GABY, Alfred Edward. (reg No. 436).
Lieutenant. 28th Battalion, (Western Australia) Australian Imperial Force.
London Gazetted on 30th October 1918.
Born on 25th January, 1892 at Springfield, Tasmania.
Died on 11th August, 1918 at Villers-Bretonneux, France (killed in action).
Memorial at Heath Cemetery, Harbonnieres, France and on the Australian War Memorial, Canberra, Australia.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 8th August, 1918 at Villers-Bretonneux, France, when the advance was checked by a large force of the enemy about 40 yards beyond the wire, Lieutenant Gaby found a gap and approached the strong point under heavy machine gun and rifle fire. He emptied his revolver into the garrison, drove the crews from their guns and captured 50 prisoners and four machine-guns. Three days later, while leading his men during an attack, he was killed.

GAJE GHALE.(Reg.No.437)
Havildar* (later Hon. Captain) 2nd Battalion 5th Gurkha Rifles, Indian Army
London Gazetted on 30th September 1943
Born on 1st July 1922 at Borpak, a village in the Gorkha District of Nepal.
No record of death.
Digest of Citation reads:
During the period 24/27th May 1943 in the Chin Hills, Burma, Havildar Gaje Ghale was in charge of a platoon of young soldiers engaged in attacking a strong Japanese position, Wounded in the arm, chest and leg he nevertheless continued to lead assault after assault, encouraging his men by shouting the Gurkha's battle-cry. Spurred on by the irresistable will of their leader, the platoon stormed and captured the position which the havildar then held and consolidated under heavy fire, refusing to go to the Regimental Aid Post until ordered to do so.
*Havildar = Sergeant.

GANJU LAMA. (Reg.No.438)
Rifleman (later Hon. Captain.) 1st Battalion 7th Gurkha Rifles Indian Army
London Gazetted on 7th September 1944
Born on 7th July 1922 at Samgmo Busty, Sikkim.
No record of death.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 12 June 1944 at Ninthoukhong, Burma, 'B' company was attempting to stem the enemy's advance when it came under heavy machine-gun and tank machine-gun fire. Rifleman Ganju Lama, with complete disregard for his own safety, took his Piat gun and crawling forward succeeded in bringing the gun into action within 30 yards of the enemy tanks, knocking out two of them. Despite a broken wrist and two other serious wounds to his right and left hands he then moved forward and engaged the tank crew who were trying to escape. Not until he had accounted for all of them did he consent to have his wounds dressed.
Additional information: Also awarded the Military Medal. He was PD; He was Honorary Life Aide de Camp to the President of India as well as being the overseas VC and GC Association Chairman from 1991 to the present day.

GARDINER, George. (reg No. 439).
Sergeant. 57th Regiment (Middlesex Regiment, ( Duke of Cambridge's Own).
London Gazetted on 2nd June 1858.
Born on in 1821 at Gelwallen, Warrenpoint, County Down, Ireland.
Died on 17th November 1891 at a Lifford, County Donegal, Ireland.
Memorial on grave at Lifford Cemetery, County Donegal, Ireland.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 22nd March, 1855 at Sebastopol, Crimea, Sergeant Gardiner acted with great gallantry upon the occasion of a sortie by the enemy, in having rallied the covering parties which had been driven in by the Russians, thus regaining the trenches. On 18th June during the attack on the Redan he himself remained and encouraged others to remain in the holes made by the explosions of the shells, and from whence they were able to keep up a continuous fire until their ammunition was exhausted, and the enemy cleared away from the Parapet.
Additional information:. Colour-Sergeant Gardiner also held the Distinguished Conduct Medal. (DCM).

GARDNER, Philip John. (reg No. 440).
Captain. Royal Tank Regiment, RAC.
London Gazetted on 10th February, 1942.
Born on 25th December 1914 at Sydenham, London.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 23rd November, 1941 at Tobruk, Libya, Captain Gardner took two tanks to the rescue of two armoured cars of the King's Dragoon Guards, which were out of action and under heavy attack. Whilst one tank gave covering fire the captain dismounted from the other, hitched a tow rope to one of the cars, then lifted into it an officer, both of whose legs had been blown off. The tow rope broke, so Captain Gardner returned to the armoured car, but was immediately wounded in the arm and leg. Despite this he managed to transfer the wounded man to the second tank and returned to British lines through intense shellfire.
Additional information:. Captain Gardner also held the Military Cross.(MC).
Observers of Captain Gardner's action on the battlefield were confident that this bravery, in saving the life of the wounded man, was worthy of the Decoration of the Victoria Cross.

GARDNER, William. (reg No. 441).
Colour-Sergeant. 42nd Regiment.*
London Gazetted on 23rd August, 1858.
Born on 3rd March, 1821 at Nemphlar, Lanarkshire, Scotland.
Died on 24th October, 1897 at Bothwell, Lanarkshire, Scotland.
Memorial on grave at Bothwell Park Cemetery, Lanarkshire, Scotland.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 1st May, 1858 at Bareilly, India, Colour-Sergeant Gardner saved the life of Lieutenant Cameron commanding officer who, during the fighting at Bareilly, had been knocked from his horse, when three fanatics rushed to attack him. Colour Sergeant Gardner ran out and promptly bayoneted two of them and was in the act of attacking the third when he was shot down and killed by another member of his Regiment.
* Black Watch .
Additional information: Sergeant-Major Gardner also held the MSM.
The above record came through a letter from Captain McPherson of the 42nd Regiment to Lieutenant Col Cameron, the Commanding Officer of the 42nd.(Who's life Gardner saved)

GARFORTH, Charles Ernest. (reg No. 442)
Corporal. 15th Hussars (The King's).
London Gazetted on 16th November, 1914.
Born on 23rd October, 1891 at Willesden Green, London.
Died on 1st July 1973 at Beeston, Nottingham.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 23rd August, 1914 at Harmingnies, France, Corporal Garforth volunteered to cut wire under fire, which enables his squadron to escape. On 2nd September when under constant fire, he extricated a sergeant who was lying under his dead horse, and carried him to safety. The next day, when another sergeant had lost his horse in a similar way, Corporal Garforth drew off the enemy fire and enabled the sergeant to get away.

GARLAND, Donald Edward. (reg No. 443).
Flying Officer. 12 Squadron, Royal Air Force.
London Gazetted on 11th June 1940.
Born on 20th June 1918 at Ballinacor, County Wicklow, Ireland.
Died on 12th May, 1940 at Maastricht, Holland. (killed in action).
Memorial at Heverlee War Cemetery, Louvain, Belgium.
VCs Medal's Custodian is the RAF Museum, Hendon, London.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 12th May, 1940 over the Albert Canal, Belgium, one bridge in particular was being used by the invading army, with protection from fighter aircraft, anti-aircraft and machine guns. The RAF was ordered to demolish this vital bridge, and five Fairey Battle bombers were dispatched with Flying Officer Garland leading the attack. They met an inferno of anti-aircraft fire, but the mission was accomplished, due to the expert leadership of Flying Officer Garland and the coolness and resource of his Navigator *. Only one bomber managed to get back to base, the leading aircraft and three others did not return.
* T. Gray. (reg No. 484).


GARVIN, Stephen. (reg No.444).
Colour-Sergeant 1st Battalion 60th Rifles ( The King's Royal Rifle Corps.)
London Gazetted on 20th June 1860.
Born on in 1826(Actual date not known)at Cashel, Co Tipperary, Ireland.
Died on 23rd November 1874 at Chesterton, Oxfordshire.
Grave not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 23 June 1857 at Delhi, India, Colour Sergeant Garvin volunteered to lead a small party of men under heavy fire to the 'Sammy House' in order to dilodge a number of the enemy who were keeping up a destructive fire on the advanced battery of heavy guns. This action was successful. Colour Sergeant Garvin was also commended for gallant conduct throughout the operations before Delhi.
Further information: It is very likely that his name will be on the memorial to the KRRC at Winchester Cathedral.

GEARY, Benjamin Handley. (reg No. 445).
Second Lieutenant. 4th Battalion, East Surrey Regiment. (attached to 1st Battalion).
London Gazetted on 15th October, 1915.
Born on 29th June 1891 at Marylebone, London.
Died on 26th May 1976 at Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, Canada.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 20th and 21st April 1915 on Hill 60 near Ypres, Belgium, Second Lieutenant Geary led his men across exposed open ground swept by fierce enemy fire to join survivors of the Bedfordshire Regiment in a crater at the top of the hill, which she held against artillery and bomb attacks during the evening and night. Each attack was repulsed mainly owing to the fine example and personal gallantry of Second Lieutenant Geary. He deliberately expose himself to enemy fire in order to see by the light of flares the whereabouts of the enemy. He was severely wounded early on 21st April.
Additional information:. Major Geary, in 1926, served as Chaplain to the Forces. During the Second World War he served with the Canadian Army.

GEE, Robert. (reg No. 446).
Captain. 2nd Battalion, Royal Fusiliers.
London Gazetted on 11th January 1918.
Born on 7th May 1876 at Leicester.
Died on 2nd August 1960 at Perth, Western Australia.
Memorial on the Fountain at War Veterans House, Perth, Western Australia.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 30th November 1917 at Masnieres and Les Rues Vertes, France, an attack by the enemy captured Brigade Headquarters and a munitions dump. Captain Gee, finding himself a prisoner, managed to escape and organised a party of the brigade staff with which he attacked the enemy, closely followed by two companies of Infantry. He cleared the locality and established a defensive flank, then finding an enemy machine gun still in action, with a revolver in each hand, he went forward and captured the gun, killing eight of the crew. He was wounded, but would not have his wound dressed until the defence was organised.
Additional information:. Captain Gee also held the Military Cross (MC).

GIAN SINGH. (reg No. 447).
Naik * 15th Punjab Regiment, Indian Army.
London Gazetted on 22nd May, 1945.
Born on 5th October 1920 at Shapur, Jullundur, Punjab.
Died on 6th October 1996 at Jullundur, Punjab.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 2nd March, 1945 on the road between Kamye and Myingyan, Burma, where the Japanese were strongly positioned, Naik Gian Singh who was in charge of the leading section of his platoon, went on alone firing his Tommy gun, and rushed enemy foxholes. In spite of being wounded in the arm he went on, hurling grenades. He attacked and killed the crew of a cleverly concealed anti-tank gun, and then led his men down a lane clearing all enemy positions. He went on to leading the section until the action had been satisfactorily completed.
* Corporal
Additional information:. Naik Gian Singh also held the PVSM of India.


GIBSON, Guy Penrose. (Reg.No. 448)
Wing Commander 617 Squadron Royal Air Force
London Gazetted on 28th May 1943
Born on12th August 1918 at Simla, India.
Died on 9th September 1944 near Bergen-op-Zoom, Holland
Buried in Steenbergen-en-Kruisland Roman Catholic Church.
VCs Medal's Custodian is the RAF Museum, Hendon, London.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 16/17 May 1943 over Germany, Wing Commander Gibson led the raid on the Mohne Dam, descending to within a few feet of the water and taking the full brunt of the enemy defences. He delivered his attack with great accuracy and afterwards circled very low for 30 minutes, drawing the enemy fire on himself in order to leave as free a run as possible to the following aircraft. He then led the remainder of his force to the Eder Dam where with complete disregard for his own safety he repeated his tactics and once again drew the enemy fire so that the attack could be successfully developed.
Additional information: 19 Lancasters took part in the raid. Only eight returned. Gibson had, apart from the VC, the DSO and Bar, DFC and Bar and The American Legion of Merit.
Wing Commander Gibson had made raids on his so called 'rest nights'. He made a single handed attack on Tirpitz, the German battleship lying in Wilhelmshaven.
He was only 25 when he led the raid on the dams. He begged 'Bomber Harris' for 'one last sortie' and it did indeed turn out to be his last. His final words, were to his accompanying aircraft crews by radio, "Nice work chaps, now beat it home." His Mosquito crashed in flames. His body was never identified until the end of the war and he was buried with honours at Steenbergen-en-Kruisland, Holland.

GIFFORD The Lord Edric Frederick (Reg. No. 449)
Lieutenant (later Major) 2nd Battn. 24th Regiment.(later South Wales Borderers)
Date of Gazette 28th March 1874.
Born on 5th July at Ropley, Hampshire..
Died on 5th June 1911 at Chichester, Sussex.
Memorials at Bosham Church and Bosham Burial Ground, Sussex; Harrow School and Salisbury Cathedral, Rhodesia.
.Additional Informaton: Uncle of Captain J.F.P. Butler; Colonial Secretary for Western Australia and Senior Member Legislative Council 1880-83; Colonial Secretary for Gibralter 1883-88.
Digest of Citation reads:
: During the 1873-74 Ashanti Campaign, Lieutenant Lord Gifford was in charge of Scouts after the Army had crossed the Prah, and he daily took his life in his hands, performing his dangerous duties. He ferreted out the enemy's intentions, discovered their positions and took numerous prisoners. His courage was particularly conspicuous at the taking of Becquah, into which he penetrated with his scouts before the troops carried it.

Born on Edric Frederick Gifford on the 5th July 1849, he was the eldest son of the 2nd Baron Gifford, Robert Francis and his wife the Honourable Frederica Charlotte Fitzhardinge, eldest daughter of the 1st Baron Fitzhardinge. After being educated at Harrow, he joined the Army in 1869.
In 1872, the same year that he succeeded his father as the 3rd Baron Gifford, he became a lieutenant in the 63rd Regiment. The following year he transferred to the 24th Regiment, later to become the South Wales Borderers.
After the Army had crossed the Prah, in the Ashanti Wars, he was put in charge of Scouts, where he and his men showed great courage and devotion to duty. They made daily reconnaissances into enemy territory seeking intelligence on their positions and intentions.
With no other men with him he captured several prisoners. He was put forward by Sir Garnet Wolsely for his conspicuous gallantry on his penetration of Becqah, with his scouts, before the troops actually took it For these actions he was awarded the Victoria Cross and was personally presented with it by Her Majesty Queen Victoria, in April 1874, at a review in Windsor Park.
He was promoted to Captain, in 1876, in the 57th Regiment and three years later, in 1879, he was in Africa as the Zulu war was coming to an end. They had been searching for the Zulu King, Cetshwayo and had trailed him for fifteen days, ending in the Ngome forest. Here, in a small insignificant kraal, the chief had taken refuge.
Cetshwayo had led the attack on the British at Isandhlwana and massacred them. The Commander in Chief, Lord Chelmsford, was away on a reconnaissance expedition at the time. Whilst he surveyed the disastrous damage at the battle site another attack was taking place at a small Swedish mission known as Rorke's Drift against a small body of British troops under the command of Lieutenants Chard and Bromhead. Eleven Victoria Crosses were won that Day.
As Gifford's men were exhausted, he decided to wait for nightfall before entering the kraal to capture the warrior. As they rested more troops arrived under the command of Major Marter. He decided to march straight into the hideout and catch Cetshwayo, which he did. The proud Chief was dishevelled and weary, his thighs sore, from continuous travelling trying to avoid capture. He gave up without a struggle.
Lord Gifford was promoted to Brevet Major in the 1st Battalion, The Middlesex Regiment in 1880. After this, he served as Colonial Secretary for Western Australia and Senior Member of the Legislative Council from 1880-83 and as Colonial Secretary for Gibralter from 1883-88.
Lord Gifford Died on the 5th of June 1911 in Chichester, Sussex. He was given full military honours for his funeral. The path to Bosham Church was lined with Boy Scouts and ‘The Last Post' was sounded by a bugler from the Royal Sussex Regiment. He was buried in the little graveyard a short way from the church.
He is remembered by his school, Harrow, where his name is on a memorial. A Plaque, to his memory, is on the wall inside the picturesque village church at Bosham and his grave has a stone laying above.
Footnote. The grave was damaged by the storm in 1987 when a tree fell nearby.. Workmen, burning the tree set the fire too close to Lord Gifford's grave causing the stone to split and crumble away at the edges.

GILL, Albert. (reg No. 450).
Sergeant. 1st Battalion, King's Royal Rifle Corps.
London Gazetted on 26th October, 1916.
Born on 8th September 1879 at Birmingham.
Died on 27th July 1916 at Delville Wood, France
Memorials at Delville Wood Cemetery, France and on King's Royal Rifle Corps Memorial, Winchester Cathedral.
On 27th July 1916 at Delville Wood, France, the enemy made a very strong counter-attack on the right flank of the Battalion and rushed the bombing post after killing all the company bombers. Sergeant Gill rallied the remnants of his platoon, none of whom were skilled bombers, and reorganised his defences. Soon afterwards the enemy nearly surrounded his men and started sniping at about 20 yards range. Although it was almost certain death, Sergeant Gill stood boldly up in order to direct the fire of his men. He was killed almost at once, but his gallant action held up the enemy advance.

GILL, Peter. (Reg No. 451).
Sergeant-Major. Loodiana Regiment.
London Gazetted on 23rd August 1858.
Born on in September 1831 at St Paul's, Dublin.
Died on 26th July, 1868 at Moror, Gwalior, India.
Memorial on plaque in Christ Church CP Colony, Moror, Gwalior, MP, India.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 4th June, 1857 at the Benares, India, Sergeant-Major Gill volunteered, with another sergeant major and a private * to rescue a paymaster and his family from their bungalow and take them to the safety of the barracks. During the same evening he saved the life of a quartermaster sergeant by cutting off the head of the sepoy who had just bayoneted him. He is also said to have twice saved the life of a major who was being attacked by sepoys.
* M. Rosamund (reg No. 1082) and John Kirk (reg No. 700).
Additional information:. Sergeant Major Gill volunteered along with sergeant-major Rosamund of the 37th Regiment, Bengal Light Infantry to bring in Captain Brown, Paymaster, and his family, from a detached bungalow in. He saved the life of a quartermaster sergeant a of the 25th Regiment, Bengal Light Infantry. On the same night, it is said, that armed only with a sergeant's sword he faced a guard of 27 men. It is also said that he twice saved the life of Major Barrett, of the 27th Regiment, Bengal Light Infantry when he was being attacked by sepoys on his own regiment.


GLASOCK, Horace Henry. (reg No. 452).
Driver. 'Q ' Battery, Royal Horse Artillery.
London Gazetted on 26th June, 1900.
Born on 16th October, 1880 at Islington, London.
Died on 13th February, 1920 in South Africa.
Memorial at grave in Maitland Cemetery, Cape Town, South Africa.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 31st March 1900 at Korn Spruit, South Africa, two batteries of the Royal Horse Artillery were ambushed with the loss of most of the baggage column and five guns of the leading battery. When the alarm was given 'Q' battery went into action 1150 yards from the spruit, until the order to retire was received, when the major * Commanding the battery ordered the guns and their limbers to be run back by hand to a safe place. This most exhausting co-operation was carried out by, among others, Driver Glasock, a sergeant* and a Gunner * and when at last all but one of the guns and one limber had been moved to safety, the battery was reformed.
* Along with Driver Glasock three other Victoria Crosses were awarded by ballot. See also E J Hornby (reg No. 595) C.E.H. Parker (reg No 962 ) and I. Lodge (reg No. 749)



William (later GOATE)(reg. No 453)
Lance Corporal 9th Lancers (Became The Queen's Royal).
London Gazetted on 24th December 1858

VC Medal's Custodian is 9th/12 Lancers Museum, The Strand, DERBY.
Born on: 12th Jan 1836 at Long Stratton, Norfolk.
Died on: 24th October 1901 at Jarrow, County Durham.
Memorial at grave in Highland Rd., Cemetery, Portsmouth.
VCs Medal's Custodian is the 9th/12th Lancers Museum.
Citation reads
On 6th March 1858 at Lucknow, India, Lance-Corporal Goat dismounted in the presence of the enemy in order to take up the body of a major, which he then attempted to take off the field, but was forced to relinquish as he was surrounded by hostile cavalry. He did not, however give up, but went a second time under heavy fire and recovered the body.
Additional information: He was later promoted to Corporal. The major, whose body was recovered was named Smyth of the 2nd Dragoon Guards. This was mentioned in the Despatch from Major-General Sir James Hope Grant KCB, dated 8th April 1858.
His Indian Mutiny medal and his Victoria Cross were sold in London seven months (May, 1902)after his death for £85.



GOBAR SING NEGI. (reg No. 454).
Riflemen. 2nd/39th Garhwal Rifles, Indian Army.
London Gazetted on 28th April, 1915.
Born on October 1893 at Manjaur,Takti State,Garwhal, India.
Died on 10th March, 1915 at Neuve Chapelle, France. (killed in action).
Memorial at Neuve Chapelle Memorial, France.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 10th March, 1915 at Neuve Chapelle, France, during an attack on the German position Rifleman Gobar Sing Negi was one of a bayonet party with bombs who entered their main trench, and was the first man to go around each traverse, driving back the enemy until they were eventually forced to surrender. He was killed during this engagement.

GOBIND SINGH. (reg No. 455).
Lance-Dafadar* 28th Light Cavalry, and attached to 2nd Lancers, Indian Army.
London Gazetted on 11th January 1918.
Born on 7th December, 1887 at Damoe,(a village), Jodhpur, India.
Died on 9th December, 1942 at Nagaur, Rajputana, India.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 1st December, 1917 east of Peizieres, France, Lance-Dafadar Gobind Singh three times volunteered to carry messages between the Regiment and Brigade Headquarters, a distance of 1 1/2 miles over open ground which was under heavy fire from the enemy. He succeeded each time in delivering the message, although when each occasion his horse was shot and he was compelled to finish the journey on foot.
* Lance-Sergeant.

GODLEY, Sidney Frank. (reg No. 456).
Private. 4th Battalion, Royal Fusiliers.
London Gazetted on 25th November, 1914.
Born on 14th August, 1889 at East Grinstead, Sussex.
Died on 29th June 1957 at Epping, Essex.
Memorial on grave at Loughton Cemetery, Loughton, and on plaque on Nimy Bridge, Mons.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 23rd August 1914 at Mons, Belgium, Private Godley took over a machine gun on Nimy Bridge when the Lieutenant * in charge of the section had been mortally wounded. Private Godley held the enemy from the bridge single handed for two hours under very heavy fire and was wounded twice. His gallant action covered the retreat of his comrades, but he was eventually taken prisoner. His final act and was to destroy the gun and throw the pieces into the canal.
* M.J.Dease. (reg No. 320)
Additional information: . He was the first private, in the European War (WW I ) to be awarded the Victoria Cross. In 1938 Sidney Godley was presented with a gold medal specially struck by the people of Mons, Belgium.
It is believed that Private Godley was the soldier on whom Bruce Bairnsfather based his creation,"Old Bill," the famous 'Great War' cartoon character.

GOOD, Herman James. (reg No. 457).
Corporal. 13th Battalion, Quebec Regiment (Royal Highlanders of Canada).
London Gazetted on 27th September, 1918.
Born on 29th November, 1887 at South Bathurst, New Brunswick, Canada.
Died on 18th April 1969 at Bathurst. New Brunswick, Canada.
Memorial on grave at St Albans cemetery, Bathurst, New Brunswick.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 8th August, 1918 at Hangard Wood, France, when his company was held up by heavy fire from three machine guns, Corporal Good dashed forward alone, killing several of the garrison and capturing the remainder. Later on, the corporal, while alone, encountered a battery of 5.9 inch guns which were in action at the time. Collecting three men of his section he charge the battery under point-blank fire and captured the entire crew of three guns.

GOODFELLOW, Charles Augustus. (reg No. 458).
Lieutenant. Bombay Engineers.
London Gazetted on 16th April, 1863.
Born on 27th November, 1836 in Essex.
Died on 1st September, 1915 at Leamington, Warwickshire.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 6th October, 1859 during an attack on the Fort of Beyt, India, a soldier was shot under the walls in a sharp fire of matchlock. Lieutenant Goodfellow carried away the body of the man who was then dead, but whom he had at first thought was only wounded.
Additional information:. Lieutenant General Goodfellow was also a Companion (of the Order) of the Bath. (CB) .

GOODLAKE, Gerald Littlehales. (reg No. 459).
Major. Coldstream Guards.
London Gazetted on 24th February, 1857
VC Medal's Custodian is the Guards Regimental HQ..
Born on 14th May 1832 at Wadley, Berkshire.
Died on 5th April 1890 at Denham, Middlesex.
Memorial on grave at Harefield Churchyard, Middlesex.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 28th October, 1854 at Inkerman, Crimea, Major Goodlake was in command of a party of sharpshooters which held Windmill Ravine against a much larger force of the enemy, killing 38, including one officer, and taking three prisoners. He also showed conspicuous gallantry on a later occasion when his sharpshooters surprised a picquet and seized the knapsacks and rifles of the enemy.
Additional information:. Lieutenant General Goodlake also held the Légion d'Honneur of France.

GORDON, Bernard Sidney. (reg No. 460).
Lance-Corporal. 41st Battalion (Queensland), Australian Imperial Force.
London Gazetted on 26th December, 1918.
Born on 16th August, 1891 at Launceston, Tasmania.
Died on 19th October, 1963 at Launceston, Tasmania.
Memorial on Australian War Memorial, Canberra, Australia.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 26/27th August, 1918 east of Bray, France, after leading his section through heavy shellfire, Lance-Corporal Gordon, single-handed, attacked an enemy machine-gun, killed the gunner and captured the post, which contained an officer and 10 men. He then cleared more trenches and captured a further 51 prisoners, including one officer and six machine-guns.
Additional information:. Lance-Corporal Gordon also held the Military Medal (MM).

GORDON, James Heather. (reg No. 461).
Private. 2nd/31st Battalion, (Queensland and Victoria) Australian Military Forces.
London Gazetted on 28th October, 1941.
Born on 7th March, 1909 at Rockingham, Western Australia.
Died on 24th July, 1986 at Perth, Western Australia.
Memorial on Australian War Memorial, Canberra, Australia.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 10th July, 1941 at Djezzine, Syria, Private Gordon's company was held up by intense machine-gun and grenade fire, but on his own initiative, he crept forward alone and succeeded in getting close to the machine gun post. He then charged it and killed the four machine-gunners. His action completely demoralised the enemy in this sector and the company advanced and took the position.

GORDON, William Eagleson . (reg No. 462).
Captain. 1st Battalion, Gordon Highlanders.
London Gazetted on 28th September, 1900.
Born on 4th May 1866 at Bridge of Allan, Stirling Shire, Scotland.
Died on 10th March 1941 in London.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 11th July, 1900 near Krugersdorp, South Africa, a party of men had succeeded in dragging an artillery waggon under cover when its horses were unable to do so, because of heavy and accurate firing by the enemy. Captain Gordon then went out alone to the nearest gun under heavy fire and then having fastened a drag rope to the gun, he called for volunteers to come and help. While the gun was being moved, however, a captain * and three men were hit, and to save further casualties, Captain Gordon ordered the remainder of the party to take cover, and having seen them wounded safely away, he himself retired.
* D.R. Younger. (reg No. 1349).
Additional information:. Colonel Gordon was also a Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE).

GORDON, William James. (reg No. 463).
Lance-Corporal. West Indian Regiment.
London Gazetted on 9th December 1892.
Born on 19th May, 1864 in Jamaica, West Indies.
Died on 15th August, 1922 in Jamaica, West Indies.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 13th March, 1892 at Toniataba, West Africa, the major who was in command of the troops was superintending a party of 12 men who were trying, with a heavy beam, to break down the south gate of the town. Suddenly a number of musket-muzzles appeared through a double row of loopholes, some of them being only two or three-yards from the major's back and before he realised what had happened, Lance-Corporal Gordon threw himself between the major and the muskets, pushing that officer out of the way. At the same moment the NCO was shot through the lungs.

GORE-BROWN, Henry George. (See Reg. No.136)

GORLE, Robert Vaughan. (reg No. 464).
Lieutenant. 'A' Battery, 50th Brigade, Royal Field Artillery.
London Gazetted on 14th December, 1918.
Born on 6th May 1896 at Southsea, Hampshire.
Died on 10th January, 1937 at Durban, Natal, South Africa.
Memorial on grave at Stella Wood Cemetery, Durban, South Africa.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 1st October, 1918 at Ledeghem, Belgium, Lieutenant Gorle was in command of an 18-pounder gun working in close conjunction with the infantry. He brought his gun into action in the most exposed position on four separate occasions and disposed of enemy machine guns by firing over open sights under direct fire. Later, when the infantry were driven back, he galloped his gun in front of the leading troops and twice knocked out enemy machine guns which were causing the trouble. His disregard of personal safety was a magnificent example to the wavering line which rallied and re-took the northern end of the village.

GORMAN, James. (reg No. 465).
Seaman. Royal Navy (Naval Brigade.)
London Gazetted on 24th February 1857.
Born on 21st August 1834 at Islington, London.
Died on 18th October, 1882 on Spectacle Island, Parramatta River, Sydney, Australia.
Memorial is on the War Memorial in Old Pioneers Park, Liechardt, Sydney.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 5th November 1854 at the Battle of Inkerman, Crimea, when the Right Lancaster Battery was attacked and many of the soldiers were wounded, Seaman Gorman, with two other seamen * and two others who were killed during the action, mounted the defence work Banquette and, under withering attack from the enemy, kept up a rapid, repulsing fire. Their muskets were reloaded for them by the wounded soldiers under the parapets and eventually the enemy full-back and gave no more trouble.
* T Reeves (reg No. 1034) and M. Scholefield (reg No. 1116) .
Additional information:. Gorman was later promoted to Captain of the After Guard. It is noted that the two other seamen, who were killed during the action, remain unrecognised. Their part in this action was every bit as brave as the others but the Victoria Cross, at that time, was not awarded posthumously.
The following information was sent by Letter from Sir S. Lushington dated 7th June 1856
At the Battle of Inkerman, on the 5th November 1854, when the Right Lancaster Battery was attacked; five men of the Royal Navy, under heavy enemy fire, mounted the Banquet and using muskets belonging to disabled soldiers kept up a steady firing. Other troops, below the parapet, kept the muskets loaded for them. Two of these men were killed in the action.
The surviving three, Thomas Reeves, James GORMAN and Mark Scholefield, all seamen, were awarded the Victoria Cross for the bravery displayed on that occasion. Unfortunately the two others that gave their lives in the action and, whose names are not known, got no official recognition as the Victoria Cross, at that time, was not awarded posthumously.

GORT, The Viscount John Standish Surtees Prendergast Vereka. (reg No. 466).
Lieutenant Colonel. Commanding 1st Battalion, Grenadier Guards.
London Gazetted on 27th November, 1918.
Born on 10th July 1886 on the Isle of Wight.
Died on 31st March 1946 at London.
Memorial at the St John the Baptist Church at Penshurst, Kent.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 27th September 1918 at the Canal du Nord near Flesquieres, France, Lieutenant Colonel Gort led his battalion under very heavy fire and although wounded, when the Battalion was held up, he went across open ground to obtain assistance from a tank and personally led it to best advantage. He was again wounded but after lying on a stretcher for a while, insisted on getting up and directing the further attack which resulted in the capture of over 200 prisoners, two batteries of field guns and numerous machine-guns. He refused to leave the field until the success signal had gone up on the final objective.
Additional information:. Field-Marshal Gort was at a Knight Grand Cross of the Bath (GCB), a Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE), a holder of the Distinguished Service Order (DSO) and 2 Bars, a Member of the Royal Victorian Order (MVO) and Military Cross (MC).
He had an extensive military career during which time he was Chief of the Imperial General Staff from 1937-39 after which he became C-in-C British Field Force until 1940.
From 1940-41 he was the Inspector-General of the Home Guard as well as having the responsibility to the Forces for training.
He served as Aide-de-Camp to King George VI until 1944, during which time he was also C-in-C Gibraltar until 1942, followed by C in C Malta from 1942-44.
From 1944-45 he was the High Commissioner and C-in-C for Palestine as well as High Commissioner for Trans Jordan.
He was the Commandant the Honourable Artillery Company 1943-46.
He was the father in-law of Major W P Sidney VC. (reg No. 1143).

GOSLING, William. (reg No. 467).
Sergeant. Third Wessex Brigade, Royal Field Artillery.
London Gazetted on 14th June, 1917.
Born on 15th August, 1892 at Wanborough, Swindon, Wiltshire.
Died on 12th February, 1945 at Wroughton, Wiltshire.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 5th April, 1917 near Arras, France, a bomb which had a faulty cartridge, fell 10 yards from the Mortar. Sergeant Gosling sprang out, lifted the nose of the bomb which had sunk into the ground, unscrewed the fuse and threw it on the ground where it immediately exploded. This very gallant action undoubtedly saved the lives of the whole detachment.
Additional information:. Later in his career he became a Major.

GOUGH, Charles John Stanley. (reg No. 468).
Major. 5th Bengal European Cavalry.
London Gazetted on 21st October, 1859.
Born on 20th January, 1832 at Chittagong, India.
Died on 6th September, 1912 at Clonmel, Tipperary, Ireland.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 15th August, 1857 at Khurkowdah, India, Major Gough saved the life have his brother * who was wounded, and killed two of the enemy. On 18th August he led a troop of the Guide Cavalry in a charge and cut down two of the enemy's sowars after a hand-to-hand combat with one of them. On 27th January, 1858, in a charge, he attacked one of the enemy's leaders and pierced him with his sword which was carried out of his hand in the melee. He defended himself with his revolver and shot two of the enemy. On 23rd February at a Meangunge he went to the assistance of a major and killed his opponent.
* Lieutenant H H Gough (reg No. 469) brother of Major Charles Gough VC. (above).
Additional information:. General Charles Gough VC was also a holder of the Knight Grand Cross of the Bath (GCB). He was also the father of Brevet-Major John Edmond Gough VC.

GOUGH, Hugh Henry. (reg No. 469).
Lieutenant. 1st Bengal European Light Cavalry.
London Gazetted on 24th December 1858.
Born on 14th November, 1833 in Calcutta, India.
Died on 12th May, 1909 in London, England.
Memorial on grave in Kensal Green Cemetery, London.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 12th November 1857 Alumbagh, India, Lieutenant Gough charged across the swamp and captured two guns which were defended by a vastly superior body of the enemy. His horse was wounded in two places and he himself received sword cuts through his turban. On 25th every 1858 at Jallalabad he set a magnificent example to his regiment when he was ordered to charge a the enemy's guns. He engaged himself in a series of single combats until at length he was disabled by a musket ball through his leg whilst charging two Sepoys with fixed bayonets.
Additional information:. General Sir Hugh Gough VC also was a holder of the Knight Grand Cross of the Bath. (GCB). From 1898-1909 he was the Keeper of the Crown Jewels at the Tower of London.
He was the brother of General Sir Charles Gough VC. And was the uncle of Brevet-Major John Gough VC.

GOUGH, John Edmond. (reg No. 470).
Brevet-Major. The Rifle Brigade. (Prince Consort's Own).
London Gazetted on 15th January 1904.
Born on 25th October 1871 at Muree, India.
Died on 22nd February, 1915 at Estaires, France (Died on of wounds).
Memorial at Estaire's Communal Cemetery, France and on the Rifle Brigade Memorial at Winchester Cathedral.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 22nd April, 1903 after the action at Daratoleh, Somaliland, Major Gough who was in charge of the column, came back to help two captains * who were with a mortally wounded officer. They managed to get him on a camel, but he was wounded again and Died on immediately.
* Captain W.G. Walker (reg No. 1261) and Captain G M Rolland (reg No. 1179) who were both awarded the Victoria Cross for their gallantry in this situation.
Additional information:. Brigadier General Sir John Gough was also a Knight Commander of the Bath (KCB) and a Companion of St Michael and St George. (CMG).
From 1907-09 he was Inspector-General of the King's African Rifles.
His first active service was in British Central Africa during the period 1896-97. He was with the expedition that saw service against Chitsusi and Chilwa. He also saw service at the Battle of Khartoum, Sudan in 1898 as well as being at the South Africa War in the defence of Ladysmith. He was also in the actions that took place at Laing's Nek, Belfast and Lydenberg. He received the Queen's and King's medals with five clasps and had been mentioned in Despatches three times.
He Died on in his wounds, received in France, on 22nd February 1915 at the age of 43. His obituary appeared in the Times on 24th February 1915.

GOULD, Thomas William. (reg No. 471).
Petty Officer. Royal Navy.
London Gazetted on 9th June 1942.
Born on 28th December, 1914 at Dover.
Died on 6th December, 2001

Digest of Citation reads:
On 16th February, 1942 north of Crete, HM Submarine Thrasher, after attacking and sinking a supply ship, was itself attacked, and later, after surfacing, two unexploded bombs were discovered in the gun casing. The first Lieutenant * and Petty Officer Gould removed the first one without too much difficulty, but the second was lying in a very confined space and they had to approach it lying full length. Petty Officer Gould then lay on his back with the bomb in his arms while the Lieutenant dragged him along by the shoulders. It was 40 minutes before they got the bomb clear and dropped it over the side.
* beat P.S.W.Roberts (reg No. 1063).
Additional information:. Lieutenant Commander Gould was deeply attached to his Jewish roots. He fought continually for the right's of the Jewish people in Palestine from the time he left the service in 1946 until the Jewish nation of Israel was established in 1948. He was a proud member of the following service associations, the Royal British Legion, Royal Naval Association and the International Submarine Association.
In 1941 he married Phyllis Eldridge and they had one son. Phyllis passed away in 1985. His younger brother, who was also in the Royal Naval Submarine Service was lost during the war.
At the time of this entry, December 10th, 2001, Lieutenant Commander Gould's death at the age of 86 years leaves 19 holders of the Victoria Cross still living.

GOURLEY, Cyril Edward. (reg No. 472).
Sergeant. 'D' Battery, 276th (West Lancs.). Brigade, Royal Field Artillery.
London Gazetted on 13th February, 1918.
Born on 19th January, 1893 at Wavertree, Liverpool, Lancashire.
Died on 30th January, 1982 at Haslemere, Surrey.
Memorial at Grayswood College, Chiddingfold, Surrey and at the Memorial College at West Kirby, The Wirral.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 30th November 1917 that Little Priel Farm, East of Epehy, France, Sergeant Gourley was in command of a section of howitzers. During an enemy advance, when their forces were within a few hundred yards of him, both to the front and on one flank, and though plagued by snipers, Sergeant Gourley managed to keep one gun firing. At one point he pulled the gun out of the pit and engaged a machine gun at 500 yards, knocking it out with a direct hit. All day he held the Germans in check, firing over open sights on enemy parties, thereby saving his guns, which were withdrawn at night fall.
Additional information: Captain Gourley also was awarded the Military Medal (M M).

GRADY, Thomas. (reg No. 473).
Private. 4th Regiment. (King's Own (Royal Lancaster) Regiment).
London Gazetted on 23rd June, 1857
VC Medal's Custodian is the Australian War Memorial, Canberra, Australia..
Born on 18th September, 1835 at it Cheddah, Galway, Ireland.
Died on 18th May 1891 at Victoria, Australia.
Memorial on grave at Melbourne General Cemetery, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia and at The Priory, Lancaster.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 18th October, 1854 in the Crimea, Private Grady volunteered to repair the embrasures of the Sailor's Battery on the Left Attack and carried out this task under very heavy fire from a line of batteries. On 22nd November during the repulse of a Russian attack, although severely wounded, Private Grady refused to leave the front and his example encouraged the weak force which was engaging the enemy to maintain their position.
Additional information:. Sergeant Grady also held the Distinguished Conduct Medal. (DCM)
GRAHAM, Gerald. (reg No. 474).
Lieutenant. Corps of Royal Engineers.
London Gazetted on 24th February, 1857.
Born on 27th June 1831 at Acton, London.
Died on 17th December, 1899 at Acton, London.
Memorial on grave at St Mary's Church, Bideford, Devon.
. Digest of Citation reads:
On 18th June, 1855 in the Crimea, Lieutenant Graham, accompanied by a Sapper * showed determined gallantry at the head of a ladder party at the assault on the Redan at Sebastopol. He also went out on numerous occasions to bring in wounded officers and men.
* J Perie. (reg No. 983).
Additional information:. Lieutenant General Sir Gerald Graham was a Knight Grand Cross of the Bath (GCB), also a Knight Grand Cross of St Michael and St George. (G C M G) and the Légion d'Honneur of France.


GRAHAM, John Reginald Noble. (reg No. 475).
Lieutenant. 9th Battalion, Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders attached to 136th Company, Machine-Gun Corps.
London Gazetted on 14th September, 1917.
Born on 17th September, 1892 at Calcutta, India.
Died on 6th September, 1980 at Edinburgh.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 22nd April, 1917 at Istabulat, Mesopotamia, Lieutenant Graham was in command of a machine gun section which came under very heavy fire. When his men became casualties he insisted on carrying the ammunition and although twice wounded, he continued in control and with one gun opened accurate fire on the enemy. This gun was put out of action and he was again wounded and forced to retire, but before doing so he disabled his gun and then brought a Lewis gun into action with excellent effect until all the ammunition was expended. He was wounded yet again and was again forced to retire.
Additional information:. Lieutenant Colonel Graham also held the Order of the British Empire (O B E).
He also served in World War II. In peacetime, from 1959 to 1979 he was a Gentleman Usher of the Green Rod to the Most Noble Order of the Thistle.

GRAHAM, Patrick. (reg No. 476). (or GRAHAME)
Private. 90th Regiment. Scottish Rifles. Perthshire Volunteer Light Infantry.
London Gazetted on 24th December 1858.
Born on in 1837 at St Michael's, Dublin, Ireland.
Died on 3rd June 1875 at Dublin, Ireland.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 17th November, 1857 at Lucknow, India, Private Graham brought in a wounded comrade under very heavy fire.
Private Graham was elected by the private soldiers of his regiment for the Victoria Cross.

GRANT, Charles James William. (Reg No:477)
Lieutenant (later Brevet -Colonel) Indian Staff Corps.
London Gazetted on 26th May 1891.
Born on: 14th October 1861 at Bourtie, Aberdeen, Scotland.
Died on : 23rd November 1932 at Sidmouth in Devon.
Memorial not recorded.
Digest of Citation reads:
During the period 21 March to 9 April 1891 after the disaster at Manipur, Burma, Lieutenant Grant volunteered to attempt the relief of the British captives with 80 native soldiers. Inspiring his men with his example of personal daring and resource, the lieutenant captured Thobal near Manipur, and held it against a large force of the enemy.
Additional information: He was the son of Lieutenant-General P.C.S. St .J. Grant and his wife Helen (She was the daughter of Col. William Bursett) He had a private education followed by the Royal Military College at Sandhurst.
On the 10th May 1882 he joined the Suffolk Regiment. He transferred to The Madras Staff Corps in 1884 where he was in the Burmese Expedition, gaining the Medal and Clasp for 1885-87.
The VC was awarded for gong to assist the Chief Commisioner's escort, which had suffered a defeat. With his native troops, a mix of Punjabis and Gurkhas he stormed Thobal, although wounded, until they were relieved (9th April); He had his horse shot from under him on the following 13th April; was severely wounded on the 25th of the same month. He was awarded a clasp to his Burma Medal.
He was promoted Captain on the 10th May 1891, the following day he was made Brevet-Major; Mentioned in Despatches the following August the 14th.
The men who had served under him and survived were awarded the Order of Merit for their devotion and heroism in the taking and holding of Thobal.
He was made ADC to Lt.-Gen. Sir J.C.Dormer, C-in-C, Madras.
In 1891 he married Mary Langlois, the widow of Mr.J.W.Langlois and the daughter of Mr.T. Denton Scholes.
He was promoted Lieut.-Colonel on the 1st June 1904 and a year later a Brevet-Colonel.
He retired on the 22nd October 1913, but during the European War (WWI) he served as the DCO, attached to the 3rd Royal Scots.

GRANT, John Duncan. (Reg.No.478)
Lieutenant (later Colonel) 8th Gurkha Rifles, Indian Army.
London Gazetted on 24th January 1905.
Born on: 28th December1877 at Roorkie, India.
Died on: 20th February 1967 at Tunbridge Wells in Kent.
No recorded Memorial
Digest of Citation reads:
On 6 July 1904 at the storming of the Gyantse Jong, Tibet, the storming company, led by Lieutenant Grant, had to advance up a bare,almost precipitous rock-face with little cover and under heavy fire. Showers of rock and stones were being hurled down the hillside by the enemy and only one man could go up at a time, crawling on hands and knees, Lieutenant Grant and a havildar* attempted to scale the final defensive curtain, but on reaching the top they were both wounded and hurled back. Regardless of their injuries, they made another attempt and, covered by fire of the men below, were at last successful (*Havildar Karbir Pun of the 8th Gurkha Rifles, awarded Indian Order Of Merit.).
Additional information: He was the son of Colonel suene Grant, Royal Engineers. His education was at Manor House School, Hastings followed by Cheltenham college anf the Royal Military College, Sandhurst. His Army career began as a 2nd Lieutenant on the 22nd January 1898 and being unattached, to any specific regiment, in 1899 he joined the Indian Army in the Staff Corps. He became a Lieutenant in the Indiamn Army the following year. He was wounded whilst serving in Tibet (1903-4) and was Mentioned in Despatches as well as winning the Victoria Cross. He also held the CB and the DSO.
He married Kathleen Mary Freyer, daughter of Lt.-Colonel P.J.Freyer. CB.,MD., IMS. at All Saints Church in Margaret St., London on the 19th January 1907. They had two children. A boy Hugh Duncan and a girl, Madeline.
In 1907 he was promoted Captain; As Brigade-Major to the 35th Brigade of the Imperial Expeditionary Force he served in Mesopotamia (Iraq) from the 30th November 1915 to13th January 1916 when he was wounded at Orah and was Mentioned in Despatches.
He went on to become Assistant Adjutant General at Army HQ, India from 1925 to 1928 then on to be Deputy Director of the Auxiliary and Territorial Indian Forces (1928-1929) before becomong a Colonel in the 10th Gurkha Rifles 1934-1947.

GRANT, John Gilroy (Reg. No.479)
Sergeant (later Lieutenant) 1st Battalion, Wellington Infantry Regiment, NZEF.
London Gazetted on 27th November 1918.
Born on 26th August 1889 at Hawera, New Zealand.
Died on 25th November 1970 at Auckland, New Zealand.
Memorial at Headquarters, Dunedin RSA, New Zealand.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 1 september 1918 near Bancourt, France, the leading wave of the battalion on reaching a crest of high ground, found that a line of enemy machine-guns offered a serious obstacle to further advance. Thecompany, however, advanced against these posts under point -blank fire, and when about 20 yards away Sergeant Grant, closely followed by a comrade, rushed ahead of his platoon, entering the centre post and demoralising the garrisonso that the platoon were able to mop up the positions. In the same manner he rushed the post on the left and the remaining posts were quickly occupied and cleared by his company.
Additional information: The Victoria Cross 1856-1920 states a more detailed citation than the above, adding, "Throughout the whole operation on this and the two previous days, Sergeant Grant sisplayed coolness, determination and valour of the highest order, and set a splendid example to all."

GRANT, Peter (Reg. No.480)
Private 93rd Foot Regiment (to become The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders.....Princess Louise's)
London Gazetted on 24th December 1858.
Born on: a date unknown in 1824 in Ireland.
Died on: 10th January 1868 at Dundee, Scotland.
Memorials not recorded.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 16 November 1857 at Lucknow, India, Private Grant showed great personal gallantry at the Secundra Bagh in killing five of the enemy with one of their own swords when they weere attempting to follow the colonel as that officer was carrying a Colour which he had captured. (He was elected by the regiment for the VC)
Additional information: He served in the Indian Mutiny. He Died on the 10th January 1868 by drowning, aged 44.


GRANT, Robert. (Reg.No. 481)
Sergeant 1st Battalion 5th Regiment (becoming The Northumberland Fusiliers)
London Gazetted on 19th June 1860.
Born on: a date unknown, in 1837 at Harrogate, Yorkshire.
Died on: 23rd November 1874 at London.
Memorial at Alnwick Castle, Northumberland, the Regimental Museum of the Northumberland Fusiliers.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 24 September 1857 at Alumbagh, India, Sergeant Grant went, under very heavy fire, to save the life of a private+ whose leg had been shot away. With the help of a lieutenant,* Sergeant Grant carried his wounded man to the safety of the camp. *(Lieutenant Brown.) +(Private E Deveney)
Additional information: There was an error in the announcement of the award of the VC in the London Gazette dated 19th June 1860. On the 2nd of October a correction appeared. "For 1st Battn. 5th Regt. Sergt. Robert Ewart, read 1st. Battn. 5th Regt. Sergt. Robert Grant. Erratum in London Gazette of Tuesday 19th June 1860."
Robert Grant Died on the 23rd, November 1874, at the age of 37, whilst serving as a Police Constable in 'Y' Division.


GRATWICK, Percival Eric. (reg No. 482).
Private. 2nd/4th Battalion (South Australia). Australian Military Forces.
London Gazetted on 28th January, 1943.
Born on 19th October 1902 at Katanning, Western Australia.
Died on 25th/26th October, 1942 at Miteiriya Ridge, Libya. (killed in action).
Memorial at El Alamein War Cemetery, Egypt and on the Australian War Memorial, Canberra, Australia.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 25th/26th October, 1942 during the attack at Miteiriya Ridge, Western Desert, the platoon to which Private Gratwick belonged suffered a considerable number of casualties, including the platoon commander and sergeant. Private Gratwick, realising the seriousness of the situation, charged on alone and with hand-grenades, killed the crew of an enemy machine gun and an entire mortar crew. Under heavy machine-gun fire he then charged the second post with a rifle and bayonet. In inflicting further casualties he was killed by machine-gun fire, but his brave and determined action enabled his company to capture the final objective.

GRAY, Robert Hampton. (reg No. 483).
Lieutenant Royal Canadian Naval Volunteer Reserve. 1841 Squadron, Fleet Air Arm.
London Gazetted on 13th November, 1945.
Born on 2nd November, 1917 at Trail, British Columbia, Canada.
Died on 9th August 1945 at Honshu, Japan. (killed in action).
Memorial on Halifax Memorial, Nova Scotia, Canada.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 9th August 1945 at Onagawa Wan, Japan, Lieutenant Gray led an attack on a Japanese destroyer. In the face of fire from shore batteries and heavy concentration of fire from some five warships, he pressed home his attack, flying very low in order to ensure success. Although he was wounded and his aircraft in flames he obtained at least one direct hit, sinking the destroyer. His aircraft crashed into the bay.
Additional information:. Lieutenant Gray also held the Distinguished Service Cross (DSC).

GRAY, Thomas. (reg No. 484).
Sergeant . 12 Squadron, Royal Air Force.
London Gazetted on 11th June 1940.
Born on 17th May 1914 at Urchfont, Devizes, Wiltshire.
Died on 12th May, 1940 at Maastricht, Holland.
Memorial at Heverlee War Cemetery, Louvain, Belgium. (killed in action).
Digest of Citation reads:
On 12th May, 1940, over the Albert Canal, Belgium, one bridge in particular was being used by the invading army, with protection from fighter aircraft, anti-aircraft and machine guns. The RAF was ordered to demolish this vital bridge, and five Fairey Battle bombers were dispatched with Sergeant Gray as the navigator in the plane leading the bombing attack. They met an inferno of anti-aircraft fire, but the mission was accomplished, much of the success being due to the coolness and resource of the pilot * of the leading aircraft and the navigation of Sergeant Gray. Unfortunately the leading aircraft and three others did not return.
* D.E. Garland (reg No. 443).
Additional information:. In the aircraft with Flying Officer Garland and Sergeant Gray was Leading Aircraftman Lawrence Reynolds, the air gunner.
LAC Reynolds was not even mentioned in the citation, although along with Garland and Gray he was a vital part of this brave, but suicidal, attack. He is recorded here as my tribute to the third-man.
It is fitting that the three men, crew of the Fairey Battle, are buried side by side in the Belgian graveyard at Louvain, the Heverlee War Cemetery, as they all bravely Died on together.

GRAYBURN, John Hollington. (reg No. 485).
Lieutenant. The Parachute Regiment (Army Air Corps).
London Gazetted on 25th January 1945.
Born on 30th January 1918 on the island of Manora, India.
Died on 20th September, 1944 at Arnhem, Holland. (killed in action).
Memorial at Arnhem Oosterbeek War Cemetery, Holland and in the Hong Kong and Shanghai Bank, in Gracechurch Street, London.
Digest of Citation reads:
During the period 17th/20th September, 1944 at Arnhem, Holland, at the assault on the bridge over the Rhine, Lieutenant Grayburn led his men with supreme gallantry and determination. Although wounded early in the action, in pain, short of food and without sleep, his courage never flagged. He constantly exposed himself to the enemy's fire, moving among his men encouraging them, and seemed oblivious to danger. If it had not been for his inspiring leadership and personal bravery, the Arnhem Bridge could never have been held for this time.

GREAVES, Fred. (reg No. 486).
Corporal. 9th Battalion. Sherwood Foresters. (Notts and Derby Regiment).
London Gazetted 26th November, 1917.
VC Medal's Custodian is the Sherwood Forester's Museum, Nottingham Castle, Nottingham.
Born on 16th May, 1890 at Killamarsh, Derbyshire.
Died on 11th June 1973 at Chesterfield, Derbyshire.
Memorial on grave at Brimington, Derbyshire.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 4th October 1917 at Poelcapelle, east of Ypres, Belgium, when the platoon was held up by machine-gun fire from a concrete stronghold and the platoon commander and sergeant were casualties, Corporal Greaves followed by another NCO, rushed forward, reached the rear of the building and bombed the occupants, killing or capturing the garrison and the machine-gun. Later, at a most critical period of the battles, during a heavy counter-attack, all the officers of the company became casualties and Corporal Greaves collected his men, threw out extra posts on the threatened flank and opened up rifle and machine-gun fire to enfilade their advance.

GREEN, John Leslie. (reg No. 487).
Captain. Royal Army Medical Corps, attached 1st Battalion, Sherwood Foresters. (Notts and Derby Regiment).
London Gazetted on 5th August, 1916.
Born on 4th December, 1888 at St Neots, Huntingdonshire.
Died on 1st July, 1916 at Foncquevillers, France.
Memorial at Foncquevillers Military Cemetery, France.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 1st July, 1916 at Foncquevillers, France, Captain Green, although wounded himself, rescued an officer who had been wounded and was caught up in the enemy's wire entanglements. He dragged him to a shell-hole where he dressed his wounds, notwithstanding the bombs and grenades being thrown at him the whole time. Captain Green then tried to bring the wounded officer to safety and had nearly succeeded when he was himself killed.

GREEN, Patrick. (reg No. 488).
Private. 75th Regiment (Gordon Highlanders).
London Gazetted on 26th October 1858.
Born on in 1824 at Ballinasloe, County Galway, Ireland.
Died on 19th July, 1889 at Cork, Ireland.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 11th September, 1857 at Delhi, India, when a picket at Koodsia Bagh, Private Green although surrounded by many of the enemy, successfully rescued a comrade who had fallen, wounded, as a skirmisher.
Additional information:. Copy of a general order issued by the Commander in Chief in India reads:
General Order, headquarters, Allahabad. 28th July 1858. The Commander In Chief in India is pleased to approve that the undermentioned soldier is presented in the name of Her Most Gracious Majesty, with a medal of the Victoria Cross, for Valour and daring in the field, viz., Private Patrick Green, her Majesty's 75th Foot, for having, on 11th September, 1857, when the picket at Koodsia Baugh, at Delhi, was hotly pressed by a large body of the enemy, successfully rescued a comrade who had fallen wounded as a skirmisher. (signed) C.Campbell, General, Commander In Chief, East India. Patrick Green was promoted to Colour-Sergeant later in his career. He Died on 19th July 1889 at the age of 65.

GREENWOOD, Harry. (reg No. 489).
Lieutenant Colonel Commanding 9th Battalion, King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry.
London Gazetted on 26th December, 1918.
Born on 25th November, 1881 at Windsor, Berkshire.
Died on 5th May 1948 at Wimbledon, Surrey.
Memorial on grave at Putney Vale Cemetery and at Victoria Barracks, Windsor.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 23rd October 1918 at Ovillers, France, when the advance of the Battalion was checked by enemy machine-gun fire, Lieutenant Colonel Greenwood single-handed rushed the position and killed the crew. Subsequently, accompanied by two runners he took another machine-gun post, but then found that his command was almost surrounded by the enemy who started to attack. Repulsing this attack, the Colonel led his troops forward, capturing the last objective with 150 prisoners, eight machine-guns and one field gun. On 24 October he again inspired his men to such a degree that the last objective was captured and the line held in spite of heavy casualties.
Additional information:. Lieutenant Colonel Greenwood held the Distinguished Service Order (DSO) and Bar, the Order of the British Empire (OBE) and the Military Cross. (MC).
During World War II, from 1940-45, he served with the Pioneer Corps.

GREGG, Milton Fowler. (reg No. 490).
Lieutenant. Royal Canadian Regiment. Canadian Expeditionary Force.
London Gazetted on 6th January, 1919.
Born on 10th April, 1892 at Mountain Dale, New Brunswick, Canada.
Died on 13th March, 1978 at Fredricstown, New Brunswick, Canada.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
During the period 27th September to 1st October 1918 near Canbrai, France, Lieutenant Gregg showed most conspicuous bravery and initiative. Although wounded twice, he led his men against enemy trenches in which he personally killed or wounded 11 Germans, took 25 prisoners and captured 12 machine guns. In spite of his wounds he stayed with his company and a few days later again led his men in attack until severely wounded for the third time.
Additional information:. Brigadier Gregg was a Commander of the Order of British Empire (CBE), held the Military Cross (MC) and Bar.
Serving in World War II from 1939-45 he became Commandant of the Canadian Officer Cadet Training Unit in England in 1941. He was Colonel Commandant of the Officers' Training Centre in Canada in 1942 and in 1943 he was Brigadier Commandant at the Canadian School of Infantry.
Entering politics, from 1947-48 he was the Canadian Minister of Fisheries, following this then in 1948-50 he became Minister of Veterans Affairs. He was Minister of Labour from 1950-57 and in 1958-59 he was in Iraq with the United Nations Technical Assistance Team. He represented United Nations Children's Fund in Indonesia from 1960-63. He was the Canadian Commissioner to Guyana 1964-67.

GREGG, William. (reg No. 491).
Sergeant. 13th Battalion, Rifle Brigade (Prince Consort's Own).
London Gazetted on 28th June, 1918.
Born on 27th January, 1890 at Heanor, Derbyshire.
Died on 10th August, 1969 at Heanor, Derbyshire.
Memorial on the Rifle Brigade Memorial at Winchester Cathedral and at the Swimming Baths, Heanor, Derbyshire.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 6th May, 1918 at Bucquoy, France, when all the officers of Sergeant Gregg's company had been hit during an attack on an enemy outpost, he took command, rushing two enemy posts, killing some of the gun teams, taking prisoners and capturing a machine gun.. He then started to consolidate his position until driven back by a counter-attack, but as reinforcements had by now come up, he led a charge, personally bombed a hostile machine-gun, killed the crew and captured the gun. When driven back again, he led another successful attack and held on to his position until ordered to withdraw.
Additional information:. Company Sergeant-Major Gregg was also awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal (DCM) and the Military Medal (MM).
He was the son of Mr and Mrs William Gregg of 97, Yorke Street, Mansfield Woodhouse, Derbyshire. He attended Mundy Street School, Heanor after which he became a Miner at Shipley Colliery. On 25th June 1910 he married Sarah Hardy, daughter of Mr and Mrs William Hardy at Heanor Church, Derbyshire.
He enlisted on the 24th November 1914 as a private in the Rifle Brigade. While serving in the European War (WW 1) he was wounded on the Somme. On 4th February 1917 he went on a dangerous daylight patrol and obtained useful intelligence. For this he was awarded the Military Medal. On 30th November 1917 when the the enemy attacked in force, Sergeant Gregg seeing the Battalion on the left under heavy pressure, carried several messages across a road swept by a devastating machine-gun fire and was cut off from his company. He led a counter-attack, killing many and driving off the enemy. He was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal.


GRENFELL, Francis Octavus. (reg No. 492).
Captain. 9th Lancers (Queen's Royal).
London Gazetted on 16th November, 1914.
VC Medal's Custodian is 9th/12 Lancers Museum, The Strand, DERBY(Reg HQ).
Born on 4th September, 1880 at Hatchlands, Guildford, Surrey.
Died on 24th May 1915 at Hooge, Belgium. (killed in action).
Memorial on grave at Hooge, Belgium.

Digest of Citation reads:
On 24th August, 1914 at Audregnies, Belgium, Captain Grenfell rode with the Regiment in a charge against a large body of unbroken German infantry. The casualties and were very heavy and the captain was left as the senior officer. He was rallying part of the regiment behind a railway embankment when he was twice hit and severely wounded. In spite of his injuries, however, when asked for help in saving the guns, by the commander * of the 119th Battery, Royal Field Artillery, he and some volunteers, under a hail of bullets, help to manhandle and push the guns out a range of enemy fire.
* See E W Alexander (reg No. 16).


GRIBBLE, Julian Royds. (reg No. 493).
Captain. 10th (Service) Battalion. Royal Warwickshire Regiment.
London Gazetted on 28th of June, 1918.
Born on 5th January 1897 in London.
Died on 25th November 1918* in Germany (Died on of his wounds whilst a prisoner of war).
Memorial on grave at Niederzwehren Cemetery, Germany.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 23rd March, 1918 at Beaumetz, Hermies Ridge, France, Captain Gribble was in command of a company which was ordered to hold on at all costs. They were eventually isolated and he could easily have withdrawn when the Battalion on his left was driven back, but he obeyed his orders to the letter and when his company was finally surrounded by the enemy he was seen fighting to the last. He was taken prisoner and Died on in Germany of his wounds.
Additional information: . Captain Gribble was educated at Eton College and at the Royal Military College at Sandhurst. He joined the Royal Warwickshire Regiment on 15th May, 1915 as a Second Lieutenant and went off to serve in the European War (WW 1), In France.
Using a runner, to the company fighting on his left, he intimated his intention to hold the position until he received further orders from Battalion HQ. He fought to the last and was eventually taken prisoner. By a splendid example of courage and grit, and he was instrumental in delaying, for some hours, the enemy from taking the ridge. It was his self sacrifice that made it possible for the remainder of his own Brigade bob bob what will be to withdraw as well as a three batteries or Field Artillery and another garrison.
* According to the reports in "The Victoria Cross 1856-1920" Captain Gribble Died on Armistice Day 1918.

GRIEVE, John. (reg No. 494).
Sergeant-Major. 2nd Dragoons (Royal Scots Greys).
London Gazetted on 24th February, 1857.
Born on 3rd May, 1822 at Musselburgh, Midlothian, Scotland.
Died on 1st December, 1863 at Inveresk, Midlothian, Scotland.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 25th October, 1854 at Balaclava, Crimea, an officer in the heavy cavalry charge was surrounded by Russian cavalry and in great danger. Sergeant-Major Grieve rode up to his rescue, cutting off the head of one Russian and dispersing the others.
Additional information:. Before enlisting in the Grey's it is said, that as a young man, "he ran through a small fortune." It was while serving in the Crimean War that he rose to the rank of sergeant major. When offered a commission, and coming into more money, he accepted it. On 18th February, 1859 He was made adjutant of his regiment, a position he held until his death in 1863 at the age of 41.
He was the great uncle of Captain Robert Cuthbert Grieve VC. (reg No. 495).

GRIEVE, Robert Cuthbert. (reg No. 495).
Captain. 37th Battalion (Victoria), Australian Imperial Force.
London Gazetted on 2nd August 1917.
Born on 19th June 1889 at Brighton, Melbourne, Australia.
Died on 4th October 1957 at Melbourne, Australia.
Memorial on grave at Spring Vale Cemetery, Melbourne and on the Australian War Memorial, Canberra, Australia.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 7th June, 1917 at Messines, Belgium, during an attack on the enemy's position, and after his own company had suffered very heavy casualties, Captain Grieve located two hostile machine guns which were holding up his advance. Under continuous heavy fire from the two guns, he succeeded in bombing and killing the two gun crews, then reorganised the remnants of his own company and gained the original objective. Captain Grieve set a splendid example and when he finally fell, wounded, the position had been secured.
Additional information:. Captain Grieve was the son of John and Annie Deas Grieve. Educated at Caulfield Grammar-School and also at Wesley College, Victoria, Australia. On 9th June 1915 he enlisted in the Australian Imperial Force as a Private. He was given a commission in January 1916 in the 37th Battalion (Victoria). He was promoted to Lieutenant in May 1916 and to Captain in February the following year, 1917. He was sent to France and saw service to Armentieres, Bois Grenier, L'Epinette,Ploogsteert Wood, Messines, (where he won the VC), La Basse Ville and Warneton.
He was married to Mary Isabel, daughter of Mr and Mrs A.C.M.Bowman of Plinlimmon, Kurrajong, Australia, at Scots Church, Sydney, on 7th August 1918. Mrs Isabel Grieve served as a nursing sister with the AIF the three years. She had first met her husband at a casualty clearing centre and had nursed him through very serious illness. He was discharged from the army as medically unfit on 28th June 1918. He held the rank of Captain in the Australian Army Reserve. He was a member of the firm Grieve, Gardner and Company.
He was the great nephew of Sergeant-Major John Grieve VC. (reg No. 494).

GRIFFITHS, William. (reg No. 496).
Private. 2nd Battalion, 24th Regiment (South Wales Borderers).
London Gazetted on 17th September, 1867.
Born on in 1841 at County Roscommon, Ireland.
Died on 22nd January, 1879 at Isandhlwana. Zululand.
Tribute on the Regimental Memorial at Isandhlwana, Zululand.
Digest of Citation reads:
On some of May 1867 at the Island of a little Andaman, Bay of Bengal, Private Griffiths was one of a party of five * of the 2nd/24th Regiment, who risked their lives in manning a boat and proceeding through dangerous surf to rescue some of their comrades who had been sent to the island to find out the fate of the Commander and seven of the crew, who were landed from the ship Assam Valley and were feared murdered by the cannibalistic islanders.
* See David Bell (reg No. 75), J Cooper (reg No. 252), C M Douglas (reg No. 340) and T Murphy (reg No. 904).
His Victoria Cross was awarded, not in battle, but along with four others, for saving the lives of 17 officers and men who would otherwise been at risk from hostile natives (cannibals).
He held the rank of Cergeant when he was killed in the massacre at Isandhlwana, Zululand on 22nd January 1879.

GRIMBALDESTON, William Henry. (reg No. 497).
Company Quartermaster Sergeant. 1st Battalion, King's Own Scottish Borderers.
London Gazetted on 14th September, 1917.
Born on 19th September, 1889 at Blackburn, Lancashire.
Died on 13th August, 1859 at Blackburn, Lancashire.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 16th August, 1917 at Wijdendrift, Belgium, Company Quartermaster-Sergeant Grimbaldeston noticed that the unit on his left was held up by enemy machine-gun fire from a Blockhouse. Arming himself with a rifle and hand-grenade he started to crawl towards his objective, and when he had advanced about 100 yards another soldier came forward to give covering support. Although wounded, he pushed on to the Blockhouse, threatened the machine-gun teams inside with a hand-grenade and forced them to surrender. This action resulted in the capture of 36 prisoners, six machine-guns, and one trench mortar.
Additional information:. Company Quartermaster Sergeant Grimblaldeston also held the Croix de Guerre of France.

GRIMSHAW, John Elisha (reg. No. 498).
Corporal. 1st Battalion The Lancashire Fusiliers.
London Gazetted on 15th March 1917.
Born on: Abram, Wigan Lancs on the 20th January 1893
Died on: Isleworth, London on the 20th July 1980.
Memorial Cremated at S.W. London Crematorium, Hamwell, Middlesex.
One other decoration: The Distinguished Conduct Medal
Digest of Citation reads:
On the 25th April 1915 west of Cape Helles, Gallipoli, three companies and the Headquarters of the 1st Battalion, Lancashire Fusiliers, when landing on West Beach, were met by very deadly fire from hidden machine-guns which caused a large number of casualties. The survivors however, rushed up and cut the wire entanglements not withstanding the terrific fire from the enemy and after overcoming supreme difficulties the cliffs were gained and the position maintained. (Corporal Grimshaw was one of the six members of the Regiment elected for the award. The other five* were BROMLEY. C; KENEALLY, W; RICHARDS A.J; STUBBS, F.E; and WILLIS, R.R). * SEE INDIVIDUAL CITATIONS.
. He was mentioned in Sir Ian Hamilton's Despatch. Corporal Grimshaw's own account. given at the time, was as follows, "In boats we got within 200 or 300 yards from the shore when the Turks opened a terrible fire. Sailors were shot deed at their oars. With rifles held over our heads we struggled through the barbed wire in the water to the beach and fought a way to the foot of the cliffs leaving the biggest part of our meen dead and wounded." He would say nothing of his own experiences.
He had been content with his DCM until he was informed by the Hull representative of the Daily Despatch that he had been elected by his comrades for the VC. His comment was, "Whose leg are you pulling."
He was presented with a gold watch by the people of Abram and district in Lancashire. He was one of 32 survivors from a body of 800 men who had been in the landing on West Beach.
Corporal Grimshaw came from a large family and all the males worked down the mine. He joined the army on the 13th August 1912 at the age of 19 and was serving in India, at the outbreak of the European War (WW I), and from there he was sent to Gallipoli.
After recovering from severe frost-bite he was posted to Hull as a Musketry Instructor. It was here he met and married, within three months, Miss Margaret Stout (Maggie). They had two children, a daughter Mary and a son Leslie.
He continued his military career finishing as a Lieutenant Colonel.
Lt. Col Grimshaw was said by his niece, Mrs Louie Davis, to be a very private man who shunned publicity. He spent his last days at Twickenham and nobody there knew that he held the Victoria Cross.


GRISTOCK, George. (reg No. 499).
Company Sergeant-Major. Royal Norfolk Regiment.
London Gazetted on 23rd August, 1940.
Born on 14th January, 1905 at Pretoria, Transvaal, South Africa.
Died on 16th June 1940 at Brighton, Sussex. (Died on of wounds) .
Memorial on grave at Bear Road Cemetery, Brighton, Sussex.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 21st May, 1940 near the River Escaut, Belgium, Company Sergeant-Major Gristock organised a party of eight Riflemen and went forward to cover the company's right flank, where the enemy had broken through. He then went on with one man under heavy fire and was severely wounded in both legs, but having gained his fire position undetected, he managed to put out of action a machine gun, which was inflicting heavy casualties and kill the crew of four. He then dragged himself back to the right flank position but refused to be evacuated until contact with the battalion had been established. He later Died on of his wounds.

GROGAN, George William St George. (reg No. 500).
Brigadier-General. Worcestershire Regiment, Commanding the 23rd Infantry Brigade.
London Gazetted on 25th July 1918.
Born on 1st September, 1875 at Plymouth, Devonshire.
Died on 3rd January 1962 at Sunningdale, Berkshire.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 27th May, 1918 at the River Aisne, France, Brigadier-General Grogan was in command of the remnants of the infantry of a division and attached troops. His utter disregard for personal safety combined with sound practical ability helped to stay the onward thrust of the enemy. He rode up and down the front line encouraging his troops under artillery, trench mortar, rifle and machine-gun fire and when one horse was shot under him, he continued encouraging his men on foot until another horse was brought. As a result of his actions the line was held.
Additional information:. Brigadier-General Grogan was a Companion of the Order of the Bath (CB), a Companion of St Michael and St George (C M G). He also held the Distinguished Service Order (DSO) and a Bar. For the period 1933-1945 he was a member of His Majesty King George V's Body Guard
From 1938-45 he was Colonel,Worcestershire Regiment. He was a Member of the Honourable Corps of Gentlemen-at-Arms.
On the 5th September 1896 he was made Second Lieutenant in the West India Regiment becoming a Lieutenant on 22nd December, 1897. In 1898 he saw service in Sierra Leone and in West Africa 1898-99 where he got the Medal.
As a captain he worked with the Egyptian army from May 1902 to May 1907. On 27th March in 1907 he transferred to the Yorkshire Light Infantry and the following year, on 18th January, he transferred to the Worcestershire Regiment.
From 1914 the served in the European War (WW1) being promoted to Major on 28th September 1914 and to Temporary Lieutenant Colonel on 22nd March 1915.
In 1916 he was created a Companion of the Order of St Michael and St George and was mentioned in Despatches and was also awarded the Distinguished Service Order. It was as a Temporary Brigadier-General when he was awarded the Victoria Cross. Just two days later he was awarded a Bar to his DSO.
In 1919 he was given the command of the 1st Brigade of the Russian Relief Force and was created a Companion of the Order of the Bath.


GUISE, John Christopher. (reg No. 501).
Major. 90th Regiment. (Cameronians...... Scottish Rifles).
London Gazetted on 24th December, 1858.
Born on 27th July, 1826 at Highnam, Gloucestershire.
Died on 5th February 1895 at Gorey, County Wexford, Ireland.
Memorial at Elmore Church, Gloucestershire.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 16th and 17th November, 1857 at Lucknow, India, Major Guise, together with a sergeant *, saved the life of a captain at the storming of the Secundra Bagh and also went in under heavy fire to help two wounded men. In fact he acted with gallantry throughout the operation for the relief of the Lucknow garrison.
* S Hill (reg No. 569). Both Major Guise and Sergeant Hill were elected by the Regiment for the Victoria Cross.
Lieutenant General Sir John Guise was also a Companion (of the Order) of the Bath. (CB). From 1890 he was the Colonel of the Leicestershire Regiment.

GUNN, George Ward. (reg No. 502).
Second Lieutenant. 3rd Regiment. Royal Horse Artillery.
London Gazetted on 21st April, 1942.
Born on 26th July 1912 at Muggleswick, County Durham.
Died on 21st November, 1941 at Sidi Rezegh, Libya. (killed in action) .
Memorial on grave at Knightsbridge War Cemetery, Acroma, Libya.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 21st November, 1941 at Sidi Rezegh, Libya, an attack by 60 German tanks was countered by four anti-tank guns under the command of Second Lieutenant Gunn. During the engagement this officer drove from gun to gun in an unarmoured vehicle, encouraging his men, and when three of his guns were destroyed and the crew the fourth, except there sergeant, were all dead or disabled, he took charge of the remaining weapon the portee of which was alight. There was danger of the flames exploding the ammunition with which the portee was loaded, but he managed to fire 50 rounds and set two enemy tanks on fire before he himself was killed.
Additional information:. Second Lieutenan Gunn also held the Military Cross (MC).

GURNEY, Arthur Stanley (Reg. No.503)
Private 2/48th Battalion (Southern Australian) Australian Military Forces.
London Gazetted on 14th September 1942.
VC Medal's Custodian is the Australian War Memorial, Canberra, Australia.
Born on 15th December 1908 at Day Dawn, in the Murchison Goldfields, Western Australia.
Died on 22nd July 1942 at Tel-el-Eisa in Egypt. (Killed in Action)
Memorials are on Grave 21, Row H, Plot XVI, in El Alamein War Cemetery and also on the Australian War Memorial in Canberra.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 22 July 1942 at Tel-el-Eisa, Egypt, the company to which Private Gurney belonged was held up by intense machine-gun fire, heavy casualties being suffered, including all the officers,. Private Gurney, realizing the seriousness of the situation, charged the nearest machine-gun post, silencing the guns and bayoneting three of the crew. He bayoneted two more at a second post, and was then knocked down by a grenade, but picked himself up and charged a third post. Nothing more was seen of him until later, when his body was found by his comrades, whose advance he had made possible.


GUY, Basil John Douglas. (reg No. 504).
Midshipman. Royal Navy.
London Gazetted on 1st January 1901.
Born on 9th May 1882 at Bishop Auckland, County Durham.
Died on 29th December, 1956 at London.
Memorial on grave at Pirbright, Surrey and on the family memorial at Christ Church, Harrogate.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 13th July, 1900 during the attack on Tientsin, China, a very heavy crossfire was brought to bear on the Naval Brigade and there were several casualties. Among those who fell was an able seaman, shot about 50 yards short of cover. Midshipman Guy stopped with him and tried, unsuccessfully, to lift him up, so after bandaging his wounds he ran to get help. During this time the enemy were concentrating their fire on the two men. Shortly after Mr Guy got under cover the stretchers arrived, and he again ran out and helped to bring in the wounded man, who was unfortunately shot again and Died on before he could be got to safety.
Additional information:. Commander Guy also held the Distinguished Service Order.