eventually he was able to get Private Ferguson to a place of safety.
Additional information:. Lieutenant Parsons was the son of Charles Parsons M D and his wife Venetia Digby Parsons of Dover. He was educated at King's College School, Cambridge, followed by Dover College and eventually at Sandhurst. He joined the 1st Battalion of the 44th Essex Regiment on 29th February 1896. On 1st March 1898 he was promoted to lieutenant.
He was killed in an engagement on the 10th March 1900 at Dreifontein.

PARSONS, Harry Falconer. (reg No. 967).
Second Lieutenant. 14th (Service) Battalion. Gloucestershire Regiment.
London Gazetted on 17th October 1917.
Born on 13th June 1897 at Rishton, Blackburn, Lancashire.
Died of wounds on 21st August 1917 near Epehy, France.
Memorial on grave at Villers-Faucon Communal Cemetery, France.
Digest of Citation reads:
During a night attack on the 20th/21st August, 1917 near Epehy, France, by a strong party of the enemy on a bombing post under his command, the bombers holding the post were forced back, but Second Lieutenant Parsons stayed at his post. Single-handed and severely scorched and burned by liquid fire he continued to delay the enemy with bombs until he was severely wounded. His gallant action held the enemy long enough to allow for the organisation of a bombing party, which successfully drove back the enemy before they managed to gain entry into any part of the trench. He later died from the wounds received.
Additional information:. Second Lieutenant Parsons was the eldest son of the Reverend J.A. Ash Parsons of Bristol. He was educated at Kingswood School, Bristol . Before joining the Army he was taking a medical course, hoping become a medical missionary, at Bristol University. He was aged 20 when he was killed.

PARTRIDGE, Frank John. (reg No. 968).
Private. 8th Battalion * Australian Military Forces.
London Gazetted on 22nd January 1946.
Born on the 29th November, 1924 at Grafton, New South Wales, Australia.
Died on 23rd March 1964 at Bellinger, New South Wales, Australia.
Memorial on grave at Marksville Cemetery, New South Wales and on the Australian War Memorial, Canberra.
Digest of Citation reads:
At Bougainville, in the Solomon Islands, on 24th July 1945, Private Partridge's section came under heavy fire from machine-guns and they suffered severe casualties. The Bren gunner was killed. In spite of being badly wounded himself, Private Partridge retrieved the Bren gun from the dead man and handed it to another to provide covering fire whilst he rushed a bunker to silence the enemy machine gun with a grenade. He killed the single occupant and went on to attack another bunker. Loss of blood caused him to grow weak which compelled him to halt. He rejoined the action later, during which time the Platoon withdrew from an untenable situation.

PATON, George Henry Tatham. (reg No. 969).
Captain. 4th Battalion. Grenadier Guards.
London Gazetted on 13th February 1918.
Born on the 3rd October 1895 at Inellan, Argyllshire, Scotland.
Killed in action on the 1st December 1917 at Gonnelieu, France.
Memorial on grave at Metz-en-Couture Communal Cemetery, British Extension, France.
Digest of Citation reads:
On the 1st December 1917 when the unit on his left was driven back, leaving his flank in the air and his company completely surrounded, he exposed himself fearlessly in order to readjust the line, walking up and down within 50 yards of the enemy, all the time under withering fire. He was the last to leave the village after having, personally, removed several of the wounded men. He again readjusted the line, and regardless of all danger, exposed himself to the enemy. The enemy counter-attacked four-times, and each time Captain Paton leapt on to the Parapet to stimulate his command. After the enemy had broken through on his left, he again mounted the Parapet, and with a few men who had been inspired by his example, forced the enemy to withdraw once more. There was no doubt that this action saved the left flank. He was mortally wounded.
Additional information:. Captain Paton also held the Military Cross (MC). He was the son of George William Paton, Deputy Chairman and Managing Director of Messrs Bryant and May Ltd and his wife, Etta Tatham of 3 Whitehall Court, S W. He was educated at Rottingdean School and at Clifton College. In September 1914 he joined the Army. He was gazetted Second Lieutenant in the 17th County of London Regiment making First Lieutenant on 3rd October 1915. He transferred to the Grenadier Guards in January 1916 and was promoted Second Lieutenant on the 28th January 1916, Becoming Acting Captain on 4th June 1917.
He was awarded the Military Cross in August 1917. He was the first Grenadier Guard's officer to win the Victoria Cross since the Crimea.

PATON, John. (reg No. 970).
Sergeant. 93rd Regiment *
London Gazetted on the 24th December, 1858.
Born on the 23rd December, 1833 at Stirling, Scotland.
Died on 1st April 1914 at Sydney, New South Wales, Australia.
Memorial on grave at Rookwood Cemetery, Sydney, Australia.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 16th November 1857, Sergeant Paton went alone around the Shah Nujjiff, at Lucknow, India, under extremely heavy fire and discovered a breach in the opposite side. Later he conducted the Regiment to this breach and by this means, the important position was taken..
* Princess Louise's Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders.
Additional information:. Sergeant Paton was elected by the non-commissioned officers of the 93rd Regiment for the Victoria Cross, under Rule 13 of the Royal Warrant of 29th January 1856.
He joined the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders and served in the campaigns of Turkey, the Crimea and India from February 1854 to July 1856. Before the Crimean War the 42nd, 79th and 93rd Highlanders were formed into the Highland Brigade. They fought at the Battle of Alma. On the 25th September, the Highland Brigade formed a part of the historic "thin red line ," which faced the whole of the Russian Cavalry at Balaclava. They were at the front at the storming of Sebastopol. They were ordered to China in 1857, but on the way they were given orders to proceed as quickly as possible to India as the Indian Mutiny had begun. They reached Lucknow, India, on the 15th November and the same day fought with the enemy outposts. The following day the Secundra Bagh was stormed: 2000 Sepoys were killed. He fought at Cawnpore, Lucknow and Bareilly, his final action was in the storming Dilkusha Bagh.

PATTISON, John George. (reg No. 971).
Private. 50th Battalion. Canadian Infantry *
London Gazetted on the 2nd August, 1917.
Born on 8th September 1875 at Woolwich, London.
Killed in action on 2nd June 1917 at Lens, France.
Memorial on grave at La Chaudiere Military Cemetery, France.
Digest of Citation reads:
When an enemy machine gun, which had been holding up the advance of our troops and inflicting severe casualties on 10th April 1917 at Vimy Ridge, in France, Private Pattison, without regard for his own safety, ran forward, and making his way by jumping from shell-hole to shell-hole, managed to reach cover only 30 yards from the enemy machine-gun. From this point, under extremely heavy fire, he hurled bombs which killed and wounded some of the gun's crew. Private Pattison then rushed forward, overcoming and bayoneting the surviving five gunners. His action made further advance to the objective possible.
* Alberta Regiment.
Additional information:. Army No. 808887, Private Pattison was the son of Mr and Mrs Henry Alfred Patterson. He was educated at Clifton Hill School. Deptford. He emigrated to Canada in 1906 where he married Sophia Allen having four children, Ethel Mary; Henry John; Helena Margaret and George Alfred.. They lived at, 1622, West Avenue, West Mount, Calgary.
An excerpt from the letter written by it Lieutenant Thomas H Prescott to Private Pattison's father on 7th August 1917 says, "Your letter regarding your son, J. G. Pattison was sent to me for an answer, as I was his officer on 2nd June, when he was killed. It is with very great regret that I tell you this, as I have been his officer ever since he and his son joined the 137th Battalion in Calgary, and I knew him not only as the finest type of soldier but also as a friend. You are probably now aware that he has been awarded the greatest of honours, the Victoria Cross, for bravery. What a great pity he cannot be here to receive it.
"Personally I feel very badly in this matter, as we cannot afford to lose such men, but he died as he would have wished, in action, and while we were administering it a severe defeat to the enemy."

PAYNE, Keith. (reg No. 972).
Warrant Officer. Australian Army Training Team, Vietnam.
London Gazetted on 19th September 1969.
Born on 30th August 1933 at Ingham, Queensland, Australia.
Attended VC dedication at Westminster Abbey on 14th May 2003
Memorial on the Australian War Memorial, Canberra, Australia. (see previous line)
Digest of Citation reads:
In Vietnam on 24th May 1969, Warrant Officer Payne displayed outstanding courage and leadership by guiding his men to safety under the most difficult conditions after they had been attacked by the enemy in superior strength.
Warrant Officer Payne also held the United States of America's Medals, The Silver Star Award; Distinguished Service Cross; the United States Meritorious Unit Citation as well as the Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry with Bronze Star and the Vietnamese Unit Citation Cross of Gallantry with Palm


PEACHMENT, George Stanley. (reg No. 973).
Private. 2nd Battalion. King's Royal Rifle Corps.
London Gazetted on the 18th November 1915.
Born on 5th May 1897 at Parkhills, Bury, Lancashire.
Killed in action on 25th September, 1915 at Hulluch, France
Memorial on Loos Memorial, France.
Digest of Citation reads:
During the heavy fighting on the 25th September 1915, near Hulluch, France, when in order to reorganise, the front line was compelled to retire, Private Peachment saw his company Commander, Captain Dubs, lying wounded and crawled to his assistance. The German fire was intense, but although there was a shell hole close by in which a few men had taken cover, Private Peachment never once thought of saving himself. He knelt, exposed to the enemy, trying to assist his officer. Whilst he was doing this, he was wounded by a bomb. One minute later he was killed by a rifle bullet.
Additional information:. Army No. 11941 Private Peachment, being only 18 years old, was one of the youngest men in his battalion.

PEARKES, George Randolph. (reg No. 974).
Major. 5th Canadian Mounted Rifles Battalion. * Canadian Expeditionary Force.
London Gazetted on the 11th January 1918.
Born on the 26th February, 1888 at Watford, Hertfordshire.
Died on 13th May 1984 at Victoria, British Columbia.
Memorial on grave at Holy Trinity Cemetery, Victoria.
Digest of Citation reads:
Major Pearkes, although wounded in the left thigh, continued to lead his men with utmost gallantry, in spite of many obstacles. On the 30th/31st October 1917 at Passchendaele, Belgium, when at a particular stage of the attack further advancement was threatened by a strong point, an objective of the Battalion on his left, but they had failed in its capture. Major Pearkes, appreciating the situation, quickly captured and held this strong point. This enabled the advance to continue successfully forward. It was mainly due to his personality and determination that he was able to maintain his objective with the small number of men at his command, repeatedly beating back enemy counter attacks whilst both of his flanks were unprotected. His repeated reports to his commanding officer giving his appreciation of the situation made it possible for them to dispose their troops to advantage and hold the position captured.
* Quebec Regiment.
Additional information: Major-General Pearkes was made a Companion of the Order of the Bath (CB). He also held the Distinguished Service Order (DSO) and Military Cross (MC). The United States Legion of Merit
He was the General Officer Commanding the 1st Canadian Division in 1940 and in 1942-45 he was the GOC-in-C, Pacific Command, Canada. From 1957-60 he was the Minister of National Defence (Canada), the Lieutenant Governor of British Columbia from 1960-68. He was the Overseas Vice-Chairman of the VC and GC Association of 1956-68.

PEARSE, Samuel George. (reg No. 975).
Sergeant. 45th Battalion. Royal Fusiliers.
London Gazetted on 23rd October 1919.
Born on the 16th July 1897 at Penarth, Glamorganshire, Wales.
Killed in action on 29th August 1919 near Emtsa, Russia.
Memorial on grave at Archangel Allied Cemetery, Russia; Commemmorationat Brookwood Cemetery, Woking and on the Australian War Memorial, Canberra, Australia.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 29th August to the north of Emtsa, Russia, Private Pearse, cleared a way for the troops to enter an enemy battery position, by cutting away the enemy barbed-wire, all the time under extremely heavy machine gun and rifle fire. Private Pearse went on to attack a Blockhouse which was causing casualties and harassing the advance. He killed the occupants with bombs but a minute later, he was killed. It was due to his courage that the position was carried with remarkably few casualties.
Additional information:. Sergeant Pearse also held the Military Medal (MM). During the European War 1914-18 (WWI) he served a the 1st Machine-Gun Battalion, Australian Imperial Force

PEARSON, James. (reg No. 976).
Private. 86th Regiment *
London Gazetted on 28th April 1860.
Born on 2nd October 1822 at Rathdowney, Queen's County *, Ireland
Died on 23rd January 1900 in India.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 3rd April 1858 on the occasion of the storming of Jhansi, India, Private Pearson gallantly attacked a number of armed rebels, killing one and bayoneting two others. He himself was wounded in attack. He also brought into Calpee, all the time under heavy fire , Private Michael Burns who unfortunately, later died of his wounds.
* Royal Irish Rifles.
* later Leix .

PEARSON, John. (reg No. 977).
Private. 8th Hussars. *
London Gazetted on 26th January, 1859.
Born on 19th January 1825 at Leacroft, Leeds, Yorkshire.
Died on 18th April 1892 at Ontario, Canada.
Memorial on plaque in Memorial Park, Lion's Head, Ontario, Canada
Digest of Citation reads:
In a gallant charge made by a squadron of the Regiment at Gwalior, India on 17th June 1858, included Private Pearson, Captain Heneage, Sergeant Joseph Ward, and Farrier George Hollis. They were supported by the Division of the Bombay Horse Artillery and the 95th Regiment. They routed the enemy who were advancing upon a position held by Brigadier Smith. They charged through the rebel camp into two batteries, capturing and bringing back two of the enemy's guns, all the time under heavy converging fire from the fort and the town.
* King's Royal Irish.
Additional information:. Private Pearson, Captain Heneage (reg No. 560), Sergeant Ward (reg No. 1271) and Farrier Hollis (reg No. 582) were elected by the Regiment for the Victoria Cross under Rule 13 of the Royal Warrant of 29th January, 1856 .
Private Pearson later joined the 19th Hussars and became a sergeant.

PECK, Cyrus Wesley. (reg No. 978).
Lieutenant Colonel. 16th Battalion. Manitoba Regiment. * Canadian Expeditionary Force.
London Gazetted on 15th November 1918.
Born on 26th April 1871 at Hopewell Hill, New Brunswick, Canada.
Died on 27th September 1956 at Sydney, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
Memorial on grave in New Westminster Cemetery, British Columbia.
Digest of Citation reads:
For most conspicuous bravery and skill whilst leading his men, under intense enemy fire After quickly capturing the first objective progress, to a further objective, was hampered by enemy machine-gun fire from the right flank. Colonel Peck went forward and made a personal reconnaissance tour, all the time under heavy machine-gun fire and sniping across a stretch of ground which was being heavily swept by enemy fire. Returning to the Battalion, he reorganised, and then, acting on the knowledge he'd gained from his reconnaissance, pushed them forward, arranging to protect his flanks. Making his way out under the most intense artillery and machine-gun fire, he intercepted our tanks and gave them the necessary instructions to where they were to make for, thus making it possible for Canadian Infantry Battalion to push forward. He then gave this Battalion the required support. His magnificent display of courage and leadership allowed the advance to continue and contributed largely to the success of the brigade attacks.
* Canadian Scottish.
Additional information:. Lieutenant Colonel Peck also held the Distinguished Service Order (DSO) and Bar.
He was described in a newspaper cutting as, "A comfortably built, middle-aged man, in 1914, living in British Columbia, where he represented Skeena in the Canadian parliament, was Mr Cyrus Wesley Peck. The day the war broke out he enlisted, and he has just received at the hands of the King the VC he won while in command of a Canadian Highland Battalion at Vimy Ridge. Not so bad for a comfortably built, middle aged man."

PEEL, William. (reg No. 979).
Captain. Royal Navy *
London Gazette on 24th February 1857.
Born on 2nd November 1824 at London.
Died on 27th April 1858 at Cawnpore, India.
Memorials in the form of statues in Painted Hall, Greenwich Hospital; at Sandy Church, Bedfordshire; In Eden Gardens, Calcutta, India and in Dublin Ireland.
Digest of Citation reads:
On the 18th October, 1854 at Sebastopol, in the Crimea, at the greatest possible risk, to himself, Captain Peel took up a live shell with the fuse still burning which had landed amongst several powder cases, outside the magazine. He threw the shell over the parapet where it immediately burst on leaving his hands. This action saved the magazine and many lives in the immediate vicinity. On 5th November 1854, at the Battle of Inkerman, Captain Peel joined the officers of the Grenadier Guards and assisted in the defence of the Colours of that Regiment when it was hard-pressed at Sandbag Battery. Further, on the 18th June 1855, he volunteered to lead the Ladder Party at the assault on the Redan and was carrying the first ladder until he was wounded by a bullet which penetrated his left-arm. On each of these occasions he was accompanied by Midshipman Edward St John DANIEL (reg No. 300).
* Naval Brigade.
Additional information: Captain Sir William Peel was the third son of the 2nd Baronet, Sir Robert Peel and Julia, his wife, youngest daughter of General Mansue John Floyd,Bart. Captain Peel was created Knight Commander of the Bath (KCB) More to be added.
There is a considerable amount of information regarding Captain Peel in The Victoria Cross 1856-1920

PEELER, Walter. (reg No. 980).
Lance-Corporal. 3rd Pioneer Battalion. Australian Imperial Force.
London Gazetted on the 26th November, 1917.
Born on 9th August 1887 at Castlemaine, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
Died on the 23rd May, 1968 at Caulfield, Victoria, Australia.
Memorial on grave at Brighton Cemetery, Melbourne, and on the Australian War Memorial, Canberra, Australia.
Digest of Citation reads:
During the first wave of the attack at Ypres, Belgium, on the 20th September, 1917, Lance-Corporal Peeler encountered an enemy sniping party, firing on the advancing troops from a shell hole. He immediately rushed the position, accounting for nine of the enemy, clearing the way for the advance. On two further occasions, he carried out similar acts of valour, each time accounting for a number of the enemy. He was directed, during operations, to a position where an enemy machine-gun was firing at our troops. Lance-Corporal Peeler located the gun and killed its operator, the remainder of the enemy party taking refuge in a dug-out close by. They were dislodged from this position by a bomb, causing 10 of them to run out, where Lance-Corporal Peeler disposed of them. He accounted for more than 30 of the enemy setting a fine example. His action ensuring the success of the attack against a determined enemy.
Additional information:. Army No. 114 , Sergeant Peeler was also awarded the British Empire Medal (BEM). He also served in the Second World War (WWII)

PENNELL, Henry Singleton. (reg No. 981).
Lieutenant. 2nd Battalion. Derbyshire Regiment. *
London Gazetted on the 20th May, 1898.
Born on 18th June 1874 at Dawlish, Devon.
Died on 19th January 1907 at St Moritzdorf, Switzerland as the result of a toboganning accident.
Digest of Citation:
During the Tirah campaign on 20th October 1897, at the attack on the Dargai Heights, on the Indian Frontier, Captain W.E.G. Smith, of the Derbyshire Regiment, was struck down. Lieutenant Pennell ran to the officer's assistance, under a hail of bullets, making two determined attempts to carry and drag him back to cover. He only relinquished his attempts when he realised that Captain Smith was dead.
* Sherwood Foresters.
Additional information:. Captain Pennell was the son a Mr Edwin and Henrietta Pennell of Dawlish, Devonshire. Educated at Eastbourne College he joined the Derbyshire Regiment in 1893. He was promoted Lieutenant in 1896. Went to India with the Tirah Field Force (1897-98). He was also mentioned in despatches. He took part in the actions at Dargai, Sampagha Pass, Arhanga Pass , Kanka, Waran and Bazar Valley.
He saw action again during the Boer War, attached to the West Yorkshire Regiment and the Natal Field Force. He saw action in all the main operations at Colenso, Spion Kop, Vaal Krantz and Tugela culminating in the capture of Pieter's Hill. He was severely wounded. He continued on until 1900, receiving the Medal with five Clasps. He was mentioned in Despatches twice. He'd been selected for the Staff College course, after which he was posted to a Staff Appointment. He was killed in a tobogganing accident at St Moritzdorf Switzerland on 19th Jan 1907.

PERCY, The Honourable Henry Hugh Manvers. (reg No. 982).
Colonel. 3rd Battalion. Grenadier Guards.
London Gazetted on 5th May 1857.
Born on 22nd August 1817 at Cobham, Surrey.
Died on the 3rd December 1877 at London.
Memorials at St Nicholas Chapel, Westminster Abbey, and a Cross on the wall of the Falconer's Tower, Alnwick Castle, Northumberland.
Digest of Citation reads:
The Grenadier Guards were at some distance from the Sandbag Battery. Colonel Percy charged singly into the battery, followed almost immediately by the Guards. The walls and parapet of the battery were held by the Russians who kept up a continuous musketry fire. Colonel Percy, found himself with a number of men from various regiments who had charged too far at the Battle of Inkerman, in the Crimea on 5th November 1854. They were very nearly surrounded by Russians and were without ammunition. Although he was wounded, Colonel Percy, using his knowledge of the ground, extricated these men, around 50 in number, all the time under heavy fire from the Russians then in the Sandbag Battery, brought them safely to where fresh ammunition could be got, enabling them to renew the fighting.
Additional information: Lieutenant General PERCY was created a Knight Commander of the Bath (KCB). He also held the Légion d'Honneur. Served as MP for North Northumberland from 1865-68. In 1874 he was Colonel of the 89th Regiment, later becoming the Royal Irish Fusiliers.


PERIE, John. (reg No. 983).
Sapper. Royal Engineers.
London Gazetted on 24th February, 1857.
Born in August 1829 at Huntly, Aberdeenshire, Scotland.
Died on 17th September 1874 at Aberdeen, Scotland.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 18th June 1855 at Sebastopol, Crimea, Sapper Perie showed conspicuous gallantry, along with a Lieutenant Gerald Graham (reg No. 474), in leading a ladder party of sailors at the assault on the Redan. He also volunteered to go with the officer, helping him to bring in a wounded sailor who was lying in the open, even though he had received a a musket wound in the side.
Additional information:. Sapper Perie also held the Médaille Militaire of France.
Excerpt from the London Gazette,24th February 1857:
"No. 854, John Perie, Sapper, Royal Engineers. Conspicuous Valour in leading assailants with the Ladders to the storming of the Redan 18th June 1855. He was invaluable on that date, devoted conduct in rescuing a wounded man from the opened, although he himself had just been wounded by a bullet in the side"
When Lieutenant Murray of the engineers, fell mortally wounded, Lieutenant Gerald Graham took his place. He had previously sent Perie out to Murray with a message, and afterwards said how fearlessly the man disappeared into the thick of the fire and returned miraculously unharmed.
Wherever Graham exposed himself to danger, Perie was always at his side to help him. When Graham realised the hopelessness of the attempt on the Redan, he ordered the storming party back. Whilst they were sheltering in a trench, an officer in the Naval Brigade heard cries for help from a wounded sailor who was lying out in front. He asked for another volunteer to help bring the man in and Lieut. Graham was the first to cry, "I'm with you !"
"And I too," added John PERIE, even though he was suffering from a musket shot wound in his side. Fortune favoured the brave, they rescued the wounded sailor, returning with him without being hit. Both Graham and Perie were awarded the VC for the heroism shown on that day, and Sapper Perie, in addition, was also awarded the French Médaille Militaire..
He received his Victoria Cross from the hands of Queen Victoria, on the now famous Investiture Parade that took place in Hyde Park on 26th June 1857.
Sapper Perie died on the 17th September, 1874. His Victoria Cross and French War Medal were sold in London on 26th September 1911.

PETERS, Frederick Thornton. (reg No. 984).
Captain. Royal Navy.
London Gazetted on 18th May 1943.
Born on 17th September 1889 at Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada.
Killed in an air crash on 13th November 1942 off Gibraltar.
Memorial on Portsmouth Naval Memorial, Hampshire.
Digest of Citation reads:
For Valour in taking HMS Walney, into the harbour of Oran, North Africa, on 8th November 1942. This port was held by the Vichy French. Captain Peters led his force through the boom towards the jetty, all the time under fire at point-blank range from the enemy shore batteries as well as fire from a Vichy French Destroyer and a Cruiser. Although he was blinded in one eye, he was the only one of 17 officers on the bridge that survived. HMS Walney, badly disabled and on fire, managed to make it to the jetty. She sank with her Colours flying.
Additional information:. Captain Peters also held the Distinguished Service Order (DSO), the Distinguished Service Cross (DSC) and Bar. ( He won the DSO and DSC in the First World War (WW I) and a Bar to his DSC for convoy duties, in the Atlantic, during the Second World War (WWII).
During this action at Oran, Captain Peters took the Walney alongside a French warship. American Rangers pulled the two ships together with grappling hooks and then stormed the Vichy ship, firing Tommy guns. The Walney was continually hit by enemy fire, her boilers finally blew up causing her to sink. Captain Peters and another 10 survivors were taken prisoner.

PHILLIPS, Everard Aloysius Lisle. (reg No. 985).
Ensign. 11th Bengal Native Infantry.
London Gazetted on 21st October 1859, also on 15th January 1907.
Born on the 28th May 1835 at Coleorton, Leicestershire.
Killed on the Delhi streets, during the Siege of Delhi , on 18th September 1857.
Memorial at Oscott College, Birmingham.
Digest of Citation reads:
Between 30th May to 18th September 1857, at the Siege of Delhi, India, Ensign Phillips performed several gallant deeds. He was wounded on three separate occasions. Ensign Phillips, along with a small party, captured the Water Bastion. He was killed during the fighting in the streets on 18th September 1857.
Additional information:. The Victoria Cross, at this time, was not awarded posthumously. General HARMAN of the War Office informed the Financial Secretary in November 1888, that Ensign Phillips, had he survived, would have been recommended for the Victoria Cross. The award was finally Gazetted on the 15th January 1907.

PHILLIPS, Robert Edwin. (reg No. 986).
Lieutenant.* 13th Battalion. (attached 9th Service Battn). Royal Warwickshire Regiment.
London Gazetted on 8th June 1917.
Born on 11th April 1895 at Hill Top, West Bromwich, Staffordshire.
Died on 23rd September 1968 at St Veep, Lostwithiel, Cornwall.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
After his Commanding Officer, Lieutenant Colonel E Henderson had been mortally wounded whilst leading a counter attack on the 25th January 1917 at Kut-el-Amara, Mesopotamia, Lieutenant Phillips went out, under extremely heavy, concentrated fire, to his aid. With the help of a comrade, Corporal Scott, they succeeded in bringing him back to the safety of our lines. In the first instance, he had tried to run a telephone wire across the open ground, as he followed the Battalion. This became impossible when the signallers were killed. He then turned all his attention to rescuing his commanding officer, who was lying in the open.
* Also Adjutant.
Additional information:. He was the son of Alfred Phillips who lived at Hill Top, West Bromwich, Staffordshire. He was educated at the King Edward VI Grammar-School, Aston, Birmingham. One 17th March 1914 he joined the 1st/15th Company of the London Regiment. On 3rd December 1914 he was commissioned in the 9th Battalion, Royal Warwickshire Regiment. He arrived at Suvla Bay, Gallipoli, on the 6th October, 1915, where he served until the 17th November 1915, when he was wounded. His regiment moved to Mesopotamia, where he joined them, after convalescence from his wounds. Lieutenant Phillips served with his Regiment until 9th May 1918.
He was promoted Lieutenant on 10th April 1916. He was mentioned in despatches on 31st March 1917 by Lieutenant General MAUDE and again on 31st March 1918, by Lieutenant General Marshall for distinguished service in Mesopotamia
Lieutenant Colonel E E D Henderson, died shortly after he was brought back. He too was also awarded the Victoria Cross. (reg No. 557). Corporal Scott was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal (DCM).
On the 9th May 1918, Lieutenant Phillips transferred to the newly-formed Royal Air Force. His training as a pilot was interrupted in October 1918, when he went on leave and by the eventual signing of the Armistice. He left the service on 13th February 1919. He was presented with a silver casket on a visit to his old school, King Edward VI Grammar School.



PHIPPS-HORNBY, Edmund John. (Reg No. 595).
Major .'Q' Battery, Royal Horse Artillery.
London Gazetted on 26th June, 1900.
Born on 31st December, 1857 at Lordington, Emsworth, Hampshire.
Died on 13th December, 1947 at Sonning, Berkshire.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 31st March, 1900 at Korn Spruit, South Africa, two batteries of the Royal Horse Artillery were ambushed with the loss of most of the baggage column and five guns of the leading battery. When the alarm was given 'Q' Battery, commanded by Major Phipps-Hornby, went into action 1150 yards from the spruit, until the order to retire was received, when the major commanded that the guns and their limbers be run back by hand to a safe place..... a most exhausting operation over a considerable distance, but at last all but one of the guns and one limber had been moved to safety and the battery reformed.
Also awarded the Victoria Cross in this action was H H Glasock (reg No.452)., I. Lodge (reg No. 749) and C.E.H. Parker (reg No. 962).
Additional information:. Brigadier-General Phipps-Hornby was a Companion of (the Order of) the Bath (CB) and a Companion of St Michael and St George (CMG).
He saw service in World War One (WWI) from 1914-15. He was also Deputy Lieutenant of Berkshire.

PICKARD, Arthur Frederick. (reg No. 987).
Lieutenant. Royal Regiment of Artillery.
London Gazetted on the 22nd September, 1864.
Born on the 4th April 1841 at Forest Hill, Northamptonshire.
Died of consumption, aged 39 years, on 1st March 1880 at Cannes, France.
Memorial not known:
Digest of Citation reads:
During an assault on the enemy's position at Rangiriri, New Zealand, on 20th November 1863, Lieutenant Pickard, along with the Assistant Surgeon William Temple, showed gallant conduct in exposing their lives to imminent danger, in order to render assistance to the wounded, and especially to Captain Mercer, who later died, of the Royal Artillery. At a point in the crossing of the entrance to the Maori Keep, where the enemy were concentrating their fire, Lieutenant Pickard, crossed and recrossed the parapet to obtain water for the wounded, when none of the other men could be prevailed upon to perform the service. The coolness displayed by him as he traversed, exposed to heavy cross-fire was exemplary. Both Lieutenant Pickard and Assistant Surgeon Temple, under extremely trying circumstances to which they were exposed, showed great calmness throughout.
Additional information:. Colonel Pickard was created a Companion of the Order of the Bath (CB). He was Equerry to the Duke of Connaught and later made Equerry to her Majesty Queen Victoria.
Assistant Surgeon William Temple (reg No. 1206), was also awarded the Victoria Cross.

PITCHER, Ernest Herbert. (reg No. 988).
Petty Officer. Royal Navy.
London Gazetted on the 2nd November 1917.
Born on 31st December 1888 at Mullion, Cornwall.
Died on 10th February 1946 at Sherborne, Dorset.
Memorial on grave at Swanage Cemetery, Dorset and in Swanage Parish Church
Digest of Citation reads:
Petty Officer Pitcher was the gunlayer of the four-inch gun aboard HMS Dunraven, a 'Q' ship * when she was shelled by a German submarine on 8th August 1917, in the Bay of Biscay. Petty Officer Pitcher, along with the rest of the crew waited in hiding. A shell, the first of three, caused the debt charge to detonate, and the second and third shells starting a fire. They rescued some of the ammunition and kept the boxes on their knees to prevent them getting overheated and exploding. When an explosion blew up the four inch gun, the crew was blown into the air. Luckily they landed on mock railway trucks, disguised as cargo, made of canvas and wood, although one of them fell into the sea.
* A 'Q' ship was a ship, manned by the Royal Navy, disguised as a simple merchant ship.
Information regarding the event :
On 8th August 1917, HMS Dunraven, a 'Q'ship, sighted a U-boat , UC71, and because she was disguised as an unobservant merchantman the submarine did not dive for some time . The submarine eventually dived but surfaced, shortly after, dead astern of the Dunraven. The U-boat opened fire at 5000 yards. Commander Gordon Campbell sent frantic signals and made smoke. On the poop deck the two-and-half pound gun gave a fine example of poor shooting . The shelling continued for half-an-hour but failed to hit. The U-boat slowly closed the distance. Campbell took advantage of a near miss, to stop the ship. From a donkey boiler he created clouds of steam amidships and sending away the Panic party*. Then turning hard to port to bring the guns to bear. Unfortunately the U-boat, now only 1000 yards away, made three hits on the Dunraven.
The first hit exploded a depth charge, blowing Lieutenant Bonner from his hiding place. A fire was started on the deck. The remainder of the crew remained in hiding as a fire raged below, in the ammunition store.
Billowing smoke hid the UC71 as she crossed the stern. Realising that the after guns and their crews could be blown up at any time, Campbell waited for the submarine to come out of the smoke. As she came into view an explosion caused the four-inch gun and his crew to be blown into the air. Luckily their falls were broken by 'mock railway trucks', simulating cargo, made of wood and canvas. One man fell into the sea.
Realisation that this was a 'Q' ship caused the UC 71 to crash dive but not before the Dunraven managed to fire two shots.
Campbell sent away another Panic party in the hope that the U-boat would think that they were sinking. However the UC71 returned hitting her near the stern with a torpedo. The original Panic party returned and a third Panic party left on a raft. After Campbell had fired torpedoes at the U-boat and missed, the UC 71, having no torpedoes left, disappeared and was never seen again.
Additional information:
Petty Officer Pitcher was elected by ballot, for the Victoria Cross, under Rule 13 of the Royal Warrant of 29th January 1856. Lieutenant Bonner was also awarded the Victoria Cross.

PITCHER, Henry William. (reg No. 989).
Lieutenant. Bengal Staff Corps and Adjutant to 4th Punjab Infantry.
London Gazetted on 16th July 1864.
Born in 1841 in Somerset.
Died on 5th July 1875 at Dehra Ghazeekhan, Punjab, India.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
For a daring and gallant manner on 30th October 1863, Lieutenant Pitcher when he led a party of his Regiment to capture the Crag Picquet after its garrison had been driven in by the enemy, 60 of them having been killed during the desperate hand-to-hand fighting on this occasion. Because of the rock formation leading to the Crag top, it could only be approached by one or two men at a time. Lieutenant Pitcher coolly led a party of the Regiment up to the last rock, until he was stunned, by a large stone thrown by the enemy from above, causing him to be knocked down. When the Crag Picquet, having fallen into enemy once more, was attacked again, Lieutenant Pitcher displayed great gallantry , on 13th November, when he led, by several yards, another charge in an endeavour to recapture the Picquet. On this occasion, he was severely wounded and had to be carried back.

PITTS, James. (reg No. 990).
Private. 1st Battalion. Manchester Regiment.
London Gazetted on the 26th July, 1901.
Born on the 26 the February 1877 at Blackburn, Lancashire.
Died on 18th February 1955 at Blackburn, Lancashire.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
During an attack on Caesar's Camp in Natal, South Africa, on the 6th January 1900, when 16 men of 'D' Company, Manchester Regiment were defending one of the slopes of the hill, Private Pitts and Privates Scott occupied a sangar *. On their left all of our men had been shot and their positions occupied by the Boers. These two men stayed at their post, without food or water, all the time under extremely heavy fire from the enemy, for 15 hours. During this period they kept a keen lookout and exchanged their fire, even though, on their immediate left rear, the Boers occupied the sangars close by. Private Pitts and Private Scott held this position until the Boers were driven from the hill by relieving troops.
Additional information:. James Pitts became a lance-corporal in the Army Reserve. His colleague Privates Scott also received the Victoria Cross.
* Sangar (sanga): A stone breastwork around a hollow.


PLACE, Basil Charles Godfrey. (reg No. 991).
Lieutenant. Royal Navy.
London Gazetted on 22nd February 1944.
Born on 19th July 1921 at Little Malvern, Worcestershire.
Died on 27th December 1994 in London.
Memorial not known. There should be a tribute in the Ledger of VC and GC recipients in Westminster Abbey.
Digest of Citation reads:
Lieutenant Place * commanding the Midget Submarine X7, along with Lieutenant Cameron *, Commanding Midget Submarine X6, on the 22nd September, 1943, at Kaafjord, Norway, carried out a most a daring and successful attack on the German Battleship Tirpitz. Lieutenant Place found a gap in the outer net at 4am on the 22nd September. He waited for a minesweeper to come out before taking the X7 through the opening. Unfortunately the X7 ran into a torpedo net. After going full astern and flooding and blowing the tanks, they got through. At 6:40am, he sighted the Tirpitz, approximately 1700 yards away. X7 got stuck in another net and on freeing itself they broke surface, 30 yards from the Turpitz. They submerged and made contact with the Battleship, approximately 20 ft below its B Turret. They edged below, and under the keel, lined up, fore and aft, with the enemy ship. The X7, then dropped her starboard charge, after which, she went astern for 150 yards or more before dropping her second charge.
Additional information:. Lieutenant Place was created a Companion of the Order of the Bath (CB); a Commander of the Royal Victorian Order (CVO) and held the Distinguished Service Cross (DSC ). He was the eldest child, but the only son, of Charles Godfrey Morris and Anna Margaret Place, (née Stuart-Williams) of Wintercott, Little Malvern, Worcestershire.
Before the attack on the Tirpitz, Lieutenant Place married Second Officer Althea Tickler, of the WRNS in July 1943. They had a son and two daughters.
*Lieutenant Place and Lieutenant Cameron were given a joint citation for the action.
The X7's charges were set with a time delay of one hour, giving the X7 time to get away. On his escape, Lieutenant Place became entangled in one net after another, trying desperately to escape. The explosion of the charges freed the X7 and she broke surface and she was fired upon by the German Battleship. He climbed out onto the casing, waving a white sweater as a signal that he was surrendering, and ordered the crew to abandon the submarine. Water spilled over into the small submarine and she sank. One of the crew, sub-lieutenant Aitken, RNVR, made a successful escape using the DAVIS Apparatus. Lieutenant L B Whittam and Engine Room Articifer were unable to escape and were lost.
There citation was Gazetted on 22nd February 1944, whilst Lieutenant Place and Lieutenant Cameron were Prisoners of War. After the war both men were presented with the Victoria Cross at an Investiture at Buckingham Palace on 22nd June 1945 by his Majesty King George VI.

E-mail from his Wren Driver (Sally Saunders) regarding Admiral Place:
Dear Alf,
Here are some brief details of my time with the Admiral during my draft in London.
March 1968 I was given a loan draft to London as Admiral Driver.
I was stationed at HMS President.
Admiral Place had just been drafted ACR Rear Admiral in charge of Recruitment and Reserves in London.
His base was in the Old Admiralty Building. He also had a flag ship on the Thames which was HMS Discovery the ship of Scott the explorer. He often entertained on board and Discovery was the name of my cap tally and I was the only wren to wear it.
Also the reserves ships in London were moored next to Discovery but I don't think any of them are there anymore.

When I met the Admiral the first thing that struck me was how short he was. He must have been about 5' 6"
Originally the Admiral wanted to get rid of the Wren Driver and have a marine driver but after driving him for couple of months he must have liked me because I was made permanent driver to him was with him for two years. I think the turning point was when two days after meeting him he was late to a meeting of the Master Mariners ( he was a Master Mariner) on one of the liners in Southampton and we ended up flying down this duel carriageway doing something like 80 miles an hour while he was in the back changing into his uniform.
His job entailed doing many inspections of Recruiting offices and the Reserve forces all over the country and it was my job to get him there in one piece and at the right time.
We really got on well and on long trips he would often share the driving. Also as a Rear Admiral he was entitled to fly a flag on the Humber Hawk and show his stars but he always asked me to cover them up much to the surprise of his staff. It was quite funny really they would be panicking for me to get the flag on and he would come behind and tell me to take it down. We were a team!!
Each year the Reserves would go abroad to have Exercise in their Minesweepers and in 1969 they went to Gibraltar and the Admiral arranged it for me to go as well as his Driver which was great as Wren Driver didn't get to go abroad.
I think the most memorable event that happened whilst I was driving the Admiral apart from seeing Royalty and well known persons was the time in 1968 there was a big re-union of the VC's and GC's and the Admiral gave me and his car to the then Chairman Sir John Smyth. We had lunch at the Chelsea barracks where I was sat at a table with men from the Ghurkha regiment and after this all the VC's and GC's and their family's got into coaches and I led the procession through London for the reception at Buckingham Palace with the Queen.
As you can imagine this was a very exciting day for me as I actually went into the palace for tea (downstairs with all the coach drivers I might add). Afterwards Sir John Smyth thanked me and presented me with a book "The story of the George Cross" which he had signed for me and I have still got.
The admiral always involved me with his family and I often stayed at his home in Corton Denham, Somerset when we had been doing inspection in the West Country. I did meet all of his children briefly but the youngest one, Melanie, was still at school in Somerset, so she was the one I saw the most. Andrea was the eldest and I'm not sure what she did, but I believe his son Charles went on to become a Social Worker. Mrs Place was a lovely lady, very tall, who always made me feel comfortable in her presence, and whenever it was my birthday she always went out of her way to make me some homemade sweets. The point, which was so pleasing was that, they bothered.
There home in London was at Bishops Park Road, Hamersmith.
I left his service in March 1970 and went onto HMS Brawdy and I believe he left the Navy in July 1970 and went on to work for Cunard the shipping line.
I think that's about it really. I have got a photo of him which I will try to send to you.



POLLARD, Alfred Oliver. (reg No. 992).
Second Lieutenant. 1st Battalion. Honourable Artillery Company.
London Gazetted on the 8th in June 1917.
Born on 4th May 1893 at Wallington, Surrey.
Died on 5th December 1960 at Bournemouth, Hampshire.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
Owing to heavy casualties caused by enemy shellfire, the troops of various units to the left of Second Lieutenant Pollard's Battalion had become disorganised on 29th April, 1917 at the Gavrelle, France. A further enemy attack only caused further confusion and retirement, and being closely pressed by enemy forces. Realising the seriousness of the situation, Second Lieutenant Pollard rushed up to put a halt to the retirement. With only four men, he began a counter-attack with bombs, pressing it home, breaking the enemy and regaining all the ground that had been lost: and much more in addition. The enemy sustained many casualties as they retired in complete disorder. With his lack of regard for danger, he instilled every man, who saw him, with courage.
Additional information:. Second Lieutenant Pollard also held the Military Cross (MC) and Bar as well as the Distinguished Conduct Medal. (DCM) awarded for bravery near Ypres in September 1916. In 1918 he married Mary Ainsley of Trefilan, Purley.
Alfred Pollard joined the Honourable Artillery Company on 8th August 1914, going to France a month later as a Sergeant. He was given his commission in January 1916.

POLLOCK, James Dalgleish. (reg No. 993).
Corporal. 5th Battalion. Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders.
London Gazetted on 18th December, 1915.
Born on 3rd June 1890 at Tillicoultry, Clackmannanshire, Scotland.
Died on 10th May 1958 at Ballochyle, Ayrshire, Scotland.
Memorial not known.
At around midday on 27th September 1915, near the Hohenzollern Redoubt, the enemy bombers, who were superior in numbers, worked their way successfully along the 'Little Willie' trench towards the Hohenzollern Redoubt. Corporal Pollock, after obtaining permission, climbed out of the trench alone, and walking along the top coolly and without any regard for danger, forced the enemy to retire by bombing them from above. For the whole of the time he was subjected to heavy machine-gun fire but managed to delay the progress of the Germans for an hour. He was eventually wounded.
Additional information:. James Pollock eventually attained the rank of captain.

POPE, Charles. (reg No. 995).
Lieutenant. 11th Battalion. * Australian Imperial Force.
London Gazetted on 8th June 1917.
Born on 5th March 1883 at Mile End, London.
Killed in action on 15th April 1917 at Louveral, France.
Memorial on grave in Moeuvres Communal Cemetery Extension, France and on the Australian War Memorial, Canberra, Australia.
Digest of Citation reads:
Lieutenant Pope was in command of very important picquet post on the 15th April 1917 at Louveral, France, in the sector held by the 11th Battalion, having been given the orders to hold the post at all costs. A superior force of the enemy attacked and surrounded the picquet post and Lieutenant Pope realised that he was running out of ammunition and sent back for further supplies. Before these could arrive the situation changed drastically and Lieutenant Pope was observed, charging with his picquet, against a far superior enemy force. Eventually it was overpowered, but not before the lieutenant and his party had inflicted heavy losses upon the enemy. His body, along with most of his party, was found in close proximity to 80 of the enemy dead, proof indeed that they had put up a gallant resistance: furthermore Lieutenant Pope had obeyed the order to hold the position to the last.
* Western Australian


PORTEOUS, Patrick Anthony. (Reg. No.996)
Temporary Captain (later Colonel) The Royal Regiment of Artillery.
London Gazetted on 20th October 1942
Born on: 1 January 1918 at Abbottabad. North West Frontier, India.
Died on: Date Aound April/May 2001. (To be confirmed.)
Memorial at: Funtingdon Churchyard, Hampshire.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 19 August 1942 at Dieppe, France, Captain Porteous was liaison officer between two detachments whose task was to attack the heavy coast defence guns. During the initial assault Captain Porteous , with the smaller detachment was shot through the hand, but he nevertheless disarmed and killed his assailant, thereby also saving the life of a British sergeant. In the meantime the two officers of the other detachment had been killed and the Troop Sergeant-Major seriously wounded, so Captain Porteous, in the face of withering fire, dashed across open ground to take command and led the men in a successful charge against the enemy, when he was severely wounded for the second time. He continued to the final objective, however, but eventually collapsed after the last gun had been destroyed.
Additional information: He was Colonel of the Junior Leaders Regiment, Royal Artillery from 1960 to1963; was the commander of the Rheindahlen Garrison from 1966-69. He became Vice-Chairman of the Victoria Cross and George Cross Association for 1993. (More to follow)

POTTS, Frederick William Owen. (reg No. 997).
Private. 1st/1st. Berkshire Yeomanry. (Territorials).
London Gazetted on 1st October 1915.
Born on 18th December 1892 at Reading, Berkshire.
Died on the third and November 1943 at Reading, Berkshire.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
Private Potts although himself had been severely wounded in the thigh during the attack on Hill 70 on 21st August 1915, under the trenches of the Turks, he remained with Private Andrews, a severely wounded soldier from his own regiment, who was severely wounded, for more than 48 hours, even though he could, himself, have returned to safety. Attaching a shovel to the equipment of Private Andrews, and using it as a sledge, Private Potts dragged him back to the lines: which were over 600 yards away, all that time being fired at by the Turkish troops. He arrived back at the unit's trench at around 9:30pm on 23rd August 1915.
More to be added.

POULTER, Arthur. (reg No. 998).
Private. 1/4th Battalion Duke of Wellington's Regiment. *
London Gazetted on 20th June 1918.
Born on 16th December 1893 at Kilgrambridge, East Witton, North Yorkshire.
Died on 29th August 1956 at Leeds, Yorkshire.
Memorial on grave at New Wortley Cemetery, Leeds, Yorkshire.
Digest of Citation reads:
Private Poulter, who was acting as a stretcher bearer at Erquinghem, Lys, France, on 10th April 1918, carried severely wounded men, on 10 occasions, through extremely heavy artillery and machine-gun fire. Whilst he was carrying them, two of the wounded, were hit a second time. After a withdrawal over the river had been ordered, Private Poulter, in full view of the enemy, returned to carry back another wounded man, who had been left behind. He bandaged 40 wounded men, under fire from the enemy, and he was seriously wounded himself whilst attempting another rescue in the face of the enemy.
* West Riding.
Additional information:. 24066, Private POULTER was one of nine sons, all of whom, saw service in the European War (WWI).
An account of a presentation to Private Poulter states, "In the Hospital Square of the Stamford Road Military Hospital, Norbury, London, yesterday, Mr H T Kemp, K.C. Recorder of Hull, who was the chairman of the Society of Yorkshireman in London, presented, on behalf of that institution, a silver watch to Private Arthur Poulter VC. 1/4th West Riding Regiment........."

PRAKASH SINGH. (reg No. 999).
Jemadar *. 4th/13th Frontier Force Rifles. Indian Army.
London Gazetted on the 1st May 1945.
Born on 1st July 1919 at Kahna Chak Village, in the Kathua District of Kashmir, India.
Killed in action on 17th February 1945 at Kanlan Ywathit, Burma.
Memorial on Rangoon Memorial, Burma.
Digest of Citation reads:
Jemadar Prakash Singh was commanding a platoon which was taking the main weight of fierce enemy attacks at Kanlan Ywathit, Burma on the 16th/17th February 1945. He was relieved of his command when he was wounded in both ankles, however, when his second in command was also wounded, he took command once more after crawling back, directed operations and give inspiration to his men. He was wounded again in both legs, in spite of this he continued to direct the defence by dragging himself, from one place to another, by using his hands. Wounded for a third time, this time mortally, he shouted the Dogra war-cry, inspiring his company in such a manner that they rose and finally drove off the enemy.
* Lieutenant (Q G O)

Second Lieutenant. Corps of Indian Engineers. *
London Gazetted on 10th June 1941.
Born on 14th October 1918 at Bhagat Kot, Mussourie, India.
Died on 23rd May 1975 at Delhi, India.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:.
Second Lieutenant Premindra Singh Bhagat, on 31st January/1st February, 1941, after Gallabat, Abyssinia, had been captured, covered 55 miles in four days, clearing the Italian minefields. He was twice blown up in his carrier, was ambushed and had an eardrum shattered. He would not rest until the mine-clearing was completed, although there were some casualties amongst his men.
* attached to Royal Bombay Sappers and Miners.
Additional information:. Lieutenant General Premindra Singh Bhagat held the PVSM (India).

PRENDERGAST, Harry North Dalrymple.(reg. No.1001)
Lieutenant. Madras Engineers.
London Gazetted on the 21st October, 1859.
Born on 15th October 1834 at Madras, India.
Died on 24th July 1913 at Richmond, Surrey.
Memorial on grave at Richmond Cemetery, Surrey.
Digest of Citation reads:
For showing conspicuous bravery at Mundisore, India, whilst saving the life of Lieutenant G. Dew of the 14th Light Dragoons, risking his own life by attempting to cut down a Velaitee, who was covering Lieutenant Dew with his piece, only a few yards up to the rear. Lieutenant Prendergast was wounded when the piece was discharged and would also have probably been cut down if the rebel hadn't been killed by Major Orr. He distinguished himself, by his gallantry during the actions at Ratgurgh and Betwa, when he was severely wounded.
Additional information:. General Prendergast was the son of Thomas Prendergast Esquire and his wife Lucy Caroline (daughter of Martin Dalrymple Esq. of Cleland and Fordell) of the Madras Civil Service (later of Meldon Lodge, Cheltenham). He was made a Knight Grand Cross of the Bath (GCB) .
He was educated at a private school at Cheam, Brighton College and at Addiscombe. His service career began, in 1854, when he joined the Royal Engineers as a Second Lieutenant. Promoted Captain and Major in 1863. more to be added.

PRETTYJOHN, John. (reg No. 1002).
Corporal. Royal Marine Light Infantry.
London Gazetted on 24th February 1857.
Born on 11th June 1823 at Dean Prior, Ashburton, Devon.
Died on 20th January 1887 at Manchester, Lancashire.
Memorial not known except that he is buried in Manchester.
Digest of Citation reads:
For gallantry at the Battle of Inkerman, on 5th November 1854, he had been seen to shoot four Russians. Corporal Prettyjohn's Platoon went out, under Captain Hopkins, to clear some caves from which snipers were operating. During this operation, the platoon had used up most of its ammunition when it came to their notice that fresh parties of Russians were creeping, in single file, up the hillside. Corporal Prettyjohn instructed his men to collect as many stones as possible in order to use instead of ammunition. The first Russian to appear was seized by the corporal and hurled down the slope. As the others got closer they were bombarded with a hail of stones causing them to retreat.
Additional information:. In Patrick Pringle's book, Fighting Marines, he mentions a story that the men of the platoon chose Prettyjohn to receive the VC. The choice was between, according to the book, Prettyjohn or Colour Sergeant Jordan. I can find no record of this so far.


PRICE-DAVIES, Llewellyn, Alberic Emilius. (reg No. 310).
Lieutenant. King's Royal Rifle Corps.
London Gazetted on 29th November, 1901.
Born on 30th June, 1878 at Chirbury, Shropshire.
Died on 26th December, 1965 at Sonning, Berkshire.
Memorial at St Andrews Church, Sonning, Berkshire and on the King's Royal Rifle Corps memorial in Winchester Cathedral.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 17th September, 1901 at Blood River Poort, South Africa, the Boers had overwhelmed the right of the British column and some 400 of them were galloping round the flank and rear of the guns calling on the drivers to surrender them. Lieutenant Price-Davies, hearing an order to fire on the charging Boers, at once drew his revolver and dashed upon them in a desperate attempt to rescue the guns. He was immediately shot and knocked off his horse, but was not mortally wounded although he had ridden to what seemed certain death.
Additional information:. Major-General Price-Davies was created a Companion of (the Order of) the Bath, (CB)., a Companion of St Michael and St George (CMG) and also held the Distinguished Service Order (DSO).
Major General and Price-Davis had a distinguished Service career. He also served in World War One (WW I) in its entirety. From 1918-19 he was the President of the Standing Committee of Enquiry regarding PoWs. He served as ADC to King George V from 1920-30.
He was Assistant Adjutant-General of the Aldershot Command from 1920-24 after which he Commanded the 145th Infantry Brigade until 1927. From 1927-30 he was Assistant Adjutant and Quartermaster General of Gibraltar.
He was Battalion Commander OF the Home Guard, Upper Thames Patrol from 1940-45.
From 1933 to 1948 he was a Member of the Honourable Corps of Gentlemen at Arms.

PRIDE, Thomas. (reg No. 1003).
Captain of the After Guard. Royal Navy.
London Gazetted on 21st April 1865.
Born on the 29th March, 1835 at Oldbridge, Wareham, Dorset.
Died on 16th July 1893 at Parkstone, Dorset.
Memorial on grave in All Saints Churchyard, Branksome, Dorset.
Digest of Citation reads:
Thomas PRIDE, RN of HMS Euryalus was one of the two colour sergeants who survived after accompanying Midshipman D.G. Boyes when they carried the Queen's Colours into the action at Shimonoseki, Japan on the 6th September, 1864. The other colour sergeant was severely wounded but Pride and the Midshipman continued the charge in the capture of the enemy's stockade. In spite of the fierce fire they kept the flag flying, never faltering. Direct orders from a superior officer prevented the two from going forward any further.

PROBYN, Dighton MacNaughton. (reg No. 1004).
Captain. 2nd Punjab Cavalry.
London Gazetted on 18th June 1858.
Born on the 21st January 1833 at Marylebone, London.
Died on 20th June 1924 at Sandringham, Norfolk.
Memorial on grave at Kensal Green Cemetery, London and at Sandringham Church, Norfolk.
Digest a Citation reads:
During the period 1857-58, while serving in India, Captain Probyn, has been distinguished for gallantry and daring. At the Battle of Agra when his squadron charged the Rebel Infantry, he was separated from his men and surrounded by five a six Sepoys. He defended himself from their thrusts, cutting down two of his assailants before being rejoined by his own men. In another act of single combat with a Sepoy he was wounded in the wrist, he cut down the Sepoy even though the man fought desperately. On the same day, in the presence of a number of the enemy, he singled out and killed a standard bearer and captured the standard.
Additional information:. General Probyn was made a Knight Grand Cross of the Bath (GCB); a Knight Grand Cross of the Star of India (GCSI); a Knight Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order (GCVO) and the Imperial Service Order (ISO).
More to be added

PROCTER, Arthur Herbert (reg No. 1005)
Private later The Reverend) 1/5th Battalion The King's (Liverpool) Regiment.
London Gazetted on 5th August 1916.
Born on 11th August 1890 at Bootle, Lancashire.
Died on 27th January 1973 at Sheffield, Yorkshire.
Memorial at Sheffield Cathedral.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 4th June, 1916 near Ficheux, France, Private Procter noted some movement on the part of two wounded men who were lying in full view of the enemy about 75 yards in front of the trenches. He at once went out on his own initiative and although heavily fired at, ran and crawled to the two men, got them under cover of a small bank, dressed their wounds and promised that they would be rescued after dark. He left No. warm clothing and then return to the trenches, again being heavily fired at. and men were rescued at dusk.
Additional information: He served as a Chaplain with the Royal Air Force during the Second World War having been ordained in 1927.
He fought on the Somme as well as Neuve Chapelle, Festubert, Givenchy and Arras.








PROSSER, Joseph. (Reg. No. 1007)
Private 2nd Battalion 1st Regiment (becoming The Royal Scots ++++The Lothian Regiment)
London Gazetted on 24th February 1857.
Born on: 21st January 1833 at Marylebone, London.
Died on: 1869 (date unknown0 at Tipperary, Ireland.
Grave unknown.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 16 June 1855 at Sebastopol, Crimea, when on duty in the trenches, Private Prosser pursued and apprehended, (whilst exposed to enemy cross-fire), a soldier in the act of deserting to the enemy. On 11 August he left the most advanced trench and helped to carry to safety a severely wounded soldier of the 95th Regiment who was unable to move. This act was performed under very heavy fire from the enemy
Further information: His Army number was 1672 and served in the Crimean War In the VC 1856-1920 the second act was described as "This gallant and humane act"

PROWSE, George. (reg No. 1008).
Chief Petty Officer. Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve. *
London Gazetted on 30th October 1918.
Born in 1886 at either Bath or Paulton, Somerset. (records are unsure).
Killed in action on 27th September 1918 near Arleux, France.
Memorial on the Vis-en-Artois Memorial, France.
Digest of Citation reads:
During an advance on the 2nd September 1918, Chief Petty Officer Prowse and a portion of his company were disorganised by enemy machine-gun fire from a strong point. Collecting the available men together, with great coolness and bravery he led them against a machine-gun, captured it along with 28 prisoners and five machine guns. Later he established a strategic position on high ground, after leading a patrol against a strong enemy opposition. On another occasion he, single-handed, attacked an ammunition limber, killing the three men accompanying it and capturing the limber. Two days later, he covered the advance of his company with a Lewis gun section, later locating a concrete machine-gun emplacement with two machine-guns which were holding up the advance of the battalion to the right. With complete disregard for his personal safety, he rushed forward, aided by a small party, which attacked and captured these posts, killing six of the enemy and taking 13 prisoners as well as capturing the two machine guns. He was the only survivor of this attack, but by their daring and heroic action had enabled the battalion to the right to advance without being machine-gunned from the village. His magnificent example and leadership inspired them all.
* Drake Battalion, Royal Naval Division.
Additional information:. No.W2/424, Chief Petty Officer , George Prowse DCM, prior to his joining Navy, had worked as a collier at the Mountain Colliery at Gorseinon, South Wales. He was purported to be a good football player, being a member of the Gorseinon Football Club He distinguished himself many times fighting in the European War, was wounded twice and had been recommended for the Distinguished Conduct Medal.

PRYCE, Thomas Tannatt. (reg No. 1009).
Captain. 4th Battalion. Grenadier Guards.
London Gazetted on 22nd May 1918.
Born on the 17th January 1886 at the Hague, Holland.
Killed in action on 13th April 1918.(After being reported Missing)
Memorial at Ploegsteert Memorial, Belgium, and Llandysilio Church and War Memorial.
Digest of Citation reads:
After being ordered to attack a village, he led two platoons forward, moving from house house, killing some 30 of the enemy, seven of whom he accounted for personally. The following day, along with some 30 or 40 men, the remainder of his company having become casualties. Starting around 8:15am , his left flank was surrounded by the enemy and they were subjected to enfilade fire. He and his men beat off no less than four hostile attacks during the day, killing many of the enemy. Bringing up three field guns, to within 300 yards of his position, the enemy, firing over open sights, were gradually knocking in the trench. By 6:15 that evening the enemy were within 60 yards of his trench. Captain Pryce, called on his men to cheer loudly, charge the enemy and fight to the last. With the Captain in the lead they left the trench and by using their bayonets, drove the enemy back some 100 yards. The enemy approached again, 30 minutes later, in greater numbers and the captain had only 17 men left and not one round of ammunition. Determined not to surrender, he again led his men in a charge. They were last seen in a fierce hand-to-hand struggle with a superior number of the enemy. Captain Pryce, with approximately 40 men had held up an enemy battalion for over 10 hours and undoubtedly stopped the advance through the British line and had a great influence on the battle. He was reported missing on 13th April 1918 , but he was later found to have died on that date.
Additional information:. Captain Pryce was awarded the Military Cross (MC) Gazetted on 23rd December 1915. He was later awarded a Bar to his Military Cross, Gazetted on 19th July, 1916. He was married on 11th March 1908 at Ashwell, Hertfordshire, to Margaret Sybil Fordham. They had three daughters, Rosalie Doreen Margaret; Violet Rita, and Pauline Leonora Evelyn.
Military Record to be added.


PURCELL, John. (reg No.1010).
Private 9th Lancers.*
London Gazetted on 15th January 1858.
Born at Kilcommon, Oughtorard, Co. Galway, Ireland in 1814
Killed in action at Delhi, India, on 19th September 1857
Digest of Citation reads:
On th 19 June 1857 at Delhi, India during the mutiny, when a wagon of one of the batteries was blown up and the horse of Brigadier J.H. Grant CB, commander of the Cavalry Brigade was shot, Private Purcell with Private Hancock (Reg. No. 523 ) and Sowar Roopur Khan, of the 4th Irregular Cavalry, stayed with the officer until he could be dragged to safety by the sowar's horse. Private Purcell's horse was killed under him and Private Hancock was severely wounded.
* The Queen's Royal
Additional information:
Privates John Purcell and Thomas Hancock , of the 9th Lancers, served in the Indian mutiny and were both awarded the Victoria Cross for their service in that campaign.
'The guns, I am happy to say, were saved, but a wagon of Major Scott's battery was blown up. But I must not fail to mention the excellent conduct or a sower of the 4th Irregular Cavalry and two men of the 9th Lancers, Privates Thomas Hancock and John Purcell, who, when my horse was shot down, remained by me throughout. One of these men and the sower offered me their horses, and I was dragged out by the sowar's horse. Private Hancock was severely wounded and Private John Purcell's horse was killed under him. The sower's name is Roopur Khan. '
"The above is an extract to the Deputy Assistant Adjutant and General of division from Brigadier J H Grant, CB, Commanding Cavalry Brigade of the Field Force. Dated 22nd June 1857 from camp, Delhi, India. ''
Private Purcell was killed before Delhi on 19th September 1857.

PYE, Charles Colquhoun. (reg No. 1011).
Sergeant-Major. 53rd Regiment. *
London Gazetted on 24th December 1858.
Born in 1820 at Forebridge Staffordshire .
Died on 12th February 1876 at Kirkstall, Victoria, Australia.
Memorial on grave at Tower Hill Cemetery, Victoria, Australia.
Digest of Citation reads:
For steady and fearless conduct whilst under fire at Lucknow, India, on 17th November 1857 whilst bringing up fresh ammunition to the mess house, and on many other occasions when the regiment had been engaged in action.
He was elected, for the Victoria Cross, under Rule 13 of the Royal Warrant of 29th January, 1856, by the non-commissioned officers of his regiment.
* King's Shropshire Light Infantry.
Additional information:. The service career of Captain Pye was rich and varied, serving in the 40th Regiment at Maharajapore on 29th December, 1843 (Bronze Star); with the 21st Regiment, Sutlej Campaign 1845-46, in which he was involved at the Battles of Moodkee, Aliwal and Sobraon. (Medal and Clasps); the 53rd Regiment in the Punjab Campaign (1848-49); on the Peshawar frontier in 1852 against the hill tribes; in the Indian Campaign (1857-59) in action at Khujwah, the Relief of Lucknow, the battle at Cawnpore, pursuit of the Gwalior Contingent, further action at Khodagunge.. more to be added.