Rifleman (later Havildar*) 8th Gurkha Rifles, Indian Army.
London Gazetted on 27th July 1945.
Born on 30th December 1917 at Dakhani (village), Tanhu, Nepal.
No death recorded
Digest of Citation reads:
On 12/13 May 1945 at Taungdaw, Burma, Rifleman Lachhiman Gurung was manning the most forward postof his platoon which bore the brunt of an attack by at least 200 of the enemy. Twice he hurled back grenades which had fallen on his trench, but the third exploded in his right hand, blowing off his fingers, shattering his arm and severely wounding him in the face, body and right leg. His two comrades were also badly wounded, but the rifleman, now alone and disregarding his wounds, loaded and fiired his rifle with his left hand for four hours, calmly wainting for each attack which he met with fire at point-blank range.
Additional information: He had only been with his battalion for two months when he was involved at Taungdaw as a member of the 9th Platoon of C company.
87 of the enemy dead were killed by C company. 31 were dead in front of Lachhiman Gurung's position. He is reported as shouting "Come and fight. Come and fight. I will kill you." at the end of the battle, exhausted, he said, "I wanted to kill some Japanese before I Died on."
On a parade on the 19th of December 1945, he was the only living soldier to be presented with the VC by Lord Louis Mountbatten, who presented five other VCs and one GC that day, all posthumously. Lachhiman Gurung and his family, who had been specially invited, were feted by Field Marshall Wavell..

LAFONE, Alexander Malins. (reg No. 710).
Major. 1st/1st County of London Yeomanry.
London Gazetted on 18th December, 1917.
Born on 19th August 1870 at Cressfield, Waterloo, Liverpool, Lancashire.
Killed in action on 27th October, 1917 at Beersheba, Palestine.
Memorial on grave in Beersheba War Cemetery, Palestine.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 27th October 1917 at Beersheba, Palestine, for most conspicuous bravery, leadership and self-sacrifice, Major Lafone, for more than seven hours, held a position against vastly superior forces. Visibility was poor, owing to the shelling from the enemy. He beat off Cavalry charges, by the enemy, causing them many casualties. One enemy charge left 15 casualties within 20 yards of his trench. One man who had managed to reach the trench was bayonetted by Major Lafone. All of his men became casualties except three. The trench was so full of wounded that it became difficult to move about and use weapons. Major Lafone ordered those who could walk to move to a trench, slightly to the rear. They continued to maintain an heroic resistance. When eventually they became surrounded, he he stepped into the open and continued to fight until he was mortally wounded, finally he collapsed. His courage and cheerfulness set a splendid example to the men which enabled them to hold the position as ordered.
Additional information:. Major Lafone was the younger son of Henry and Lucy (née Malins) Lafone. Educated at Dulwich College, passing for Cooper's Hill. He also studied for two years at the Engineering Electrical Institute at South Kensington. He worked for 18 months at Marshall and Sons, Gainsborough.
He became assistant manager at the Jokai Tea Co., Assam (1894). In 1897 he joined his father's business at Butler's Wharf.
He became a director of several companies, finally becoming a partner in FA Roberts and Company, of Leadenhall Street
On 28th December 1899 he enlisted in the Montgomeryshire Yeomanry, seeing action in the Transvaal, South Africa. He was wounded in the right eye and returned to England on 12th December 1900. (the Queen's Medal and three clasps). On the 14th July, 1902, he was commissioned in the 1st County of Middlesex Yeomanry, being promoted to Captain 14th July, 1902, then Major 22nd August 1911. (He had previously resigned his commission of Second Lieutenant in the Hertfordshire Imperial Yeomanry, which he held from 25th April 1901 until 19th June, 1901). In the European War (WW I) he saw service with his regiment in Egypt, the Dardanelles, the Balkans and Palestine, where he was killed in action.

LAIDLAW, Daniel (reg No 711).
Piper (later Sgt Piper) 7th Battalion King's Own Scottish Borderers
London Gazetted on 18th November 1915
Born on: 26th July 1875 at Little Swinton, Berwick-on-Tweed, Northumberland.
Died on: 2nd June 1950 at Shoresdean, Berwick-on-Tweed, Northumberland
Memorial at Norham Church, Northumberland (Unmarked grave)*
Digest of Citation reads:
On 25th September 1915 near Loos and Hill 70, France, prior to an asaault on enemy trenches and during the worst of the bombardment, Piper Laidlaw, seeing that his company was shaken with the effects of gas, with complete disregard for danger, mounted the parapet and, marching up and down, played his company out of the trench. The effect of his splendid example was immediate and the company dashed to the assault. Piper Laidlaw continuewd playing his pipes even after he was wounded and until the postion was won.
Additional information.


LALA. (Reg.No 712
Lance Naik. * 41st Dogras. Indian Army.
London Gazetted on 13th May 1916.
Born on 20th February, 1882 at Parol in the Hasmipur District, Kangra, Punjab, India.
The time and place of his death and his grave are unknown.
Digest of Citation reads:
At El Orah, Mesopotamia, on 21st January 1916, Lance Naik Lala found a British officer lying close to the enemy. He dragged him to a temporary place of shelter. He had bandaged the officer's wounds, when he heard calls from his Adjutant, who was lying the open, wounded. Although the enemy was only 100 yards away, Lance Naik Lala insisted on going to his aid. He removed his own clothing placing it on the officer to keep him warm, staying with him until it was almost dark when he returned to the shelter. When it was dark he carried the first wounded officer to safety returning with a stretcher to carry back his adjutant.

Subadar* (later Subadar-Major**) 1st Battalion, 2nd Gurkha Rifles, Indian Army
London Gazetted on 15th June 1943.
Born on in February 1906 at Thant Hup (village), Baghlung in the Parbat District of Nepal.
Died on 19th October 1968 at Paklehawa in Nepal.
Memorial not yet known.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 5/6 April 1943 during the silent attack on Rass-es-Zouai, Tunisia, Subadar Lalbahadur Thapa, taking command of two sections, made his first contact with enemy at the foot of a pathway winding up a narrow cleft which was thickly studded withenemy posts. The garrison of the out-posts were all killed by the subadar and his men, by kukri or bayonet and the next machine-gun posts were dealt with similarly. This officer then continued to fight his way up the bullet-swept approaches to the crest where he and the riflemen with him killed killed four--the rest fled. Thus secured, the advance by the whole division was made possible.
Additional information: His medal was presented by King George VI in June 1943 in Tripoli. He later came to London and was, along with other Gurkhas, presented to the public who greeted them with pride.
** Major


LAMBERT, George. (reg No. 714).
Sergeant- Major. 84th Regiment *
London Gazetted on 18th June 1858.
VC Medal's Custodian is The York And Lancaster Regimental. Museum
Born on 18th December, 1819 at Markethill, County Armagh, Ireland.
Died on 10th February, 1860 at Sheffield.
Memorial on grave at Wardsend Cemetery, Sheffield.
Digest of Citation reads:
For Distinguished bravery whilst serving, in three Battles, with Havelock's Column at Oonao, Bithoor and AT the Assault and capture of Lucknow, India.
(i) On the 29th July, 1857 at Oonao, India, Sergeant-Major Lambert acted with Distinguished bravery.
(ii) At Bithoor when the rebels were driven from a strong position, using bayonets on 16th August 1857.
(iii) On the 25th of September 1857 at the passage through Lucknow, India, after its capture, to the Residency.
* York and Lancaster Regiment postop
Additional information: George Lambert was promoted to Lieutenant on 17th December, 1858. He was the Adjutant of the 84th Regiment from 12th December 1857-17th September, 1858.

LANE, Thomas. (reg No. 715).
Private. 67th Regiment *.
London Gazetted on 13th August, 1861.
Born in May 1836 at Cork, Ireland. (actual date not known).
Died on 13th April, 1889 at Kimberley, South Africa.
Memorial not known.
On 21st August 1860, during the China Campaign of 1860, at the assault on the Taku Fort, Private Thomas Lane and Lieutenant Burslem (Reg. No. 153) for distinguished gallantry in swimming the ditches of the North Taku Fort and persevering in the attempts to enlarge an opening in the wall, during the assault and before the entrance to the fort had been effected. They both eventually entered through this opening and, in doing so, were both severely wounded.
* Royal Hampshire Regiment.
Additional information:. Private Lane's gallantry his recorded in the Gazette written by Lieutenant JW Chaplin (reg No. 201). At the end of his army service he joined the Kimberley Police. He died at the age of 52.

LASCELLES, Arthur Moore. (reg No. 716).
Captain. 3rd Battalion. Durham Light Infantry. (attached to 14th Battalion).
London Gazetted on 12th October, 1918.
Born on 12th October, 1880 at London.
Died of wounds on 7th November 1918 at Fontaine, France.
Memorial on grave at Dourlers Communal Cemetery, France. At Pennal Parish Church and its War Memorial, Merionethshire, also on both the University College of North Wales and Edinburgh University War Memorials.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 3rd December, 1917 at Masnieres, France, during an extremely heavy bombardment managed to encourage his men and organise the defence until the attack was driven back, even though he was wounded. Shortly afterwards the enemy captured the trench in another attack and took several prisoners. Captain Lascelles immediately mounted the Parapet, followed by his 12 remaining men and rushing, under extremely heavy machine-gun fire, to drive back over 60 of the enemy. The enemy again attacked the trench, capturing it and Captain Lascelles, who, in spite of being wounded, managed to escape later.
More to be added.

LASSEN, Anders Frederik Emil Victor Schau. (reg No. 717).
Major. General List. Attached to Special Boat Service, No. 1 SAS Regiment.
London Gazetted on 7th September, 1945.
Born on 22nd September 1920 at Baekkeskov, South Zealand, Denmark.
Killed in action (died of wounds) at Lake Comacchio, Italy.
Memorial at grave in Argenta Gap War Cemetery, Italy. A forest was named after him in Israel. There is also a stone, to his memory, in the grounds of St Peter's Chapel, Praesto Fjiord, Denmark.
Digest of Citation reads:
At Lake Comacchio, Italy, on 8th April 1945, Major Lassen was ordered to lead a patrol in a raid on the lake's north shore. The object being to cause as many casualties and as much confusion as possible, giving the impression that a major landing was in progress.
In the face of overwhelming enemy numbers he fulfilled the mission, wiping out three positions. He refused to be evacuated when he was mortally wounded so that his men's lives would not be endangered and their withdrawal would not be impeded.
Additional information:. Major Lassen also held the Military Cross (MC) and two Bars. He was one of three Danes to be awarded the Victoria Cross.

LAUDER, David Ross. (reg No. 718).
Private. 1st/4th Battalion. Royal Scots Fusiliers.
London Gazetted on 13th January 1917.
Born on 21st January 1894 at Dalry, Scotland.
Died on 4th June 1972 at Glasgow.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 13th August, 1915 at Cape Helles, Gallipoli, Private Lauder threw a bomb which failed to clear the parapet, falling back amongst the bombing party, who were trying to retake a sap. There being no time to smother the bomb, Private Lauder immediately put his foot on it to localise the explosion. In this action he lost his foot, but it saved the remainder of the party, who escaped unhurt.
Additional information:. 7709, Private Lauder was born at Dalry, Scotland. Before joining the Army, Royal Scots Fusiliers, as a private, he worked in his home town as a Carter.
After his injury he was sent to hospital in Malta, before being returned to England. He was provided with an artificial leg to which he adapted very well. He walked with a slight limp after some practice. He was also awarded the Serbia Medal for bravery by the Serbs.
After discharge from the army he worked in a munitions factory at Parkhead, Scotland.
His action was described "as the pluckiest he'd seen in Gallipoli, a land a brave deeds," by his commanding officer.

LAUGHNAN, Thomas. (reg No. 719).
Gummer. Bengal Artillery. Indian Army.
London Gazetted on 24th February, 1858.
He was born in August 1824 (actual date unknown) at Kilmadaugh, Gort, County Galway, Ireland
Died on 23rd July 1864 at County Galway, Ireland.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
At the relief of Lucknow between the 14th to 22nd November 1857, Gunner Laughnan acted throughout with conspicuous gallantry.
He was elected under Rule 13 of the Royal warrant for the Victoria Cross. Also elected, at the same time, under Rule 13 by the Officers and Non-Commissioned Officers generally and by the Private soldiers of each Troop/Battery were, respectively: Lieutenant H.E.Harrington (Reg.No. 531); Rough Rider E. Jennings (Reg.No.638); Gunner J. Park (Reg.No.959); Gunnewr Laughnan(Reg. No. 719); Gunner H.M. McInnes (Reg.No.787)

LAURENT, Harry John. (reg No. 720).
Sergeant. 2nd Battalion. New Zealand (Rifle) Brigade. New Zealand Expeditionary Force.
London Gazetted on 15th November 1918.
Born on 15th April, 1895 at Tarata, Taranaki, New Zealand.
Died on 9th December, 1987 at Hastings, New Zealand.
He was cremated and his remains were interred in a Memorial Wall*, Servicemen's Cemetery, Hawera, Taraniki, New Zealand. Also at the Headquarters of the Dunedin RSA.
Digest of Citation reads:
During an attack,on 12th September 1918, East of Gouzeaucourt Wood, Sergeant Laurent was detailed to keep in touch with the enemy and exploit an initial success. Along with a party of 12 he located the enemy support line which was strongly held. He at once charged the position with his men, completely disorganising the enemy by the sudden onslaught. In the hand-to-hand fighting that followed he showed a great resourcefulness. He controlled and encouraged his men until, when 30 of the enemy had been killed, the remainder surrendered. In all a total of one officer and 111 other ranks were taken prisoner. The success of the venture was owed to Sergeant Laurent's gallantry and enterprise. They, themselves, suffered only four casualties.
*Wall named after Sergeant Laurent..


LAWRENCE, Brian Turner Tom. (reg No. 721).
Sergeant. 17th Lancers *
London Gazetted on 15th January 1901
Born on 9th November 1873 at Bewdley, Worcestershire.
Died on 7th June 1949 at Nakuru, Kenya.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 7th August, 1900 whilst on patrol near Essenbosch Farm, South Africa, Sergeant Lawrence and Private Hayman were attacked by a party of Boers. Private Hayman's horse was shot and he was thrown, trapping him under the horse. His shoulder was dislocated. Sergeant Lawrence, immediately came to the man's assistance and help to extricate him from under the horse. He placed him on his own horse and sent him to the picket. Taking the soldier's carbine, and using his own carmine he kept the Boer's at bay until the private was out a range. Retiring, and keeping the Boers off until assistance arrived, going for some two miles on foot.
* Duke of Cambridge's Own.
Additional information:. Lieutenant Colonel Lawrence served in the Boer War (1899-1901). As a sergeant he was decorated by King Edward VII on the 12th August,1902 in London. He became a Sergeant and Riding Master in the 18th Hussars. He was later promoted Honorary Lieutenant and later still to Captain. He saw service in the European War (1914-18) with further service in World War Two (1939-42).
From 1934-1938 he was a Military Knight of Windsor. He also attended the 1912 Olympic Games in Stockholm as a member of the English Riding Team .

LAWRENCE, Samuel Hill. (reg No. 722).
Lieutenant. 32nd Regiment *.
London Gazetted on 21st November,1859.
Born on 22nd January 1831 at Cork, Ireland.
Died on 17th June 1868 at Montevideo, Uruguay.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 7th July 1857 at Lucknow, India, Lieutenant Lawrence was the first person to mount a ladder in order to enter the window of a house held by the enemy and to discover whether or not a mine was being driven from it. His pistol was knocked from his grasp by one of the enemy while he was in tha act of carrying out this task.. Also on 26th September the Lieutenant charged, with two of his men, in advance of his company, and captured a 9-pounder gun.
* Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry.
Additional information:. Major Samuel Laurence was the Cousin of Lieutenant Thomas Cadell VC (reg No. 166).
He joined the 32nd Foot Regiment on 12th December 1847 as an Ensign, serving with the Regiment in the Punjab Campaign (1848-49). He saw service at the second siege operations before Mooltan, the storming of the city and its capture along with the surrender of the fortress; He had Medals and Clasps for serving at the surrender of the fort and garrison at Cheniste and the Battle of Gujerat;
As a Lieutenant he served between 1857-58 in the Indian Mutiny. On the 1st July 1857, during the evacuation of the Fort Muchee Bhawan he was in command of the Headquarters of the 32nd Regiment. He served in the defence of the Residency until its relief, by Lord Clyde, on 24th November. During this time he commanded the Redan battery.
His name appeared in the Army List until 1874.

LAWSON, Edward. (reg No. 723).
Private. 1st Battalion. The Gordon Highlanders.
London Gazetted on 20th May 1898.
Born on 11th April 1873 at Newcastle upon Tyne, Northumberland.
Died on 2nd July, 1955 at Walker, Northumberland.
Memorial not known:
On 20th October, 1897, during the attack on the Dargai Heights, Indian Frontier, in the Tirah Campaign, Private Lawson carried Lieutenant K. Dingwall,of the Gordon Highlanders, who was unable to move because of his wounds, out of extremely heavy fire. He then, subsequently returned and brought in Private Macmillan, although he himself had been wounded twice.
Private Larson was discharged from the army on 31st October 1902.


LEACH, Edward Pemberton. (reg No. 724).
Captain. Royal Engineers.
London Gazetted on 6th December, 1879.
Born on 2nd April, 1847 at Londonderry, Ireland.
Died on 27th April, 1913 at Caddenabbia, Lake Como, Italy.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 17th March 1879 during the Afghan War, near Maidanah, Afghanistan, Captain Leach and some men of the 45th Sikhs were covering the retirement of the Survey Escort who were carrying a mortally wounded Lieutenant Barclay, of the 45th Sikhs. Captain Leach acted with utmost gallantry by charging, with his men, a much greater number of the enemy. In the encounter he killed two or three of the enemy himself, receiving a severe wound from an Afghan knife in the left arm. His determination and gallantry, in attacking and driving back the Shinwaris from the last position, saved the whole party from annihilation.
Additional information:. General Edward Leach was created a Knight Commander of the Bath (KCB) and a Knight Commander of the Royal Victorian Order (KCVO).
From 1900-1905 he commanded the 9th Division of the Third Army Corps in Belfast. This was followed, until 1909, when he served as GOC-in-C, Scotland.
Edward Pemberton Leach was the second son of Lieutenant Colonel Sir George Archibald Leach KCB and his wife Emily (née Leigh).
He was educated at Highgate School and at the Royal Military Academy, Woolwich. He joined the Royal Engineers on 17th April 1866, serving at Chatham until October 1868. The following month he sailed for India.
He commanded a detachment of the Bengal Sappers at Rawalpindi from March 1869 until the following February. He joined the Public Works Department in Central India being appointed, in October 1871, to the Indian Survey. He served in this capacity with the: Cachar Column of the Lushai Expeditionary Force.
He went on leave to England in November 1877. When he returned, in 1878, he was Private Secretary to Sir James Caird. At the outbreak of the Second Afghan War he joined the Khyber Survey Party. It was while making a survey reconnaissance, in Shinwari country, with detachments of the Guides Cavalry and 45th Sikhs, that they were attacked by the enemy. This was where he won his Victoria Cross.

LEACH, James (reg No. 725).
Second Lieutenant. 2nd Battalion. Manchester Regiment.
London Gazetted on 22nd October, 1914.
after two attempts on 29th October 1940 near first tour France to recapture their trench the teeming get Born on 27th July 1892 at North Shields, Northumberland.
Died on 15th August 1958 at Shepherds Bush, London.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
After two attempts, on 29th October, 1914 near her Festubert, France, to recapture their trench, that had been taken by the enemy, had failed, Second Lieutenant Leach and Sergeant John Hogan (reg No. 578) and a party of 10 volunteers went to recapture it themselves. With a sudden bayonet attack they took the Germans by surprise. Then working from traverse to traverse, at close quarters and with great bravery, they gradually succeeded in repossessing the trench. They killed eight of the enemy, wounded two and made 16 prisoners.
Additional information:. Second Lieutenant Leach lived in Manchester as a boy. he joined the 1st Northamptonshire Regiment, serving in France from the outbreak of the European War (WWI). On the 1st October 1914 he was promoted to Second Lieutenant in the Manchester Regiment.

LEAK, John. (reg No. 726).
Private. 9th Battalion *. Australian Imperial Force.
London Gazetted on 9th September, 1916.
Born in 1892 at Portsmouth in Hampshire.
Died on 20th October 1972 at Adelaide, Australia.
Memorials on grave at Stirling Cemetery, Adelaide and on the Australian War Memorial, in Canberra, Australia.
Digest of Citation reads:
Private Leak was a member of a party which finally captured an enemy strong point. On the 23rd July, 1916 at Posieres, France, during one assault, the enemy's bombs were outranging our own, Private Leak, under extremely heavy fire, ran forward and threw bombs into the enemy's bombing post, and then jumping into the post killed three of them. Later, overwhelming numbers of the enemy were driving his party back, Private Leak was always the last to leave at each stage and he continued throwing bombs. His gallant action had been such, that when the reinforcements arrived, the whole trench was recaptured.
Additional information:. Private Leak was a teamster, in Queensland, before joining the Army.

For Reg No. 727 see Martin- Leake following Reg No. 841)

LEAKEY, Nigel Gray. (reg No. 728).
Sergeant. 1st/6th Battalion. King's African Rifles.
London Gazetted on 15th November 1945.
Born on 1st January 1913 in Kenya.
Killed in action on 19th May, 1941 near Colito, Abyssinia.
Remembered on East Africa Memorial, Nairobi, Kenya.
Digest of Citation reads:
Near Colito in Abyssinia, 19th May, 1941, two Allied companies had established a precarious bridgehead against strong opposition. A sudden counter-attack, by the Italians, was made with light and medium tanks, threatening to overrun the two companies of the King's African Rifles. One of the tanks advanced. from the rear, on troops who had no anti-tank weapons. In the face of withering fire from enemy machine guns, Sergeant Leakey leapt on top of the tank, wrenched open the turret and shot all the crew with the exception of the driver, whom he forced to drive into cover. Failing to get the tank's gun to fire, he charged across ground that was being raked by machine gun and shell fire from the other Italian tanks. Along with two other Askari and an African CSM he stalked the other tanks. Two tanks passed, and Sergeant Leakey clambered onto the third opened the turret and shot one of the crew, before being shot off the turret by the machine gun of a following tank. Throughout the action he displayed Valour of the highest order and his action broke up the Italian tank attack..
Additional information:. Sergeant Leakey was recommended for the Victoria Cross by men of the King's African Rifles, whose only language was Swahili and they signed the recommendation with their thumbprints. After translation to CIGC and others they approved it.
Lieutenant General Floyer-Acland, Military Secretary, didn't. Although he thought Sergeant Leakey displayed great gallantry, he regarded the action as one of being on the "spur-of-the-moment." He thought it lacked sustained courage and endurance. In other words the action had been too brief and the recommendations were ignored..
When the recommendation was resubmitted in 1945, and further evidence of his exploits were supplied,. they then knew that his courage, in fact, had been sustained.
John Laffin, in his book, "British VCs of World War Two, a Study in Heroism,". says that Floyer-Acland had been regarded as a bottleneck by his colleagues and when he was no longer Military Secretary, King George VI readily approve the Award .

LEARMONTH, Okill Massey. (reg No. 729).
Major. 2nd Battalion. Eastern Ontario Regiment. Canadian Expeditionary Force.
London Gazetted on 8th November, 1917.
Born on 22nd February 1894 at Quebec City, Canada.
Died of his wounds on 19th August 1917 near Loos, France.
Memorial on grave at Noeux-les Communal Cemetery, France.
Digest of Citation reads:
East of Loos, on 18th August 1917, during a determined counter-attack on our new position, this officer, Acting Major Learmonth MC, when his company was momentarily surprised, personally charged and disposed of the attackers. Later carrying on a tremendous fight against the advancing enemy. Under intense barrage and although mortally wounded, he continuously bombed the enemy, by standing on the parapet of the trench, and directing operations and by his actions inspiring his men with a spirit of utmost resistance. Several times he caught the enemy bombs and threw them back. When he was eventually unable to continue, because of his wounds, he refused to be carried out of the line. He continued to give instructions and invaluable advice to his junior officers. He was finally taken to a hospital where he died of his wounds the following day.
Additional information:. Major Learmonth also held the Military Cross (MC).
More to be added.

LEAROYD, Roderick Alastair Brook. (reg No. 730).
Flight-Lieutenant. 49 Squadron, Royal Air Force.
London Gazetted on 20th August, 1940.
Born on 5th February, 1913 at Folkestone, Kent.
Died on 24th January 1996 at Rustington, Sussex
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
On the night of the 12th August, 1940, Flight-Lieutenant Leroyd, was detailed with other crews, to attack a special objective, one he had attacked before, on the Dortmund-Ems Canal. Two of the other aircraft, who had already made the attack on the target, were destroyed, another two been badly hit. Nevertheless Flight Lieutenant Learoyd made his attacking run at 150 ft. The aircraft was hit repeatedly, removing large parts of the main plane. Almost blinded by Searchlights and with flak bursting all around he relentlessly pressed home the attack with great determination and skill. The aircraft being badly damaged, landing flaps inoperative, he waited until it was light enough, by flying around the home aerodrome before landing. He brought the aircraft in safely, without further damage or injuries to the crew.
Additional information:. He later was promoted to Wing Commander.

Reg No. 731 is Captain Warburton-Lee. (Follows Lt. Cdr Wanklyn (reg No. 1267).

LEET, William Knox. (reg No. 732).
Major. 1st Battalion. 13th Regiment *.
London Gazetted on 17th June, 1879.
Born on 3rd November 1833 at Dalkey, County Dublin, Ireland.
Died on 27th June, 1898 at Great Chart, Kent.
Memorial on grave at Great Chart Churchyard, Kent.
Digest of Citation reads:
For his gallant conduct on 28th March 1879, in rescuing Lieutenant A M Smith of the Frontier Light Horse of from the Zulus during a retreat from Inhlobana, Zululand. Lieutenant Smith's horse had been shot from under him and was being pursued by the Zulus. He would have been killed but for Major Leet taking him up on his horse and riding to a place of safety under heavy enemy fire.
* Prince Albert's Somerset Light Infantry..
Additional information: . Major General Leet was twice mentioned in despatches during the Indian Mutiny as a lieutenant. He served with distinction, under Lord Mark KERR, with the Battalion and as a Staff Officer to several columns. He served in South Africa in 1878 and, in 1879, in the Zulu War.


LEITCH, Peter. (reg No. 733).
Colour Sergeant Royal Engineers.
London Gazetted on 2nd June 1858.
Born in 1820 at Orwell, Kinross, Scotland.
Died or 6th December, 1892 at Fulham, London.
Memorial not known.
At Sebastopol, Crimea, on 18th June 1855, Colour Sergeant Leitch, after approaching the Redan with the leading Ladders, formed a caponniére* across the ditch, as well as a ramp, by fearlessly tearing down gabions* from the Parapet and placing and filling them until he was disabled from wounds.
*A covered passage across a ditch.
*A cylindrical wicker or metal basket. Used in early fortifications and Engineering.
Additional information:. Colour Sergeant Leitch also held the French Légion d'Honneur.

LEITH, James. (reg No. 734).
Lieutenant. 14th Light Dragoons *.
London Gazetted on 24th December, 1858.
Born on 26th May, 1826 at Glenkindie, Aberdeenshire, Scotland.
Died on 13th May, 1869 at 35, Gloucester Place, Hyde Park , London, aged 42.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
At Betwa, India, on 1st April 1858, when a Captain Need, of his regiment, was surrounded by a large number of rebel infantry, Lieutenant Leith charged alone and rescued him.
*The King's 14th Hussars.
Additional information:. Major Leith was the son of General Sir Alexander Leith KCB of Glenkindie, Aberdeenshire. He joined the 14th Light Dragoons on the 4th May, 1849, becoming a lieutenant on the 27th May, 1853.
Served in the Persian Expedition of 1857 (Medal). He took part in the suppression of the Mutiny at Aurungabad, was at the siege and capture of Dhal and was wounded in the action at Mundesore. He was also in the Battle of Gooravia and at the Relief of Neemuch.
He saw service with the Central India Field Force under Sir Hugh Rose. He was present at Rathghur during its siege and capture, and also the Relief of Saugor, the capture of Gurrakota and many more.
Further information can be Gleaned from "The Victoria Cross 1856-1920"(Hayward).

LENDRIM, William James. (reg No. 735).
Corporal. Royal Engineers.
London Gazetted on 24th February, 1857.
Born on 1st January 1830 in Ireland.
Died on 28th November, 1891 at Camberley, Surrey.
Memorial at Camberley in Surrey.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 14th February 1855 in the Crimea, Corporal Lendrim for courage and example while superintending 150 French Chasseurs in building the left attack of No. 9 battery, replaced the whole of the capsized gabions* under extremely heavy fire. On April 11th, 1855, Corporal Lendrim got on top of a magazine and extinguished sandbags which were on fire. He also made good the breach under fire.
*A cylindrical wicker or metal basket. Used in early fortifications and Engineering.
Additional information:. Sergeant-Major Lendrim also holds the Légion d'Honneur and Medal Militaire of France.

LENNOX, Wilbraham Oates. (reg No. 736).
Lieutenant. Royal Engineers.
London Gazetted on 24th February, 1857.
Born on 4th August 1830 at Molecomb House, Goodwood, Chichester, Sussex.
Died on 7th February 1897 in London.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 20th November 1854 in the Crimea, Lieutenant Lennox , with a party of 100 men, took over a trench that had just been captured from the enemy. During the night they successfully repulsed all attempts to drive them out despite abnormal exposure to attack.
Additional information:. Lieutenant General Sir Wilbraham Lennox was created a Knight Commander of the Bath (KCB).
More to add.

LENON, Edmund Henry. (reg No. 737).
Lieutenant. 67th Regiment *
London Gazetted on 13th August, 1861.
Born on 26th August, 1830 at Mortlake, Surrey.
Died on 15th April, 1893 at Lambeth, London.
His remains were cremated at Worthing. Memorials not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
Lieutenant Lenon accompanied by Lieutenant R M Rogers+ (reg No. 1078) and Private John MacDougall+ (reg No. 774) at the Taku Forts, China, on 21st August 1860, showed great gallantry by swimming the ditches and entering the North Taku Fort by- an embrasure during the assault. He was one of the first of the British troops to become established on the walls of the fort.
* the Hampshire Regiment.
+ Both serving with the 44th Regiment-- Essex Regiment.

LE PATOUREL, Herbert Wallace. (reg No. 738).
Major. 2nd Battalion. Hampshire Regiment*
London Gazetted on 9th March 1943.
Born on 20th June 1916 at Guernsey, Channel Islands.
Died on 4th September, 1979 at Chewton Mendip, Somerset.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
On the 3rd December 1942, the enemy were holding the high ground at Tebourba, Tunisia, and resisted all efforts to dislodge them. Calling for volunteers to go with him, Major Le Patourel led an attack and silenced several of the machine-gun posts. He went on alone, after all his men had become casualties, and engaged the enemy, using his pistol and throwing hand-grenades. He was taken prisoner after becoming wounded.
* Becoming Royal Hampshire Regiment
Additional information:. Brigadier Le Patourel was with the British Joint Services Mission to Washington DC from 1958-60. He served with the Ghanaian Army from 1960-61 as its Deputy Commander, which he followed by being Deputy Commander of the 43rd Divisional District until 1962. He was the Deputy Lieutenant of Avon.

LE QUESNE, Ferdinand Simeon. (reg No. 739).
Surgeon. Medical Staff *
London Gazetted on 29th October, 1889.
Born on 25th December, 1863 at Jersey, Channel Islands.
Died on 14th April, 1950 at Bristol.
Memorial on grave at Canford Cemetery, Westbury-on-Trym, Bristol.
During the Burma Expedition, on 4th May, 1889 whilst the Chin Field Force were attacking the village of Tartan, Surgeon Le Quesne remained for a period of about 10 minutes within five yards of the loopholed stockade, from where the enemy were firing. Acting with perfect coolness and self-possession, he dressed up the wounds on Second Lieutenant Michel, of the Norfolk Regiment, who died shortly afterwards. He was himself severely wounded later whilst dressing the wounds of another officer.
* Royal Army Medical Corps.
Additional information:. A he was the son of Lieutenant-Colonel Giffard N Le Quesne of the Royal Jersey Artillery and his wife Augusta (daughter of Admiral Charles Simeon). He was educated in the Channel Isles and the King's College Hospital, London. He was Mentioned in Despatches during the Burma Expedition of 1889.
He also received the Medal and Clasp. Serving with the Chin Lushai Field Force in 1890 and with the Wuntho Field Force in 1891, getting Clasps for each.
In 1898 he was promoted Major .
He served in the South African War getting the Queen's Medal, Cape Colony, 1901-2, and three clasps.
In 1906 he was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel, retiring in December 1918. He enjoyed shooting and tennis.


LESTER, Frank (Reg,No. 740).
Private 10th Battalion The Lancashire Fusiliers
London Gazetted on 14th Dec 1918
Born on: 18th February 1896 at Huyton, Liverpool..
Died on: 12th October 1918 at Neuvilly, France.
Memorials at: Neuvilly Communal Cemetery and a Plaque in the Public Library at Irby, Cheshire.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 12 October 1918 at Neuvilly, France, during the clearing of the village, Private Lester, with a party of seven men and an officer, was the first to enter a house from the back door and shot two Germans who were inside. As the party started to leave the house they found the street was swept by fire and an enemy sniper was covering the exit. Private Lester volunteered to tacle the sniper, which he did, but in killing him was himself mortally wounded.
Additional Information: Corporal Lester was Born on at West View, Huyton the son of Market Gardener, John Lester and his wife Ellen. His education was at Hoylake National School. He joined the 10th South Lancashire Regiment in March 1916. He was promoted to Sergeant Instructor and trained soldiers at Prees Heath and Kimmel Park. Transferred to the 10th Lancashire Fusiliers he went to France. It wasn't too long before he was promoted to Corporal after being wounded on the 21st March. After spending a short time in Hospital at Ronen he was posted back to England. He served for a time at Cromer before being drafted back to France the following September. He was killed by a sniper at Neuvilly, France on the 12th of October 1918, just one month before the Armistice was signed.
He was reported as having been a very cheerful and bright soldier. The officer who was with him, at the time of the action, called on Coorporal Lester's parents and told them of his gallantry on that morning and that he had forwarded details of the action to his Colonel. By his action that day he had saved at least six lives.
A quote from one of Frank Lester's friends "He was an old Boy's Brigade boy, who was very bright and cheerful, helped his father with his market garden, and was a true soldier."
That day, the12th of October 1918, the 10th Battalion won one Victoria Cross, two Military Crosses, a Distinguished Conduct Medal and three Military Medals. (More to Add.)


LEWIS, Hubert William (Reg. No.741)
Private 11th Battalion The Welch Regiment
London Gazetted on 15th December 1916
Born on: 1st May 1896 at Milford Haven, Pembrokeshire
Died on: 22nd February 1977 at Milford Haven, Pembrokeshire.
Memorials at: Milford Cemetery; Milford Haven Museum, Milford Haven and TheWar Memorial, Haverford West.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 22/23 October 1916 at Macukova, Salonica, when on duty during a raid, Private Lewis was twice wounded on reaching the enemy trenches, but refused to be attended to. He was wounded again while searching enemy dug-outs and again refused assistance. At this point three of the enemy approached and Preivate Lewis immediately attacked them single-handed, capturing all three. Later, during the retirement he went to the assistance of a wounded man and, under heavy shell and rifle fire, brought him back safely, after which he collapsed.

Additional information: He was also awarded the French Medaille Militaire. He also served in the Milford Haven Home Guard in World War II.

LEWIS Leonard Allan, (Reg. No. 742)
Lance Corporal 6th Battalion The Northamptonshire Regiment.
London Gazetted on 31st January 1919.
Born on: 28th February 1895 at Brilley, Nr. Whitney-on-Wye, Herefordshire.
Died on: 21st September 1918 near Lampire, France.
Memorials at: The Vis-en Artois Memorial, France; Whitney-onWye and Brilley, Nr.Whitney-on- Wye, Herefordshire.
Citation reads;
On 18 Seprember 1918 at Rossnoy, near Lempire, France, Lance-Corporal Lewis was in command of a section on the right of the attacking line, held up by intense machine-gun fire. He saw that two guns were enfilading the line and crawled forward alone, successfully bombed the guns and by rifle fire made the whole team surrender. On 21September he rushed his company through the enemy barrage, but was killed while getting his men under cover from heavy machine-gun fire.


LIDDELL, Ian Oswald. (reg No. 743).
Captain. 5th Battalion. Coldstream Guards.
London Gazetted on 7th June 1945.
VC Medal's Custodian is the Guards Regimental HQ.
Born on 19th October 1919 at Shanghai, China.
Died on 21st April 1945. near Rothernburg, Germany (of wounds.)
Memorial on grave in Becklingen Commonwealth War Graves Cemetery, Saltau, Germany there are also memorials in Maunton Church, Chepstow and St Thomas's Church, Shirenewton Monmouthshire and in the Guards Chapel, Wellington Barracks, London.
Digest of Citation reads:
On the 3rd April 1945, in Germany, Captain Liddle was commanding a company of the Coldstream Guards whose objective was to, capture intact, the bridge over the River Ems.near Lingen. On the far bank of the river the enemy had a strong point, manned by 150 infantry men and five guns, three of 88 mm calibre and two of 20 mm, all of which covered the bridge. The bridge had been prepared for demolition using two 500lbs bombs which were clearly visible. Captain Liddell ran forward alone, scaling the 10 ft-high roadblock, his intention being the neutralising of the charges. He crossed the whole length of the bridge under extremely heavy fire, which became more intense as the Germans realised what his objective was. After disconnecting the charges on the far side he re-crossed the bridge, cutting the wires on the near side. All of the time he created a very easy target as he consecutively cut the wires. He then saw that there were also charges underneath the bridge and without further thought, for his own safety, went on to disconnect these. His objective completed, he climbed up onto the road block and signalled his platoon to advance.
Additional information:. Captain Liddell, in a later action, was mortally wounded.

LIDDELL, John Aiden. (reg No. 744).
Captain. 3rd Battalion. Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, also the Royal Flying Corps.
London Gazetted on 23rd August, 1915.
Born on 3rd August, 1888 at Benwell Hall, Newcastle on Tyne, Northumberland.
Died on 31st August 1915 at La Panne, Flanders.
Memorials at Basingstoke Old Cemetery, Hampshire also the church at Sherfield on Lodden and at St Joseph's Church in Pickering, Yorkshire.
Digest of Citation reads:
Whilst flying on a reconnaissance mission over Ostend, Bruges and Ghent on 31st July 1915, Captain Liddell was severely wounded in his right thigh. He lapsed into unconsciousness, temporarily, but managed by a great effort to recover enough to gain control of his aircraft after it had dropped 3000 ft. Although being fired on, he successfully completed his run and brought his aircraft back to his own lines half an hour after he'd been wounded. The difficult problems that this officer faced in saving the aircraft and the life of his observer cannot be readily expressed, with the control wheel, throttle and one of the undercarriage struts smashed made it seems incredible that he could have completed such a task.
Additional information:. He died a month after his injury when it was thought that he might recover. His wound turned septic and it was decided to amputate his leg. Unfortunately he was never recover from the operation.
Captain Liddell, who also held the Military Cross, was the eldest son of John and Emily Catherine (née Berry) Liddell of Sherfield Manor, Basingstoke, Hampshire. His mother Emily, was the second daughter of Major Henry A Berry of the Cameronians Highlanders.
Education was at Mrs Wares Preparatory School at Frognal Hall, Hampshire. He attended Stonyhurst from 1900-1908 where he was known as 'Oozy' Liddell because of his fondness for messing about with engines and chemicals. He then went on to Balliol College, Oxford where he distinguished himself.
More to add.

LINDSAY, Robert James. (reg No. 745).
Captain. Scots Fusilier Guards.
London Gazetted on 24th February, 1857.
Born on 17th April 1832 at Balcarres, Fife, Scotland. (Victoria Cross 1856-1920 records date as 16th April).
Died on 10th June 1901 at Lockinge, Berkshire.
Memorial not known:
Digest of Citation reads:
At the Battle of Alma, in the Crimea, on 20th September 1854, when the form of the line of the Regiment was disordered, Captain Lindsay, Adjutant Drummond and a group of other officers stood firm with the Colours. They rallied a party of Non-Commissioned officers and men around them and held their ground against overwhelming odds until the enemy retired on seeing the battalion coming up the hill. .
On November 5th at Inkerman, Crimea at a most trying moment, Captain LINDSAY, with a few men, charged a superior party of Russians, causing them to retreat and he ran one of them through the body himself.
Additional information:. Brigadier General Lindsay was made a Knight Commander of the Bath (KCB).
More to add.


LINTON, John Wallace. (reg No. 746).
Commander. Royal Navy.
London Gazetted on 25th May 1943.
Born on 15th October 1905 at Malpas, near Newport, Monmouthshire.
Died on 23rd March, 1943 in HM Submarine Turbulent, sunk in Maddalina Harbour, Italy.
Memorials on Portsmouth Naval Memorial, Hampshire and Newport, Monmouthshire.
Digest of Citation reads:
Commander John Wallace Linton DSO, DSC, RN who, from the outbreak of war in 1939 to 23rd March 1943 was in command of HM Submarines. During this time his ship, HM Submarine Turbulent, inflicted great losses on the enemy. He sank one Cruiser, one U-boat and 28 supply ships, making a total of 100,000 tons in all. He also destroyed three trains by gunfire. He spent 254 days at sea, spending half of that time submerged. His ship had been hunted 13 times having 250 depth charges dropped around her.
Additional information: Commander Linton also held the Distinguished Service Order (DSO) and the Distinguished Service Cross. (DSC)


LISTER, Joseph. (reg No. 747).
Sergeant. 1st Battalion. Lancashire Fusiliers.
London Gazetted on 26th November, 1917.
Born on 19th October, 1886 at Higher Broughton, Salford, Lancashire.
Died on 19th January 1963 at Reddish, Stockport, Cheshire.
Memorial on grave at Willow Grove Cemetery, Reddish, Stockport.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 9th October 1917 at a place East of Ypres, Belgium, seeing that machine-gun fire, coming from the direction of two pillboxes, was holding up the advance of his company, Sergeant Lister ran ahead of his men and found the gun firing from a shell-hole in front of the pillbox. He shot two of the Gunners causing the rest to surrender. Entering the pillbox he ordered the occupants to surrender. They all complied, with the exception of one man whom Sergeant Lister shot. This caused about 100 others, further to the rear, to come from the shelter of the shell holes and surrender.

LLOYD, Owen Edward Pennefather. (reg No. 748).
Surgeon Major. Army Medical Service *.
London Gazetted on 2nd January 1894.
Born on 1st January 1854 at County Roscommon, Ireland.
Died on 5th July 1941 at St Leonards on Sea, Sussex.
Memorial on grave at Kensal Green Cemetery, London.
Digest of Citation reads:
On the 6th January 1893, Surgeon Lloyd was in the Kachin Expedition of 1892-93 being present at the attack on Fort Sima by Kinsach. When he heard that the Commanding Officer, Captain Morton had been wounded he ran out to assist him under extremely close and heavy fire, being accompanied by a Subadar Matab Singh of the Indian Army. After sending the Subadar for assistance. Major Lloyd remained with the wounded officer until he returned with five men who were serving with the Magwe Battalion, Military Police. With his assistance they carried Captain Morton back to the fort where he died a few minutes later. The enemy were within 20 yards, keeping a very heavy fire, killing three men of the picket and Bugler, Purna Singh.*
* Royal Army Medical Corps.
* this man was shot while supporting Captain Morgan after him being wounded.
Additional information:. Sir Owen Lloyd was a Knight Commander of the Bath (KCB). He was the son of Major Pennefather Lloyd of 59th Regiment. Bob he was educated at a Fermoy College in Cork, Ireland and at Queen's University, Cork. He was a member of the Royal Irish University and had degrees, L.R.C.S; L.R.C.P.; and L.M., of Edinburgh. He joined the Army, having a career in the Army Medical Service.
He married Florence the daughter of Captain and Lady Louisa Morgan of Bridestown House County Cork, having a son and a daughter.

LODGE, Isaac. (reg No. 749).
Gunner. Royal Horse Artillery.
London Gazetted on 26th June, 1900.
Born on 6th May 1866 at Great Canfield, near Dunmow in Essex.
Died on 13th June 1923 at Hyde Park, London.
Memorial not known.
At Korn Spruit, South Africa, two batteries of the Royal Horse Artillery lost most of the baggage and five guns belonging to the leading battery when it was ambushed on 31st March 1900. Q battery went into action 1150 yards from the spruit, as soon as the alarm was given, until the order for them to retire was received. Major Phipps-Hornby, in command the battery, ordered all the guns and limbers, taken back by hand to a safer place. This operation was extremely tiring and Gunner Lodge *and others including, Sergeant Parker (reg No. 962) and Driver Glasock (reg No. 452), worked extremely hard and when all but one of the guns and one limber had been moved to safety the battery was reformed.
* The Victoria Crosses, to the above, were elected by the Regiment under Rule 13.

LOOSEMORE, Arnold. (reg No. 750).
Private. 8th Battalion Duke of Wellington's Regiment *
London Gazetted on 14th September, 1917.
Born on 7th June 1896 at Sheffield, Yorkshire.
Died on 11th April 1924 at Sheffield, Yorkshire
There is a cross in the churchyard at Eccleshall, Sheffield.
Digest of Citation reads:.
On 11th August 1917 to the south of Langemarck, Belgium, during an attack on a strongly held enemy position his platoon was held up by heavy machine-gun fire. Crawling through a partially cut wire, Private Looosemore, dragged his Lewis gun behind him. He then, single-handed, dealt with a strong party of the enemy, killing approximately 20. His Lewis gun was destroyed almost immediately, and he was rushed by three of the enemy but he managed to shoot them with his revolver. Later, after shooting several enemy snipers, he returned to his original post carrying a wounded soldier under heavy fire.
Additional information:. Sergeant Loosemore was also awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal (DCM).

LORD, David Samuel Anthony. (reg No. 751).
Flight-Lieutenant. Royal Air Force 271 Squadron.
London Gazetted on 13th November 1945.
Born on 18th October 1913 at Cork, Ireland.
Killed on 19th September, 1944 when his aircraft crashed in flames.
Memorials at grave in the Arnhem War Cemetery, Holland.
Digest of Citation reads:
Whilst flying his aircraft, a Dakota, which had been detailed to drop supplies at Arnhem, Holland, during the afternoon of the 19th September, 1944. The first Airborne Division had been encircled by the enemy in a small area, surrounded by enemy anti-aircraft guns. Aircrews were warned that they would meet severe enemy aircraft fire over the dropping zone, where they were to fly at 900 ft to ensure accurate drops. The starboard wing of Flight Lieutenant Lord,s aircraft had been hit twice and the starboard engine set on fire. Ensuring that his crew were all right and the dropping zone was close he decided to complete the mission as the troops on the ground were desperately short of supplies.
He dropped to 900 ft, where he was exposed to intense enemy fire. He kept the aircraft on a straight course while supplies were dropped. The run completed he was informed they still had two containers left. Realising they were still in danger from the starboard wing, he circled the area rejoining the line of aircraft and making another run to drop the remaining supplies. This action took around eight minutes, all the time under intense fire. Flight-Lieutenant Lord then ordered his crew to abandon aircraft, they were now at 500 ft A few seconds later, the wing collapsed and the aircraft crashed in flames, killing Flight Lieutenant Lord.
Additional information:. Flight Lieutenant Lord also held the Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC). He is the only Transport Command pilots to be awarded the Victoria Cross. His grave is close by those of his other two crewmen.The only survivor of the aircraft was the Navigator, Pilot Officer Harry King, whose report, delayed because he was a prisoner-of-war, told the story of that flight on his return to England. From this report Flight-Lieutenant Lord was recommended for the Victoria Cross.

LOUDOUN-SHAND, Stewart Walker. (reg No. 1128).
Major. 10th Battalion. Yorkshire Regiment.
London Gazetted on 9th September 1916.
Born on 8th October 1879 in Ceylon.
Killed in action on 1st July 1916 at Fricourt, France.
Memorial long grave at Norfolk Cemetery, France.
Digest of Citation reads:
Major Loudoun-Shand's company was met by a very heavy machine-gun fire as they attempted to climb over the parapet to attack the enemy trenches. This held them up temporarily. The major, unhesitatingly, leapt on to the Parapet, helping his men over and continuously encouraging their efforts until he was mortally wounded. In spite of this, he insisted on being able to encourage the men by having him self propped up at the side of the trench. He died shortly after.

LOWERSON, Albert David. (reg No. 752).
Sergeant. 21st Battalion, * Australian Imperial Force.
London Gazetted on 14th December, 1918.
VC Medal's Custodian is the Australian War Memorial, Canberra, Australia.
Born on 2nd August 1896 at Myrtleford, Bogong, Victoria, Australia.
Died on 15th December 1945 at Myrtleford, Bogong, Victoria, Australia.
Memorials at grave in Myrtleford Cemetery, Victoria and on the Australian War Memorial, Canberra, Australia.
Digest of Citation reads:.
An enemy strong point, manned by 12 machine guns, held up an attacking party on the 1st September 1918 at Mont St Quentin, France. Sergeant Lowerson, taking seven men, attacked the flanks of the post, rushed the strong point and captured it, along with the 12 guns and 50 of the enemy. During the attack he was severely wounded in his right thigh, but until the position had been consolidated he refused to leave the line.


LUCAS, Charles Davis. (reg No. 753).
Mate. Royal Navy.
London Gazetted on 24th February, 1857.
VC Medal's custodian is the National Maritime Museum at Greenwich.
Born on 19th February, 1834 at Drumargole, Armagh, Ireland.
Died on 7th August, 1914 at Great Culverden, Kent.
Memorial on grave at St Lawrence's Church, Mereworth, Kent.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 21st June, 1854 in the Baltic, HMS Hecla, with two other ships, was bombarding Bomarsund, a fort in the Aland Islands. The fire was returned from the shore, and at the height of the action a live shell landed on the Hecla's upper deck, with its fuse still hissing. All hands were ordered to fling themselves flat on the deck, but Mr Lucas with great presence of mind ran forward and hurled the shell into the sea, where it exploded with a tremendous roar before it hit the water. Thanks to Mr Lucas's action no one was killed or seriously wounded.
Additional information:. Mr Lucas was later to become a Rear-Admiral. He was the first person, since the inception of the Victoria Cross on 29th January 1856, to perform an act of gallantry and be awarded the prestigious medal.
As a Brigadier-General in 1873-83, he commanded the Ballachulish Corps in Scotland.


LUCAS, John. (reg No. 754).
Colour Sergeant 40th Regiment. *
London Gazetted on 17th July 1861.
Born in 1827 at Clashgonny, Bagnalstown, Carlow, Ireland.
Died on 29th February 1892 at Dublin, Ireland.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 18th March 1861 in New Zealand, Colour Sergeant LUCAS acted as a senior NCO to a party of the 40th Regiment working as skirmishers right of No. 7 Redoubt, near the Huirangai Bush. It was around 4 o'clock, in the afternoon, when they were suddenly ambushed. An accurate and heavy fire came from the bush and the high ground. Three of the party were wounded, two of them mortally. Assistance was called for to have the wounded moved. It had only just arrived when one of the men fell and Lieutenant Rees was wounded at the same time. Under an extremely heavy fire, from the rebels, only 30 yards away, Colour Sergeant LUCAS ran to the assistance of this officer, and sent one man with him to the rear. Taking the arms of the wounded and dead into his charge, he maintained the position until support troops came under the command of Lieutenants Gibson and Whelan.
*South Lancashire Regiment.

LUKE, Frederick. (reg No. 755).
Driver. Royal Field Artillery.
London Gazetted on 25th November, 1914.
Born on 29th September 1895 at West Tytherley, near Romsey, Hampshire.
Died on 11th March 1983 at Glasgow.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 26th August 1914 at Le Cateau, France, when Captain REYNOLDS (reg No. 1040) of the 37th battery was trying to save two guns which had been recaptured. Driver Luke and Driver Drain (reg No. 348) volunteered to help save the guns, with the enemy only 100 yards away. They were,all the time, under extremely heavy fire but they managed to save one of the guns.
Additional information:. In World War Two, Sergeant Frederick Luke served with the Royal Air Force Regiment. All three men were awarded the Victoria Cross. (See individual citations).

LUMLEY, Charles. (reg No. 756).
Captain. 97th Regiment *.
London Gazetted on 24th February, 1857.
Born in 1824 at Forres, Morayshire.
Died on 17th October 1858 at Brecon, Wales.
Memorial on grave in Brecon Cathedral Churchyard, Wales.
Digest of Citation reads:
At the assault on the Redan, in the Crimea, on the 8th September 1855, Captain LUMLEY was one of the first inside the work. Three Russian gunners, who were reloading their field piece, attacked him immediately. He shot two of them with his revolver, but a stone that had been thrown stunned him for a moment. On his recovery, he drew his sword and he was severely wounded, by a ball in the mouth, whilst in the act cheering his men on.
* Queen's Own Royal West Kent Regiment.
Additional information:. He was presented with the Victoria Cross at the first Investiture on Hyde Park on 26th June 1857.
At the time the action he was a Brevet Major, being promoted to Major on the 4th December, 1857. It was, as a Major, unattached, on 17th October 1858, that he died, aged 34.

LUMSDEN, Frederick William. (reg No. 757).
Major. Royal Marine Artillery.
London Gazetted on 8th June 1917.
VC Medal's Custodian is the Royal Marine museum, Eastney Barracks, Southsea, Hants.
Born on 14th December, 1872 at Fyzabad, India.
Died on 4th June 1918 at Blairville, near Arras, France.
Memorial on grave at Berles Military Cemetery, France. Monument at Eastney Barracks (Royal Marine Museum). Digest of Citation reads:.
On the 3rd/4th April 1917, at Francilly, France, 6 enemy field guns having been captured, but it was necessary to leave them at the dug-in positions. They were 300 yards in advance of the positions held by our own troops. The captured guns were kept under very heavy fire by the enemy. Major Lumsden undertook the duty of bringing the guns back to our lines. He led four artillery teams and a party of Infantry through the hostile barrage to carry out the work. One of the teams suffered casualties, so he left the other three teams in a covered position, then led the infantry through heavy rifle and machine gun fire to the guns. With an inspired energy and example he succeeded in sending back two of the teams with guns, personally going through the barrage with the teams to the moving of the third gun.
Returning to the guns, he awaited further teams,and with these,succeeded in attaching two out of the three guns that remained , all of the time under heavy rifle fire. They then removed the guns to a safe position.
The enemy attacked in considerable strength, and blew up the breach of the remaining gone. Major Lumsden then returned to drive off the enemy, getting the team to tow away the last gun.
Additional information:. Brigadier General Lumsden was a Companion of the Order of the Bath (CB); held the Distinguished Service Order (DSO) and three Bars There is a monument to Major Lumsden in front of the Royal Marine Museum at Eastney Barracks, Southsea, Hampshire.
More to be added.

LYALL, Graham Thomson. (reg No. 758).
Lieutenant. 102nd Battalion. 2nd Central Ontario Regiment Canadian Expeditionary Force.
London Gazetted on 14th December, 1918.
Born on 8th March 1892 in Manchester, Lancashire.
Died on 28th November 1941 at Mersah Matru, Egypt. (killed in action).
Memorial on grave at Halfaya Sallum War Cemetery, Egypt.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 27th September, 1918, north of Canbrai, France, Lieutenant Lyall led his platoon in the capture of an enemy strong point, including 13 prisoners, a field gun and four machine-guns. Later he led his men once more against another strong point, rushing forward alone and capturing the position single-handed, on this occasion taking 45 prisoners and five machine guns. Another 47 prisoners were captured in his final objective along with another five machine guns. Near Blecourt, France, on the 1st October 1918 the capture of a strongly defended position yielded 60 prisoners and 17 machine-guns. During all of these operations, once the objective had been attained, Lieutenant Lyle, still under heavy fire, tended to the wounded



LYELL, Lord, Charles Anthony. (reg No. 759).
Captain. 1st Battalion. Scots Guards.
London Gazetted on 12th August 1943.
Born on 14th June 1913 at Cadogan Gardens, London.
Killed in action on 27th April 1943 at Di Bou Arara, Tunisia.
Memorial on grave at Massicault War Cemetery, Tunisia.
Digest of Citation reads:.
Between the 22nd and 27th April 1943, Captain The Lord Lyell commanded his company near Di Bou Arara, in Tunisia. With great gallantry and exceptional leadership he led his men down a slope to repel a German counter-attack whilst under extremely heavy mortar fire. He led his company again, under heavy fire, on 23rd April to capture and consolidate the high point, holding this point through a period of heavy shelling, heat and lack of water. It was during this time that he kept up the morale of his men and their fighting spirit threw his cheerful energy. Using the field telephone he was able to direct artillery fire on to enemy tanks and positions. On the evening of the 27th April, 1943, being held up in the foothills, Captain Lord Lyell assembled the only available men, a sergeant, Lance-Corporal and at two guardsmen and led then in an attack on the post which was comprised of an 88 millimetre gun and a heavy machine gun firing from individual pits. Well in advance of his party, he placed a grenade neatly into the Machine-Gun pit killing the crew. His own Sergeant was killed and the two guardsmen wounded. Giving Lord Lyell covering fire, the
Lance-Corporal allowed Lord Lyell to run forward towards the 88 mm gun pit. He had acted so swiftly, that he had time to kill some of them with the bayonet, before being overpowered and killed. The remainder of the enemy crew left and both of the guns were silenced.

LYNN, John. (reg No. 760).
Private. 2nd Battalion. Lancashire Regiment.
London Gazetted on 29th June 1915.
Born in 1887 at Forest Hill, Essex.
Died of gas poisoning on 3rd May 1915 at St Julienne, Ypres, Belgium.
Memorial on grave at Grootebeek British Cemetery, Belgium.
Digest of Citation reads:
The Germans were advancing behind a wave of suffocating gas on the 2nd May 1915 near Ypres in Belgium, Private Lynn, although severely affected by the deadly fumes, managed a to use his machine gun to great effect against the enemy. When he was unable to see them he placed the machine gun on a Parapet enabling him a more effective field of fire, checking any further advance by the enemy. His gallantry had a great effect on his comrades. He died the following day in agony from the effects of gas poisoning.
More to be added.

LYONS, John. (reg No. 761).
Private. 19th Regiment *.
London Gazetted on 24th February 1857.
Born in 1823 at Carlow, Ireland.
Died on 20th April 1867 at Naas, County Kildare, Ireland.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
Private LYONS, on 10th June 1855, saved many of his comrades lives when he picked up a live shell which had fallen in a trench amongst the occupying troops, and throwing it over the parapet.
* Yorkshire Regiment (Alexandra Prince of Wales' Own).
Additional information:. Corporal LYONS also held the Légion d'Honneur of France.

LYSONS, Henry. (reg No. 762).
Lieutenant. 2nd Battalion. The Cameronians *.
London Gazetted on 5th April 1882.
Born on 30th July 1858 at Morden, Surrey.
Died on the 24th July, 1907 at London.
Memorial on grave in St Peter's Churchyard, Rodmarton, Cirencester, Gloucestershire.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 28th March 1879 during the Zulu War in South Africa, Lieutenant Lysons, during the assault on the Inhlobane Mountain: Sir Evelyn Wood ordered that some Zulus be dislodged from a position, in some natural caves , where they were causing large losses. A delay occurred in the carrying out of this order so Captain Ronald Campbell of the Coldstream Guards, along with Lieutenant Lysons and Private Fowler ran forward with determination, advanced over a mass of fallen boulders, through walls of rock which lead to a cave where the Zulus lay hidden. As it was impossible for two men to walk side-by-side, they had to advance in single file with Captain Campbell leading. He was killed at the mouth of the cave. Lieutenant Lysons and Private Fowler dashed into the cave, which had subterranean passages leading off, and fired into the chasm below, succeeding in driving the enemy from the stronghold.
* Scottish Rifles.
Additional information:. Colonel LYONS was also a Companion of the Order of the Bath. He was a Colonel of the 1st Bedfordshire Regiment.
He was the son of Sir Daniel Lysons, who fought in the Crimea. Henry Lysons were educated at Wellington College. He joined the 19th Light Infantry in 1878, was ADC to Sir Evelyn Wood VC in the Zulu War. He fought at Zungen Nek and the Inhlobane Mountains and took part in the Battles of Kambula and Ulundi
He married Vanda, the daughter of C.E. Trffry of Place, Cornwall.
From 1884-85 he served in the Sudan with the Egyptian Army, getting the Medal, clasp and Bronze Star.


LYSTER, Harry Hammon. (reg No. 763).
Lieutenant. 72nd Bengal Native Infantry.
London Gazetted on 21st October, 1859.
Born on the 24th December, 1830 at Black Rock, County Dublin, Ireland.
Died on the 1st February 1922 in London.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
At Calpee, India, on the 23rd May, 1858, Lieutenant Lyster in a lone charge broke the skirmishing square of the rebels who were retreating, killing two or three Sepoys in the action.
Additional information:. Lieutenant General Lyster was a Companion of the Order of the Bath (CB). He was the uncle of Major General Hamilton Lyster REED VC (reg.No1031).
more to be added.